“A Real Chill Out Experience”

Hotel du Vin Exeter
Ranked #18 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Reviewed 21 February 2013

My friend and I spent 2 days enjoying the hotel and spa it was a lovely experience from the moment we arrived. All the staff were so friendly and everywhere was very clean. It was such a treat to be swimming in the warm outdoor pool at 8.0. am on a February morning and as it was for my birthday we had treatments booked at the spa which made it very special in the lovely relaxed atmosphere. This is somewhere that I would thoroughly recommend and we will most certainly be going for another stay in the future.If someone wants to book a spa treat for a loved one it is well worth looking into.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 19 February 2013

This hotel deserves its good reviews, but there are (as ever with hotels) a mixture of good points and points to watch. So, first the good points:

- a building with character, well maintained. Clean but un-modernised on the outside, modern on the inside, with a few reminders of its past as an Eye Hospital.

- pleasant, helpful, informal staff. No doubt they are trained to smile and be helpful, but they make it appear sincere (let's hope it is!).

- rooms vary in size, but are well equipped with useful gadgets e.g. Nespresso coffee machine, an Ipad if you want one. Unlike many "tech-y" hotels, they are easy to use - the Nespresso, the TV, the lighting, the aircon, the shower being examples.

- useful and good quality freebies - the REN toiletries, contents of minibar (replenished daily)

- generally quiet at night (but see points to watch) with a sensible check out time of 11am. They will gladly store your luggage until later.

A few points to watch:

- check in (which they do on an IPad, guests don't sign anything) involves no discussion of agreed rates, so check that they have it correctly.

- they might offer you a complimentary upgrade or one for £20 per night. Before you agree to pay extra, ask to check the types of room offered ; I did and didn't like my upgraded room which was only slightly larger but considerably darker with a poorer view, so I stuck with my single.

- there's nothing in writing to tell you, but phone calls are charged at 10p a minute for local calls, 20p a minute for national calls. So the latter may be cheaper on your mobile. Make sure they don't charge you for free calls (0800).

- I didn't use the restaurant, which looked nice but the menu didn't particularly appeal and was expensive. I've read that when busy, service can be slow. There is no shortage of restaurants in the City Centre, 10-15 minutes walk away.

- bedroom doors begin by closing slowly, then bang shut (why do so many hotel room doors do that?). Light sleepers bear in mind.

- check that they have validated your room key for every night of your stay, not just one night (and why do so many hotels get that wrong?).

- they are a bit lax on their dusting!

Room Tip: windows do not open in some rooms, for security reasons, so ask if you like fresh air. Some rooms a...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank BarryMLondon
Reviewed 17 February 2013

A fantastic hotel- this is the kind of hotel that I keep searching for with exceptional staff, added charm & great touches (iPads, Ren products). The heated outdoor poor & indoor jacuzzi area is so relaxing. Breakfast was perfect & we ordered snacks which were to a high standard. The regular rooms aren't huge, but that's an aside, rather than a fault. Really disappointed we only booked for one night- we'll make the journey & be back!

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank londonmusicfan
Reviewed 15 February 2013

Well, some things are lovely: the pool is fantastic, with inside and outside areas, the grounds and decor nice, but beware! This is an expensive hotel. We stayed relatively cheaply but would have been very annoyed had we paid the full rate.

Downstairs, when we arrived it was busy, and they are set up for business during the day with lots of people on computers or with flipchart paper and working group with that. nothing wrong with that, we would have loved to sit in the library and have a snack BUT were driven out by the absolutely dreadful music which was described by my partner as 'Bjork gone mad' and very intrusive. Not to relax to: but perhaps the do not want a restful atmosphere? The restaurant food was OK, though service levels a little slow. The cream tea was lovely with freshly baked scones.
When we asked for anything, it arrived, and the staff were very friendly, but we did feel that the general service level was below that we have experienced elsewhere.
The rooms look lovely, but are small. Widows are locked shut so you have to use air conditioning, and there is next to no hanging space, and room service we found variable, with cleaning at somewhat random times. The bath was nice, and wifi good.

This was not a bad experience at all, but expected a better designed room for our money, as we were unable to unpack. It should also be mentioned that parking is very limited, and if the small driveway is unavailable, then the only option is the local 'pay and display'.
For these reasons, and certainly at the full price if the room, we would not return.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 February 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here for one night during a visit to Exeter and absolutely loved it. The hotel has been lovingly restored and is very cool and modern but still remains warm and cosy. The reception staff were friendly and quickly checked us in and showed us to our room.

We had only booked a 'basic' room but this was still a good size, well decorated and quiet. The room was made even better with a complimentary mini-bar, use of an i-pad (room service, music player, hotel details etc) and a decent tv.

My girlfriend had a full body massage in the spa and was really impressed by it (she is a beauty therapist too so this is high praise!). Whilst she was having that I visited the indoor/outdoor pool which was great. All towels and gowns etc are provided.

The location is excellent, easily reached from wherever you are traveling from and only a 5 minute walk into the city centre. There was no onsite parking but there was plenty easily available in the car park opposite.

We plan to visit again later in the year and will definitely be staying here again. A great hotel!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jackw1711
Reviewed 11 February 2013

I stayed on business for one night. The hotel is as cool as the pictures make it look. The decor and furniture are just the right side of retro; I'll certainly be stealing ideas for my house!

I received a warm welcome from the casual but super efficient staff. I'd booked a standard room on their midweek spa treat package, B&B with a half hour treatment and £20 towards dinner.

I was shown to my room, which was very pleasant and roomy. However, they'd put me in a disabled room, which although was perfectly fine, it didn't have a bath and was purpose built, with everything at lower height. I asked if I could have a room with a bath and was immediately moved. It must have been a complimentary upgrade, but they never said. It was amazing. Complimentary mini bar was a delightful touch!

The spa and pool are beautiful. The back massage included in the package was definitely the best I've ever had!

If I had to critise anything, it would be that the bathroom could have had a shelf to put toilettries on. One last thing was that I wasn't aware the £20 towards dinner was for food only, so had a little surprise when I had to pay for the drinks I'd had (I'd limited what I ate so I could utilise the full allowance!) No big deal. Food was great, both in the evening and in the morning.

If I'm in the area again, I will definitely stay here!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Alice W
Reviewed 11 February 2013

All recent comments are fair. Great hotel and spa. Friday evening 4-7pm was 'Friday Fizz' ie half price champagne and prosecco. The bar area completely filled up and we joined the throng! Mini bar, ipad and newspaper are all in.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple