“Excellent service, accomodation, food & drink for dogs & humans!”

Hotel du Vin Exeter
Ranked #18 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I can't fault this hotel - the rooms are modern and spotless - free iPad, wifi, minibar, coffee machine and top toiletries. The staff couldn't be more helpful - when I arrive with my bike, they safely stored it. We were surprised to see a nice bed and water for us AND our dogs in our room. Understandably dogs aren't allowed in the restaurant for dinner and breakfast but the staff reserved a nice table in the library - again with dog bed and water! What's more the dogs George & Tilly Beagle were brought sausages for breakfast - spoilt!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel du Vin Exeter

Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed for a night on our way to Truro, and we were really pleased that we did. Very modern and warm/friendly hotel with nice touches such as getting an iPad to use and pristine bed and bathroom. Nespresso coffee machines in the rooms too. Breakfast was wonderful too, and well worth the extra few pounds. We had a couple of spare hours in the morning and enjoyed sitting and reading in the library. Housekeeping were kind enough to even post my forgotten washbag back to me, for no charge! I can't recommend this hotel enough.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We enjoyed our stay here after a genuinely warm welcome on arrival. Room upgrade offered was great, and the room was clean and well appointed. Bar for pre dinner drinks was a bit chaotic, but restaurant and dinner were good with interesting food choices. In spite of being warned that breakfast would be very busy it wasn't, so a relaxing breakfast before checking out. Again a helpful, no fuss experience and a genuine and warm farewell from the young staff.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

This hotel is by far the best I have visited. The rooms are so spacious. They are fantastic. The service is out of this world. The food is very good. The service is just five star. I can't say nothing bad about this hotel. It just has the wow factor I will be going back happy guest

Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

From checkin to checkout nearly everything was superb about our stay at The Magdalen Chapter.
Most high-tech and simplest checkin I've had (just sign the screen and collect your iPad).
We had a mid-range room for two of us and our 2.5 year-old. Not huge, but enough room for a short stay. Complimentary minibar was a nice touch, although drinks weren't cold enough. Bathroom was great, with REN toiletries. Seemed to be a problem with hot water on bath.

Ate in the spacious lounge area, choosing from a wide range of tapas. Good cocktails and wine list too with knowledgeable and helpful staff.

We loved the "inside-out" swimming pool and the terrace area.

Breakfast was included in our rate and was OK. Continental good, cooked food very average.

Spa was a little expensive but a pretty good express massage.

Think we did well with our Sunday room rate of £140 as price jumps right up midweek.

Staff very friendly and helpful throughout. Genuinely seem to live working there. Great with kids too.

Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I booked a standards double room. There was not enough room to walk around the bed without turning sideways. The shower is so small you can't wash properly and when you stand out to dry you burn yourself on the radiator. They lend you an iPad but it takes up too much space in the cell sorry bedroom. I have stayed in hotels in major cities all over the world. Never in a room this obscenely tiny. Ridiculous!

Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Colin G
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I booked to stay at this hotel as a suprise for my partners birthday. We were greated with a smile and informed we had been complimentary upgraded.... what a delight! The bedrooms were a good size with free ipad, free minibar and as a little bonus for my boyfriend, a birthday card from the hotel manager! Its the little touches that make all the difference! We didnt use the pool, as much to my despair, we forgot to pack our swimwear, but had a look around. There is a small swimming area outside and a door to swim through to an inside bit ( not really big enough to swim in ).
The food was tasty and plenty of choice on the menu - i am vegetarian and some great options available. My boyfriend really enjoyed his steak!
All of the members of staff we encountered couldnt do enough to help us, even by making my favourite cocktail which wasnt on their menu.
All in all, a great trip for a special occasion and we are already looking to return with some friends in the summer - this time we will remember our swim gear! Cant wait to return!

Room Tip: book a room with free standing baths! such luxury!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple