“An oasis of calm and cool in central Exeter”

Hotel du Vin Exeter
Ranked #18 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Reviewed 3 June 2014

My Wife, our 14 month old and I stayed last minute and found the staff extremely friendly, the room very spacious and comfortable and the whole ambiance of the hotel very welcoming. We enjoyed a glass of wine in the garden area before dinner at the restaurant in the evening. The food was good but not cheap, probably slightly overpriced for what it is. The next morning the three of us took to the small pool to float around and relax and we would certainly return and recommend the place to friends.

The only slight let down was the time it took for the food to arrive at the restaurant and the lack of the connecting cable to go from our mac to the tv (via their swanky technology hub). The hotel makes a point about being tech advanced and raised our expectations but were then not able to meet them.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 3 June 2014

We decided to split our trip to SW Cornwall with a stay in Exeter and thought we would give the Magdalen Chapter a go as they were offering good last minute rates on the Bank Holiday. The hotel is well located for the centre of the city. It offers some parking on-site with two carparks very near by. The Chapter hotels are quite 'techy' and tend to be modern in style. The building itself is lovely, an old eye hospital with plenty of character. The feeling is quite informal and we liked the style of the reception.

The tech alas sometimes lets them down and on arrival neither laptop would work for check-in. The receptionist popped out to back office to check us in. This lead to no confirmation of the rate (I'll come to that later) and I was checked in as Andrew as opposed to Richard. Easily rectified. I enquired about dinner but was informed that only Room Service was available. (see later) Our room was on the second floor opposite the lifts which were thankfully reasonably quiet as we'd requested a 'quiet room'. Special rates do often mean the less desirable rooms, so not a problem for what would be a quick overnight stay.

The room itself was smalll and although it had very high ceilings the dark wood used throughout did make it feel smaller. With curtains drawn one side of the bed had to be approached sideways. The bed was very comfortable, the room was cool and with the double glazing any traffic noise was barely audible. A complimentary mini-bar was available in the room which was a nice touch. The bathroom was well equipped but alas our towels were on the floor.

Most things are controlled by an iPad handed to you at reception. You can book dinner, order room service and control a number of different options as well as surf the web. The ipad did suggest that a dinner reservation could be made at 930pm which confused us as we had arrived at 830pm but we assumed a glitch and ordered room service. The ipad suggested our order would be confirmed to us but after 20mins we thought it best to phone down to confirm. The food was fine when it arrived.

We popped to the bar and had a cocktail each. When we came to pay, we were given the wrong bill as their had been a mix up. We were told they could not produce our bill so not to worry. I informed them of what we had and our room number. Although assured it was their mistake and not to worry we did see the charges on the bill.

On returning to the room I was unable to charge the ipad as a previous guest had removed the cable. In the morning I let reception know, they said they would sort it and took the ipad to charge for me. I didn't get it back and no cable arrived.

Although we booked a BandB rate we were not on the list which is always annoying. Breakfast was ok but not the best I've had. I opted for a cooked breakfast but the mushrooms appeared tinned? Or stewed and the black pudding was not great. They should get some great locally sourced Hog's Pudding on the menu. Our salt and pepper shakers were alas empty and after a couple of attempts we found one that worked.

All in all a comfortable stay but many small errors that can be so easily avoided. Bank Holidays and Sundays can sometimes stretch service levels in hotels. We'd stay again on a similar rate but we've now tried two Chapter hotels with similar issues. Most of the problems are training related and easily resolved. Room service checks to ensure the crucial tech functions and staff following a clear check in procedure to confirm guest names, rates and fully aware of dining options. It would be good to very good but for the little issues.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RichClarkImages
Reviewed 2 June 2014

This was the honest feedback I shared with the GM of The Magdelan Chapter post-stay:

I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you and your team for the incredible experience and service I received at The Magdalen Chapter Hotel in Exeter last week. I wouldn’t dream of staying in another hotel in the area and am already looking forward to my next stay.

I think my personal Facebook message, tagging myself at the hotel upon check-in, says it all!

May 13: Okay, let me just recap on the best check-in of ALL TIME: greeted by delightful lass standing at what was definitely a carving of an enormous walnut; room upgrade; complimentary drinks in minibar (that sound was me popping a Heineken), personal iPad to control everything in my room and on my account... free wifi, cable, coffee machine (with bickies). Oh, and they had a charger to lend me after my journey took over 5hrs. In Heaven — at The Magdalen Chapter Hotel, Exeter.

Honestly, I travel globally and within the UK regularly and this truly was one of the best hotel experiences I have ever had. Heartfelt congrats and well done.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 June 2014

This has to be one of the best hotels I've stayed at in the UK. From our reception at check in through to checking out it's impossible to find fault.
The atmosphere at the hotel is very personal and informal which leaves you thinking you are not actually staying at a mid-size hotel. The building, an old eye hospital, has been tastefully renovated and retains some of it's original features. We were staying in a standard room, which was very modern, clean and easily spacious enough for 2. A nice touch was the complimentary mini-bar.
All of the hotel facilities can be booked via an iPad which you are provided with for use whilst you are there along with instructions for air conditioning etc...
We didn't use the Spa but it looked very nice, we had a couple of drinks in the bar. The cocktail menu is very good, especially if you can get them in the 2 for £10 offer.
All in all a great hotel, well worth a stay if you are in Exeter. It's also within an easy walk of the city centre, shops and Cathedral and only a 15 minute walk from the Quay.
Highly recommended!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I really liked this hotel. The building is amazing - wide spaces, high ceilings, ... My room was spotless and tastefully decorated. A bit on the small side, but more than enough for one person. The restaurant was also quite good, both for dinner and breakfast, and the bar is a very pleasant space. The service is also friendly and efficient. The only negative was noise from people walking up and down the corridors, from the elevators and the room above me. The hotel was very busy, the guests not very careful and the insulation probably not the best. I was there for business and had ear plugs, so it did not bother me much. But if I had been trying to rest I would have been disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I can't fault this hotel - the rooms are modern and spotless - free iPad, wifi, minibar, coffee machine and top toiletries. The staff couldn't be more helpful - when I arrive with my bike, they safely stored it. We were surprised to see a nice bed and water for us AND our dogs in our room. Understandably dogs aren't allowed in the restaurant for dinner and breakfast but the staff reserved a nice table in the library - again with dog bed and water! What's more the dogs George & Tilly Beagle were brought sausages for breakfast - spoilt!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed for a night on our way to Truro, and we were really pleased that we did. Very modern and warm/friendly hotel with nice touches such as getting an iPad to use and pristine bed and bathroom. Nespresso coffee machines in the rooms too. Breakfast was wonderful too, and well worth the extra few pounds. We had a couple of spare hours in the morning and enjoyed sitting and reading in the library. Housekeeping were kind enough to even post my forgotten washbag back to me, for no charge! I can't recommend this hotel enough.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple