Hotel du Vin Exeter
US$106
US$98
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn Express Exeter(Exeter)(Great Value!)
US$90
US$87
Jurys Inn Exeter(Exeter)(Great Value!)
US$82
US$84
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
1,463 results
All reviewsmagdalen chaptereye hospitalfree mini barren productsthe indoor outdoor poolpublic car parknespresso machinedeluxe roomlimited parkinglog burnerpay and displaywine listreception deskreception areaold buildingeggs benedictrestaurant staff
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Booked a couple of weeks ago, with the attraction being the much hyped restaurant.

First impressions not good - had to park in the council car park at £13 for 24 hours - this involved installing an app. on my phone, after a battle with a non-functioning website.

Reception is 'odd' to say the least - with no proper desk - we were served using a laptop on some kind of wooden 'seed' sculpture.

After making our way up to our room, we were disappointed to find they'd stuck us in a pokey little corner, with the window looking directly out onto a decorative spire. If we looked at just the right angle, we could see the road, though...

Just before heading down for a session in the gym and pool, I considered it may be worth booking a table for dinner - only to be told we could eat in half an hour (it was 6pm) or wait until 9.30pm. This is completely unacceptable - no warning was given when booking, no polite phone call was made to offer a booking, and no booking was offered at reception when checking in.

For some reason, I couldn't get any of the staff present to grasp that I'd booked the hotel for the dining experience and that the offer of bar food wasn't an acceptable alternative. When I asked to cancel the room, as I'd find alternative accommodation for the night, I was told they'd still charge me £100. I finally left and pointed out that there would be a chargeback on my credit card if they subsequently tried to charge my card.

Overall, a thoroughly disappointing experience - in stark contrast with the wonderful service received at the Imperial in Torquay, which we booked whilst sat in the car park opposite the Magdalen.

Room Tip: Anywhere else but here!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank twinspark
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night for our anniversary . The service on arrival was perfect, friendly and with lots of helpful advice. We were in a standard room which was great. We had some issues syncing the ipad to the TV, someone was up to help fix it in no time at all. The bar and library were cosy and the whole hotel smelt of the open fires which just added to the atmosphere. We ate elsewhere but had desserts from the bar (sticky toffee pudding and brownie with ice cream and chocolate sauce) when we came back and they were both amazing. Breakfast was also great and not just the usual choices. I had baked eggs, the first time I have seen them on a menu. Only complaint is the desk in the room seemed a bit pointless and meant I had to squeeze past as space was at a premium. Other than that it was a great hotel and I would definitely recommend and stay again.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 January 2014

What a wonderful day this was, the food was fantastic, we had a private lunch in the potting shed, perfect for a relaxing family meal, we were looked after very well by all the staff, special thanks to Ian. This is a lovely setting for a Sunday lunch.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank AngeF_10
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

Was booked here for a night by a friend. What a fantastic gem of a hotel! Can't believe how effectively they used technology to better the experience. The check in was the start of the tech experience in a hotel that has yesteryear charms. I believe it was a hospital in its previous life, though with the wonderful use of space, relaxing areas, more than adequate sized rooms, there wasn't any of its previous use recognizable. Wished I spent more time at the hotel.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ZMR
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Free upgrade to a deluxe upon arrival - always a lovely surprise. Ipad on check in which acts as the hotel directory. Room was lovely - corner room with a massive bed I could lie in both ways! Great integrated system to play music through the tv, and in the bathroom too. Nespresso machine in the room and whilst I couldn't get the pods to work (was prob just me being thick) oh and I don't think the mini bar was on as the milk was off - however I didn't ask for more as I didn't need it and sure it would have been replaced asap if I had. Was told that I could swap my complimentary beer for wine which I did and this was brought up straight away. Also changed by breakfast in bed time in the morning to earlier and this was no problem at all. Didn't see or use the restaurant or pool but sure they were lovely! Would definitely go back - great hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo