“Sttylish and welcoming - for dogs too!”

Hotel du Vin Exeter
Ranked #17 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
London, United Kingdom
“Sttylish and welcoming - for dogs too!”
Reviewed 25 March 2013

We selected this place mainly because they have a dog friendly policy. We were really impressed. It's a wonderfully stylish conversion of an old eye hospital, with some really appealing touches - log fires and lots of 'cosy' alcoves. Staff are friendly and welcoming of both dogs and humans. Food is very good and although we were not allowed to visit the restaurant with our dogs ( fair enough) we were able to order of the restaurant menu while sitting in the lounge. Only criticism is a lack of wardrobe/ storage space in the room. Otherwise excellent. Didn't get to visit spa or pool, but looks good.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Arthur P
MagdalenChpt, General Manager at Hotel du Vin Exeter, responded to this review, 27 March 2013
Thank you for your review we are delighted enjoyed your stay. Always nice to bring the dog away! Hope to welcome you back again soon and next time you will have to visit the pool and the spa!
Best wishes
Fiona

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
St Ives, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2013

My Friend and I visited last Sunday the 17th March, meeting in the middle between our two homes in the South West. Such a lovely building with stylish, sophistication of a hotel in London. We had booked Sunday Lunch followed by a Spa Treatment. On entry to the hotel we entered the "Concierge" area with anticipation (no such fixed reception desk, but a cool pod like area with laptops and back office) the reception staff asked if they could help and we explained our afternoon plans for lunch and spa and we were shown to the restaurant, without being shown around, without explaining where to go for the Spa and Swimming Pool area, without asking if they could take our day bags, i felt that it was up to us to make our own way around and guess where to go. However, the restaurant staff were more then helpful, polite, attentive in a lovely, modern atmosphere with lovely local food and large selection of wines that you could choose from the menu on the iPad. Lunch was really nice and very good value for money, 2 courses for £15. We waited for our lunch to digest and we then proceeded to ask the restaurant staff where we would find the spa and swimming area. We made our way a short way across the lawn and were met by the most friendly and helpful spa staff who showed us to the Indoor/Outdoor swimming pool that combines Sauna and Jacuzzi. Brilliant! We relaxed, soaked and sat chatting and gossiping quietly in the outdoor heated pool whilst the sun beamed down on us (The only down side was the kids being kids, which kind of ruined the relaxation factor)! Super modern and swedish style. Housekeeping Ladies were very friendly and smiley, just giving a great atmosphere. The piece de resistance...The Massage, 30 minute back massage, THE best massage i have ever had! Sarah the masseuse was friendly, made us feel relaxed and you could tell she was genuinely a lovely lady. I would definitely recommend this hotel to young professionals with busy lifestyles that need a relaxing day to unwind... I cant wait to visit again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank cmkc1989
Thank you for your review we are delighted you enjoyed your visit to the hotel. Sorry you did not get shown where the spa and the pool were located. We look forward to welcoming you back for another great massage!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2013

If you want to do a weekend spa break don't bother going here. Despite beautiful photos on their website the indoor pool is minuscule. Given the poor weather the outside pool is useless. The entrance for the inside pool can only take about 4 people. So badly designed. We had to go and wait in the bar area until the current users of the pool left. And no where to sit. So a useless stay if you want a spa break. Bar area etc very nice but as for the accommodation as a single room occupant I may as well have been in Harry potters under the stairs bedroom. And the wardrobe is absolute comedy. U had to walk in it to hang anything which would have been fine if the door was wide enough to get your shoulders through. So if you have claustrophobia forget it. And it took 2 weeks to advance book spa treatments. Spa only takes bookings by phone which would be fine if a) someone answered the phone and/or b) they returned your call so needless to say when we finally spoke to someone they had no spa vacancies. Staff were nice. Can't fault them on that but bearing in mind I have stayed all over the world it was the most disappointing for it class.

Room Tip: If you are a single occupant get a room for 2 anyway.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nkivo1
I am very sorry and dissapointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us recently. I would really ppreciate the opportunity to talk to your personally about your experience with us and try to make amends in some way. My direct line is 01392 288163 and I would love to speak to you?
Reviewed 24 March 2013 via mobile

Three of us had an evening meal, preceded by drinks. Beautifully and tastefully renovated regency building. Friendly and attentive staff, excellent food and exciting menu. We had chicken, fish medley and seabream. All very well prepared and cooked. Cheeseboard was a bit bit dull and disappointing. Excellent selection of wines in different price ranges. Definitely worth a visit.

Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your review and we are delighted you enjoyed your meal experience with us. Sorry you found the cheeseboard dissapointing. We look forward to welcoming you back agian soon.
Hertford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2013

I have stayed at this hotel for 8 nights during the past three weeks, and I am still finding it hard to believe my luck, and the value it offers for the price paid. The staff are uniformly friendly and helpful. The food (for a vegetarian) is varied, tasty, well-presented and extremely good value. The beds (I've been in three different rooms) are about the most comfortable i've slept in. (I was told they were made locally at Topsham, near Exeter.) There are three different levels of lighting in the rooms, so it's easy to work at the desk. The mini-bar in the room is free. The swimming pool - described as 'inside out' (or is it 'outside in'?) means you can get into it indoors in a well-heated room and then swim under a barrier to the outside. not only all that, but I could have taken my dog there as well. I can't praise it enough. If i had to have one criticism, it's that two of the single rooms didn't have a wardrobe. Fine for a couple of nights, but not if you want to hang up two or three suits plus some other clothes.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Warwick
Reviewed 20 March 2013

We stayed here for one night in October on the way down to Cornwall. It was really easy to find, we managed to get car parking on site when we arrived and could check in a little bit early too.

The building has been really nicely converted, keeping lots of the original features and combining them with quirky decor that makes this hotel stand out.

Staff were very friendly and attentive. Interestingly all of the staff wore black and white canvas high-top style trainers which seemed weird (but in a quirky way!).

There were plenty of areas to sit and have a drink, read a book (from their really good library!) and the outside space was good too.

The bedroom was tastefully finished, good amount of space, neat and clean bathroom, good toiletries, very comfy bed & pillows and huge windows in the bedroom and bathroom which added to the feeling of good space.

Dinner in the restaurant was good too and the breakfast the next day was great, plenty of choice and endless cups of tea.

Would stay here again and recommend staying if you are a looking for somewhere relaxing to stay within walking distance of the centre.

Room Tip: We had a room at the back which was really lovely and quiet.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2013

This hotel was much better when it was the Barcelona. I stayed here in February 2013 and was very disappointed. The double room I shared was tiny and claustrophobic with hardly any room for moving around in, and this was a front-facing room on the 2nd floor so imagine it would be one of the larger rooms.There was a simple desk and chair squashed in a corner by the window, a miniscule wardrobe - just hanging space for equivalent of 4 coats, no shelves for other clothes - and a fold-out stand for the suitcase with hardly any floorspace to open it out onto. The bathroom was also tiny and claustrophobic with awkward access to the shower which was in the bath. The mini-bar contents are free but the choice is limited to a bar of cadbury's chocolate, a small bottle of wine, beer, coke and water - contents that can be cheaply purchased at the local Tescos so no big deal. I thought the reception was pretentious with no reception desk but staff coming out to sit down with guests and check them in on their laptops. I also thought the breakfast was mediocre. The only positive thing was that,contrary to other reviewers, I did find parking spaces for the 3 nights I was there so that was convenient and free of charge. I hate to be negative about this place because it's a beautiful building and should work well as a hotel. When it was the Barcelona, the room we stayed in a few years ago was huge and the food was excellent. The hotel was renovated recently and I wonder if they made the rooms smaller to accommodate more guests. I don't quite understand why people rave on about this hotel as I didn't notice anything exceptional about it during my stay there. The Mercure Southgate Hotel, which is lower down on the Tripadvisor list, is so much better in my opinion (and I'm not getting paid for this!). I've tried other hotels in Exeter, but keep returning to the Southgate.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family