“An Exceptional Restaurant” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The White Horse

The White Horse
Ranked #106 of 514 Restaurants in Exeter
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Kids, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Catterick, United Kingdom
“An Exceptional Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

We were staying at Brooklands Farm with our caravan which is about 600 yards away and I planned to have a meal out on the last evening of our holiday. The White Horse Inn had come up while I was researching at home and we decided that we would visit it. I run a cleaning business across the Yorkshire Dales so I visit lots of pubs, restaurants and B&B's in that area so I'm well-versed in what makes things right. The establishment is in excellent condition inside and out, the car park is excellent, plenty of seating outside and some children's play equipment. The staff were friendly in a natural way rather than because they are at work so they have to be. I'm very partial to a gammon steak so that's what i ordered and it was really very good. My wife is qualified as a cook and she had the salmon fillet in a wine sauce and she said it was an excellent presentation. My 16 year old son was finally defeated by the chocolate mud pie! I was very impressed, I wouldn't hesitate to have another meal there and if you had a special occasion in mind and wanted to avoid any problems with a place, food or service then this is the place to go. The final bill was £85+ which isn't cheap but here was a classic example of you get what you pay for and was real value for money.

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Thoroughly recommend....!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

We all gathered here as cousins for a Saturday evening meal on our way down to a holiday in Cornwall. We were delighted. The food was second to none and the he man grill almost left one brother in law defeated for sheer size and variety of content - but happy to say, not quite! He managed to finish it! I had Surf and Turf, without the chips and it came with a huge salad and was delicious, steak cooked to perfection and juicy king prawnss to wrestle with.

The staff were charming, service was excellent and the facilities for the children to play on kept them very happy and just far enough away for their parents to keep an eye on them, but not close enough to stop adult conversation. Lovely views from the garden too,

All in all, as a fussy eater outer, I would have no hesitation in recommending this pub as a delightful experience of eating out.

Devon, United Kingdom
“Exceptional quality food and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

Called in for casual lunch and was met by very friendly staff.
Comprehensive menu, good selection of ales and wines.
Generous helpings of well prepared wholesome food.
Will defineatley return.
Sunday lunch looks good.

1 Thank peter C
South West England
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

Visited with friends for dinner. Not been for several years but suggested this pub because it was halfway to meet. Not disappointed. The service was second to none. All the staff were friendly and attentive. Meal was gorgeous. I had the Brill with scallops and prawns off the special board, my husband had the spare ribs (which he said were the best hes ever tasted) our friends ordered the prawns and steak. The order was delivered within 20 minutes. Excellent portion sizes. All very tasty. Couldnt fault anything. We will certainly be going back. We visited some years ago on a regular basis but stopped going. The meals are reasonably priced and you get plenty of food. Nice atmosphere.

1 Thank cookie250
Ottery St. Mary, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“mean portion”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

Been here several times this year but was sooo disappointed today by the really tiny portion. Others in party had good portions and good value for the money. All I can say is if you are reasonably hungry do not order the chicken with BBQ sauce, bacon and cheese melt. It was the smallest portion I have ever had, coming with a few chips and small bowl of salad for £12. The gammon steak 10oz came with chips, egg, mushrooms, peas, pineapple and was £2 Cheaper! Obviously we complained but although they were sorry were not prepared to do anything. As always, we will vote with our feet.

Visited July 2014