“Very good value for money”
Review of Globe Backpackers

Globe Backpackers
Ranked #16 of 22 Speciality Lodging in Exeter
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Very good value for money”
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Had a lovely stay there for plenty of reasons: shower room was super cool; kitchen was quite spacious; staff were friendly & fellow backpackers during my too-short stay were nice! Exeter itself is a wonderful city. And the Globe being near the Quay is defo a big plus!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 31 October 2012

This was my first stay at a backpackers and I'm glad it was at Globe.

Staff
The staff were really friendly and they made my stay fun. They were welcoming and were very helpful. As it was my first time in the UK, they told me all the places to visit - not just in Exeter but also all over. They never failed to clean the kitchen every night.

Facilities
The beds are double bunks in the mixed dorms. The room I was in was carpeted. There was a full length mirror, towel rack, windows (that actually can be opened and closed), small tables (about 1 for each bunk bed that serves as a bedside table) and lockable doors.

The bathrooms were amazing. I didn't expect them to be that good to be honest. I think they were newly refurbished and are very modern.

Although the toilets in the ground floor were not the same standards.

The kitchen, as I mentioned above is cleaned every night. They have an oven, microwave, fridge (no freezer) and a pantry. A sink (of course), kettle, plates, utensils, pots and pans. They have a free basket food where you can donate and get free food.

Stairs vs Lifts
There are no lifts... I didn't have a 'backpackers backpack' so I had to lug my luggage up the stairs. Which is fair enough since it IS a backpackers.

They have a lounge with entertainment like board games, a TV room, selection of DVDs and FREE WIFI. They have no computers so you would need to have your own laptop/tablet.

Room Tip: You can request to be in an all girls/all boys dorm but you must do this in advance.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2012

Myself and three friends have just stayed in this hostel and it was absolutely great! I found the two members of staff who we dealt with, both on arrival and leaving really friendly and helpful. The room was absolutely lovely, really big with tea/coffee making facilities, really clean and nicely decorated and was really reasonable. The shower rooms/wet rooms were lovely and lots of them. The whole place had a lovely welcoming atmosphere and I would have happily stayed longer. We would DEFINITELY go back there if visiting Exeter again. Thank you Backpackers! :-)

Room Tip: We had room on the top floor, big double bed and bunk beds (purple one in the picture). There was a...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 30 August 2012

I also have experienced the terrible attitude of the staff at this hostel. They just don't care about their guests. On my first night I accidently left my keys in my room when I went out. I couldn't get back into the hostel. Being a female travelling by myself, I was pretty freaked out about sleeping on the streets, so I ended up going to the local police station. The really nice policemen took me back to the hostel and yelled throguth the letterbox for someone to open the door. The staff told me later that it isn't their job to babysit backpackerrs. Charming! NOT! And unfortunately I had to keep on staying there due to no competiton in Exeter. And yes the bathrooms are good.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank BeanNZ

Travellers are raving about these Exeter hotels

Reviewed 21 August 2012

This is due to no competition which is sad for visitors, and a gold mine for the owners.
Exeter desperately needs an alternative backpackers.

Main gripes include;
Small, sweaty, smelly kitchen,
Squeaky bunk beds,
No in-room lockers,
Rude staff who have almost zero understanding of Customer Service.

The 1 good thing is new showers.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank ian2000gb
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed 21 August 2012

We had a pleasant stay in the Globe backpackers. The room was nice and big and even had matching colours and a plant. Our room had coffee making facilities which was great.

The guy behind the desk was not so friendly. You can check in after 3,.30 pm. It does say this on the website but unfortunately we did not read this.
Questions about the city of Exeter could not be answered, he was not interested in "old things and history" and could therefore not give us any information.
Shame!

Apart from the unfriendly guy at the desk our stay was good. Parking was expensive. We parked opposite and contrary to what we were told, parking fees have to be paid seven days a week.

The location is great. Near the centre. Our room at the front was a bit noisy. Not unexpected for a centre location.

We enjoyed the showers, they are nice and roomy with plenty of water. They could, however, use a good clean.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back may have less street noise.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Sussex
Reviewed 20 June 2012

My husband, myself, three young grand sons, son and his fiancee stayed here for one night after celebrating a family 50th Wedding Anniversary, 1st Birthday, and Jubilee celebration. Our stay was very pleasant. The young man at the reception was welcoming and helpful. The rooms were clean and the beds were very comfortable with tea and coffee making facilities in the rooms. The showers were modern with plenty of hot water. The whole environment was very good and we enjoyed our stay. The other plus was that it was virtually in the heart of Exeter so one could walk to everything. A very good place to stay, thank you.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
rockside1, Owner at Globe Backpackers, responded to this review, 18 July 2012
Thank you so much for your review. We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you back in Exeter again soon!