“Exceptional Staff!”

Ranked #17 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Devon
“Exceptional Staff!”
Reviewed 2 August 2012

I met a friend for an after work drink. The staff were some of the best I have ever experienced including that of 5 star hotels in London and the Middle East. They were all enthusiastic and friendly without being obtrusive. I cannot praise them highly enough. Whoever recruits/trains staff at this hotel should be highly commended! The decor is a little too sparse and contemporary for me, but thats just personal taste, most people would think it very chic....I'm looking forward to returning for lunch or dinner next time. Well done guys!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank breakaway2010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
Reviewed 1 August 2012

I stayed at Magdalen Chapter at the end of July 2012, not long after it had been refurbished. I chose the hotel due to it's location, a 2 nights for the price of 1 offer and because it was newly refurbished and I was curious.

The first night I stayed was the night before my wedding! I explained this to the reception staff when I made the booking and they suggested that they would "do something special" to celebrate the special occasion, but this didn't happen. I can overlook this though as the reception staff were extremely helpful and enthusiastic throughout my stay. I had lots of people coming up and down from my room on the morning of the wedding (hairdresser, beautician, bridesmaids etc) and they were all made to feel welcome and shown to the room each time.

The room itself: I was staying in the penthouse which although small was very stylish. As other guests have mentioned, the aircon doesn't seem to reflect the temperature stated on the monitor so I gave up with it and instead opened the doors to two lovely but small balconies that overlook the city. There is a complementary minibar and ren toiletries which were both appreciated, the bed is very comfortable and there was a decent flatscreen TV and comfy chairs. Room service was quick and unintrusive. A downside is that the water pressure in the shower isn't very good and it took me a long time to rinse the conditioner out of my hair! Also there was quite a lot of noise from the corridor, including the sounds of an amorous couple in the next room which I wouldn't have expected to have to listen to!

Breakfast offered a really good selection of homemade pastries, fruit, cereal and cooked food. On the first morning this went smoothly and I had the delicious granola followed by eggs benedict. On the morning after our wedding my husband and I were very disappointed as the staff took our order wrong. They brought my husband's breakfast and took my incorrect order away and I had to wait over 30 minutes for my breakfast, having chased them twice. My husband has finished his by the time my food arrived and to top it off my eggs benedict tasted like vinegar. Luckily when I mentioned this at reception upon check out the receptionist didn't hesitate in refunding breakfast for both of us.

All in all, I would say that the hotel is beautiful and I love the modern touches. The staff are enthusiastic and pleasant but perhaps inexperienced as mentioned in other reviews and may benefit from additional training. It would have been nice to have our wedding acknowledged with a complementary glass of bubbly, but perhaps this is being petty?

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank CherryVanilla80
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2012

We ate in the restaurant with friends. Good first impression, lovely building and decor. The restaurant seems small for the size of the hotel. The restaurant does look smart, stylish the balloon lights are brilliant! We were seated at a middle table, close to the service area and in the middle of the restaurant. The chairs were very comfortable and the table was round, which was quite sociable. We were given menus, and an Ipad of the wine list. This seems different and quite cool to begin with, until we passed the ipad around the group and realised it is very difficult to read the A3 menu and hold the Ipad.

Very friendly staff, but not very competent. We asked one girl to take a drinks order while we were looking at the menu and she said she was not allocated to look after our table. There seemed to be a lot of staff to customers. Obviously this would have been fine had the service been good, but we felt the service, although friendly and enthusiastic, was inefficient and poor. We did not receive olives as asked for, some starter plates were cleared but not all, and when asking for our bill were presented with (a cheaper) one for another table. The food was very good, we ate a mixture of a la carte and TDH. I would say this is a typical hotel restaurant, with good food. Lots of staff training needed... disappointing to see no clear restaurant manager present. Staff wear smart, cuff linked white shirts, aprons and... black and white converse??! Although I appreciate a modern twist on uniform, and service, I prefer to be waited upon by someone who looks smart, not casual - especially in a luxury hotel.

The Ipads as wine lists do not add anything... it is irritating to not be able to see the whole of the selection without scrolling down a screen. There is also no 'house wines' ie. recommended wines. You have to scroll throughout the whole of the list. The plus is that you can see all the information of the particular wine. The cheeses are amazing... perfect ripeness. Worth a visit for food and I'm sure the rooms are lovely. Restaurant just not amazing! Probably would be lots better with a good restaurant manager and some staff training. £160 for four, three courses, 2 bottles of wine, G & T each to start.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank appelbymerit
Liverpool
Reviewed 31 July 2012

My wife and I stayed here for two nights at the end of July - just a month or so after the hotel opened following an extensive refurbishment.

The first thing to say is that we really enjoyed our visit, which was no doubt helped by the very warm weather we experienced during the trip. From the minute you enter the lobby you can see that a lot of thought has gone in to making best use of original features while including modern touches. In terms of the latter, we particularly liked the iPads provided free of charge to guests for the duration of their stay, the REN toiletries and air con (though see below). The swimming pool - while not large – looked inviting and there is also a small gym. The grounds have been nicely landscaped with plenty of deckchairs to sit out and enjoy the sun. Our room was tastefully decorated with a large flat screen TV, wonderful bed, and free mini-bar, which was restocked daily. The quality of food and drink was very good (we enjoyed two breakfasts and one dinner) and reasonably priced. Although the hotel doesn't have its own car park there is one about 30 secs away and you can obtain a reduced rate from reception. All in all, the facilities are excellent for a hotel of this size.

Perhaps the hotel's best feature is its staff. All of whom we encountered were extremely helpful and genuinely friendly. Compared to many hotels - I speak from long experience - they actually appeared to enjoy their work, took pride in the hotel and were keen to make the stay as memorable as possible (one very nice touch was sending up two glasses of complimentary champagne as we were celebrating an anniversary).

However, and as other reviewers have highlighted, there are annoying things - some minor others less so - that detract from the overall experience. In fairness, this may simply be because staff are still finding feet; also, it could reflect the fact that in the rush to open they didn't have the chance to resolve all the little problems that beset a new development (we noticed that bits of work were still going on while we were there). Some of what I'm going to mention may sound petty (and risks getting into "Hotel Inspector" territory) but with a relatively small amount of work this could be a really exceptional hotel. So, in order of importance, the problems we encountered were:
1. When we returned to our room after a day's sightseeing (and having asked that the shower be fixed as we couldn't get any hot water) , the door had been left open and on the latch. Luckily, nothing was taken but it could have been very embarrassing if, for example, someone had removed the iPad and left us to foot the bill. We mentioned this on departure and the person we spoke to was apologetic, though I suspect from the response that this wasn’t the first time this had happened.
2. On one of the hottest days of the year (29 degrees) it took nearly three hours for the a/c to cool the room. Subsequently, and having got the temperature down to the level we wanted, it mysteriously rose to 23 degrees either as a result of manual intervention or some automatic programme kicking in. Also, even at 16 degrees (according to the thermostat) the room still felt quite warm.
3. Service at dinner was a bit haphazard - confusion over what we ordered; long wait for wine and then the waiter attempted to pour red into a glass that had previously contained white; and bringing the wrong bill. Having said that, everything was eventually sorted out and the food was excellent.
4. It appeared that some of the grouting around the bath and elsewhere in the bathroom had not been completed. Without claiming any expertise in this area I suspect that, unless rectified, this will cause leaks and/or require retiling at some time in the not too distant future.
5.As mentioned above, the hotel has a very pleasant garden and terrace. After dinner, we thought we’d take the chance to sit out and enjoy a drink or two on a warm Devon evening. We couldn’t understand why other people weren’t doing the same until we realized that the area near the bar was in almost total darkness. Strange, we thought, as there appeared to be lights strategically positioned to illuminate the trees. When we asked one of the staff if the lights could be turned on he explained that, unfortunately, the circuit had blown and they’d need to get an electrician in to fix them. However, he then very kindly brought us some candles to put on the table! We thought this was typical of the “go the extra mile” attitude of the staff.

In conclusion, we will definitely return and are already looking for an opportunity to visit!

Room Tip: Restaurant food excellent. Try and get a room overlooking the garden.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Couldn't wait for its replacement. So off we went to the Magdalen Chapter for a one night treat.
The building was worth the long wait. It is really gorgeous. We had a lovely spacious room (superior grade and worth it) with full bath and all the goodies. We were lucky in that the pool and spa were open, and would have been seriously disappointed if they had not been, in fact we would have cancelled or simply walked out.
There are plenty of accommodation choices near by, for example Southernhay house, which must be a competitor with stunning rooms and excellent food. However it is the whole package of bedrooms, public rooms, garden and restaurant which make this place stand out. I rated the breakfast as one of my top four hotel breakfasts ever.
We also had dinner, which was fine but not outstanding. The room however is just lovely, especially on a summer evening.
Staff are young and obviously inexperienced but eager to please, which is nice, but professional competence and efficiency would be even nicer. We did have a few niggles, like everyone on our corridor had their paper delivered except for us. The wrong wine was charged on the bill( at a higher price of course. Why are these mistakes never the other way about?). A couple of other special requests were agreed and not delivered.
Still, we had a great time and would recommend this hotel, but just check everything to make sure it is done as you wish.

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the garden, and if you ask for a particular room when you book, check...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
quijano, spain
Reviewed 29 July 2012

After having stayed in other hotels in Exeter over the past 3 years, I can wholeheartedly say what a shame that this hotel didn't open sooner! Rooms are of a decent size, bathrooms stocked with gorgeous soaps, shampoos (and more importantly, hair conditioner!) and bathrobes. All very clean and of good quality. Beds very comfortable and lighting (domotic) was wonderful. The free minibar is a very good idea and, I think, contains something for everyone. Nespresso machine in room was also very handy.
All the staff we met were very pleasant and appeared to enjoy interacting with the guests. The hotel is recently opened, so there were a few "hiccups", but all were solved with a smile and a couple of very efficient emails. I love the idea of the ipads, and it works! Booked taxis, wake up calls and restaurant via this media.
Breakfast (we had the "English") was lovely - all very high quality food and the buffet side was also very good.
We had dinner in the hotel, which was delicious. Only problem that we found was that the restaurant is very loud and difficult to hear each other speak.
All the public areas are well thought out, and although the hotel seemed to be full, there was always somewhere to sit and have a delicious cocktail.

All in all, one of the best hotels in the UK that I have visited. Hope to return shortly and make use of the spa (which wasn't open, but has since been inaugurated).

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank quijano
Jersey, UK
Reviewed 25 July 2012

This hotel has reopened in the last month or so after a long and comprehensive refurbishment. Good quality fixtures and a positive change from its former incarnation as the Barcelona.
However it remains aimed at the trendy end of the market and unfortunately is not quite delivering, perhaps it is early days.
Reception is confusing, a room to the left of the front door with three big lumps of wood with laptops on. When I arrived at c 6.30 pm there were no staff around which combined with the odd set up made it a bit uncomfortable. When a receptionist did arrive she was very pleasant, helpful and keen to please. However having to sign a computer screen to check in was a new and unusual experience for me. I was asked if I would like an I Pad for my stay but said no, but was asked if I would be ordering room service, which I was, and was told I had to do that by I Pad, so I took one..........£400 cost if I broke/lost/ or removed it.....
I was shown to my room which was a standard rather than superior. Reasonable size, nice wooden floor, high ceiling and well noise insulated from the road, but not particularly from the corridor. Good TV with Sky Sports and free WI fi which is positive. Very small cupboard with dust on shelf. Comfortable bed, small but adequate bathroom, but modest shower pressure. Nice REN toiletries. Limited but cpmplentary mini bar and good Nespresso machine.
Now the I Pad! I am computer savvy, have an I Phone but use a laptop for work, don't have an I Pad. Straightforward enough for me to use, but the Room Service application is a bit limited..... I couldnt find any white wine, the listing is not set out well, and when ordering my food there was no comment section for specific non standard requests such as "no goats cheese" in the cheese and biscuits section. Anyway having ordered my food came quickly,reasonable quality fish and chips, no salt and pepper, but the cheese selection had been forgotten, it was brought later, minus butter, which came on the third visit from the pleasant and well intentioned waitress. The only place to eat the food was a very small desk or perched on the end of the bed which is what I did. the "cheese selection" was one piece of ( pleasant) cheddar, some quince jelly and a few grapes with pleasant biscuits. Cheddar is not "a selection" but as I only discovered the meagre "selection" after the waitress had left for the third time I had lost the will to live and didn't ask for it to be amended, by I Pad or phone!
I ordered my papers for the morning via I
Pad (!), but the FT didn't arrive.
The nights sleep was OK, comfortable bed but efficient and quiet air conditioning difficult to get balanced between cold and warm, a bit frustrating.
I didn't bother with breakfast as I didn't fancy another charade of wrongly delivered orders, but maybe unfairly.
Checkout fine, keen staff, pleasant.

I travel a lot on business and stay in a mix of top end and mid to upper range hotels depending on what is available in a particular location. I need things to work, and for my stay to be relaxing and efficient. I usually travel alone and work in my room in the evening so the room and room service are important to me.
I tried Magdalen Chapter because it was new and I have done most of the other hotels in Exeter. It's a good quality refurbishment, but for me the trendy staff, I Pad fixation and seeing lack of senior management presence made this an unsatisfactory stay. I guess if you try to do seething different as Magdalen Chapter sets out to do them you need to deliver excellently on the product and bring the customer through the experience rather than potentially intimidate them. I wasn't intimidated, merely bemused, but I guess a number of people might be by the experience. It may just be teething problems given the relatively new opening. The hotel is part of a small chain, so I guess they know what they are doing, but I am not sure their target market for an innovative/trendy/unconventional hotel is big enough in Exeter. In any event they need to sort out the glitches in service delivery. The staff are pleasant and willing but the attention to detail is not right yet.

• Stayed July 2012