“The Emperor's New Clothes.” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel du Vin Exeter
Ranked #14 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Bristol, United Kingdom
“The Emperor's New Clothes.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

I went with friends to the restaurant to celebrate a birthday on a not so busy Monday night and we not impressed. The hotel itself was titillating and a jewel in an otherwise dull city. I think the architects at Feilden Clegg Bradley studios have delivered an understanding of their clients' needs. Its lovely, not moving to far away from the original structure and grandeur of the hospital building they have with utmost sensitivity and humanism pulled it in to the contemporary market. In design terms it appears a winner. The restaurant itself was fairly quiet, but it was a Monday night. We were shown to our table and given the menus which were taken away and replaced due to an alteration, we were then not seen by a server for almost 15 minutes. I flagged down one of the many inefficacious servers and asked for a wine list, an ipad was placed in the middle of the table with no explanation. I clearly was not interactive enough! But nor were the staff. Three servers saw to our needs badly. They were polite but flustered, well dressed but uncool with what they were actually supposed to be delivering. A simple menu with good ingredients and beautiful surroundings executed badly I am afraid. They were over staffed and unmanaged. Lets hope this is just a teething problem because the food was tasty but delivered with no passion or finesse which in turn mad the whole experience unremarkable. If apple made waiters?... So with your i pad in hand go and visit the Chapter house restaurant, you can sit opposite one another and tweet about how lovely the loos are. I will give it a few months to get over itself.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

I went with friends to the Restaurant last week-end and was not impressed.Firstly, we were told we had the wrong time.We booked for 8pm ( had confirmation email) which unfortunately we did not take with us, not thinking for one minute we would need it.Our table was eventually ready after 8.30pm. While waiting we had all decided what we would be eating,thinking maybe save some time.We were not served our main meal until 10.10pm. Service was very slow - even though there were plenty of staff.Will not be returning.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Nicola C
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2012

This has got to be probably the best hotel I have ever stayed in.
It is trendy, stylish and modern whilst at the same time it stays true to its origins- the long windows which let plenty of natural light in, the bright corridors.
My room was beautiful. My bed was so comfortable I just sank into it, I was so relaxed.
The bathroom was fab with a thoughtful shower attached to the rolltop bath perfect for hair washing (simple yet so many hotels dont think of this), and an amazing seperate shower.
The products in the room are of lovely quality- I know they are expensive- but so worth it.
Free mini bar- including a bottle of beer and small bottle of wine.
All the staff I came into contact with were so polite and I love their uniform!
The only criticism I have is that one night I ordered room service (through my lovely ipad!)and the dishes that came were not at all like they were described on the menu.
When dining in the restaurant on the 2nd night, the food was phenomenal and beautifully cooked, however we were sat at a table which wasnt fully laid, and again little things like we had to ask for bread and pepper.
Other than that I can safely say I will most definitely return as soon as I can!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2012

The new look hotel is beautiful and has a real wow factor. Drink service in the bar was slow and it took a while for someone to take our order despite them telling us to go and take a seat and they would be over. The restaurant is incredibly noisy and needs some decoration putting in to prevent this. Don't go here for a romantic meal. The wine list comes on an ipad which at first seems like a great idea but it wasn't very well thought out and you could not view it in it's entirety, you had to know what you wanted first then search for it.

They are trying to be very modern and trendy with all the staff wearing jeans and converse trainers, this would be find if the service was any good but it's awfully slow and the staff do not know as much as they need to. So instead of trendy you get scruffy and inexperienced.

The food when it did arrive was very enjoyable though the menu needs some more work and higher quality options adding to it. The beef for two that we had was excellent, cooked perfectly and the bone marrow absolutely gorgeous.

Sadly, we won't be rushing to return here as it was quite a disappointing experience.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PlatinumQueen1985
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

Firstly I must say that the hotel itself is beautiful inside and out being in the heart of a wonderful city.

My wife and I stayed here for a break away whilst seeing friends in Devon after our wedding, and what attracted us to this hotel is the fact that it had a spa and pool with treatments and that it had just outside opened.

I was somewhat confused to the reception area but after feeling lost we were greeted by a receptionist. I was told that parking was free but actually it isn't, £3.70 added to our bill. I was given an ipad (£400 if it's broken etc) I didn't think I would need it but it gave me a lot of useful links and information.

The room was lovely, well presented, clean and spacious however the light functions are confusing and the ipad dock didn't work. My wife went to the spa and had a treatment whilst I had a dip in the pool. The pool was nice although cold and when I asked about having the fire lit in the 'fire room' I was told that it is only lit when it's raining and cold (which it was) so I was disappointed. My wife had an amazing massage and felt relaxed afterwards.

We decided to eat in at the hotel and again I wasn't dissatisfied, the bar staff were very helpful although I only got one type of olive in the 'mixed olives'. The restaurant was reasonably priced and of reasonable quality. The waiting staff were very helpful although their were 7 staff to 9 guests and yet service was slow.

My overall opinion was good however I could not see visibly who the manger was to explain the hotels shortfalls before writing this review, all the staff seemed too casual and inexperienced.

The breakfast was small although of reasonable quality.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

Really enjoyed our meal here. I had rump steak for main which was very tender and cooked to perfection. The chocolate caramel fondant for dessert was absolutely divine.
Very attentive staff, although sometimes the service was a little muddled; it would have been nice to have the same waiter/waitress throughout the meal. I'm not entirely sold on the uniform of white shirt, chinos and converse for the staff, some of the older ones couldn't pull it off!
The decor is fresh, clean and modern, really nice toilets as well!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

the historic (hospital) building is very central and has lots of character and has been very stylishly renovated.

although im not sure the minimalist concept of no reception desk in the reception is terribly helpful? how ever on the ball the staff are, everyone still needs somewhere to rest their bits of paper?

still, the bars and lounges were gorgeous with artwork to take notice of.

our room was clean and smart and the complimentary mini bar was always going to be a nice touch for winning over guests.
the bed was comfortable and the REN toilettries were lovely

the only downside i could see was the chaos in the kitchen, while the open theatre kitchen is a nice concept it did make breakfast a bit too noisy for my tastes. also during our 2 days all the breakfasts were very slow to arrive and cold and not really living up to the expectation. new hotels have teething problems but it seemed the staff were out of their depth with coordinating the waiting services?

i would return to TMCH and would recommend it as im sure the kitchen staff and waiting team will sort out the initial hiccups.

Room Tip: all seemed very quiet thanks to good double glazing