“Quirky but good” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
West Yorkshire
“Quirky but good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

We enjoyed our stay here after a genuinely warm welcome on arrival. Room upgrade offered was great, and the room was clean and well appointed. Bar for pre dinner drinks was a bit chaotic, but restaurant and dinner were good with interesting food choices. In spite of being warned that breakfast would be very busy it wasn't, so a relaxing breakfast before checking out. Again a helpful, no fuss experience and a genuine and warm farewell from the young staff.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
Ideford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

This hotel is by far the best I have visited. The rooms are so spacious. They are fantastic. The service is out of this world. The food is very good. The service is just five star. I can't say nothing bad about this hotel. It just has the wow factor I will be going back happy guest

Stayed April 2014
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

From checkin to checkout nearly everything was superb about our stay at The Magdalen Chapter.
Most high-tech and simplest checkin I've had (just sign the screen and collect your iPad).
We had a mid-range room for two of us and our 2.5 year-old. Not huge, but enough room for a short stay. Complimentary minibar was a nice touch, although drinks weren't cold enough. Bathroom was great, with REN toiletries. Seemed to be a problem with hot water on bath.

Ate in the spacious lounge area, choosing from a wide range of tapas. Good cocktails and wine list too with knowledgeable and helpful staff.

We loved the "inside-out" swimming pool and the terrace area.

Breakfast was included in our rate and was OK. Continental good, cooked food very average.

Spa was a little expensive but a pretty good express massage.

Think we did well with our Sunday room rate of £140 as price jumps right up midweek.

Staff very friendly and helpful throughout. Genuinely seem to live working there. Great with kids too.

Stayed May 2014
London, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

I booked a standards double room. There was not enough room to walk around the bed without turning sideways. The shower is so small you can't wash properly and when you stand out to dry you burn yourself on the radiator. They lend you an iPad but it takes up too much space in the cell sorry bedroom. I have stayed in hotels in major cities all over the world. Never in a room this obscenely tiny. Ridiculous!

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Colin G
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

I booked to stay at this hotel as a suprise for my partners birthday. We were greated with a smile and informed we had been complimentary upgraded.... what a delight! The bedrooms were a good size with free ipad, free minibar and as a little bonus for my boyfriend, a birthday card from the hotel manager! Its the little touches that make all the difference! We didnt use the pool, as much to my despair, we forgot to pack our swimwear, but had a look around. There is a small swimming area outside and a door to swim through to an inside bit ( not really big enough to swim in ).
The food was tasty and plenty of choice on the menu - i am vegetarian and some great options available. My boyfriend really enjoyed his steak!
All of the members of staff we encountered couldnt do enough to help us, even by making my favourite cocktail which wasnt on their menu.
All in all, a great trip for a special occasion and we are already looking to return with some friends in the summer - this time we will remember our swim gear! Cant wait to return!

Room Tip: book a room with free standing baths! such luxury!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank loulou90_13
Marlow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at your hotel with my wife and little boy.

I am very lucky that I get to travel extensively as part of my job. I regularly stay in great hotels all over Europe. I can honestly say that your hotel is right at the top of the list. The building itself is beautiful. The décor is lovely. The location is fantastic. The facilities, library, restaurant, swimming pool etc are really great. But the best thing is the staff. They totally make this a special place to stay. Everyone was happy, polite and offered the best service. This is very hard to achieve across the entire team, so congratulations. You made our stay really relaxing and enjoyable and I am very grateful for that.

Please pass on my thanks, appreciation and admiration to your team. Together you have created a great place to stay. We loved it.

Room Tip: We stayed in a 'feature' room which was big, beautiful and had a great bathroom. Well worth...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Matthew B
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

We stayed at the hotel back in August last year and it was an amazing experience. Great service and lovely decor. I've been back a few times since to dine in the potting shed. Today I went to the Spa with my husband for a joint back massage. The ladies were very polite and I felt very comfortable. Lovely massage and would defo recommend to anyone!

• Stayed May 2014