“AWESOME GUYS! - Actually no”

Clip 'n Climb Exeter
Ranked #2 of 22 Fun & Games in Exeter
More attraction details
Owner description: The ultimate vertical playground - Clip 'n Climb Exeter's themed climbing arena provides healthy and challenging climbing fun for everyone ages 4 & up! With 26 different climbs for you to try there is fun for all the family as you clip in and climb up - no experience is necessary and our auto belay systems mean that climbing has never been simpler. Test your resolve and determination on Inflated, climb commando style on the Jungle Gym, reach new heights on the Skyscraper, take the Speed Climbing challenge or light up the board on the Checkerplate. These are just a few of the climbs we offer. Or, for the ultimate challenge - sign up for the Leap of Faith! (Minimum Height 120cm).
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“AWESOME GUYS! - Actually no”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Went with three of my children. Didn't realise that first half hour of session entailed being patronised & shouted at by wannabe PE teacher less than half my age. This was supposedly the 'safety briefing'. The woman leading it is obviously used to shouting at groups of unruly children.

The actual climbing experience was lots of fun, despite there being too many climbers for the number of climbs available & too few staff 'clippers'. Too much time waiting for a (sometimes surly) clipper to attach us to our next climb. Not worth the money.

5 Thank Laurance D

york
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“A great energetic family day out!”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

My suggestion to parents is - join in!!A bit pricey but so worth it, my youngest aged 6 is mad about climbing my 8 year old is not usually fussed but we all had a brilliant time here. Wonderful instructors who build confidence, very safety conscious and fun. So worth it but could see that standing on the sidelines would be a bit of a drag. It only last about an hour and a half which you think won't be long enough but it is! Make sure you wear trainers and no skirts! Fabulous thank you!

Visited July 2014
Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Fab for kids, not too great for the parents!”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We visited Clip 'n Climb whilst on a family holiday last week (two adults and two children). We pre-booked earlier in the week but when we arrived, there were nearly 30 people in our group, it was very busy. My wife and I quickly realised that we were the only adults booked on!

At the end of the safety briefing, the instructor asked for several parents to volunteer themselves as 'clippers' - these would be responsible for clipping the climbers on and off the ropes. These could only be people who weren't actually climbing themselves. About 4 parents volunteered.

I very quickly realised that, as a parent who had paid to climb myself, I had wasted my £17.50 booking fee, as my kids needed me to help them. My wife felt the same (also having paid £17.50), but I encouraged her to climb a few times whilst I kept an eye on our two children (aged 5 and 8). In the end, I climbed once and my wife climbed three times. Had we realised how few official staff members would be on hand to help out, we definitely wouldn't have booked on ourselves.

What was stranger still was that the voluntary 'clippers' were frantically going from climber to climber, clipping and unclipping people. This led to most of them not actually spending much one-on-one time with their own children. Two of them (tongue firmly in cheek!) commented on how they should get paid for it, and one of the children was visibly upset that they weren't receiving their parent's full attention.

All in all, our kids LOVED the experience itself - having now been, I wish my wife and I hadn't wasted £35 on booking ourselves on, as it was a waste of money. Although the 2-3 staff members in attendance were nice, they offered very little in the way of one-to-one support to the children, and for the most part, the volunteer 'clippers' obviously felt they were unqualified/unsuited to advise.

I really think the onus should be on Clip 'n Climb to supply sufficient paid members of staff to provide support to the climbers so that the parents can join in the experience, too, rather than have to act as an unpaid volunteer to help out all the other people in the group.

In summary, I would give the experience itself a good 4-5 stars for confident and able children, but the lack of staff (particularly to help out the younger, inexperienced ones) lets it down.

4 Thank Cheddar75
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great fun :-) ”
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Wasn't sure about this place - very glad we tried it. Boys absolutely loved it and we will be returning.

1 thing I would like to see change seeing as we are paying for a service from clipnclimb -
I do think the employees rely too much on the parents of the children taking part to clip and un clip their children and others though...many times kids were waiting around whilst staff members chatted amongst themselves.

1 Thank Steve P
Totnes, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Brilliant!!”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

What a great place in Exeter for us nan's and grandads to take the grandchildren. We didnt realise it was there but my 10 year and 5 year old granddaughters loved it. Very safety conscious so a well done for that. I think it is best to book your time slot, but well worth it and a brilliant and fun afternoon. Reasonable prices as well. Well done.