“Good hotel, staff slightly sub par”

Hotel du Vin Exeter
Ranked #14 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
london
“Good hotel, staff slightly sub par”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

We overnighted at this hotel. Generally all was good - the room was a decent size and very clean, the shower etc was good, the restaurant outperformed expectations. A couple of negatives were that there isn't really much parking to speak of so you may end up in the pay and display opposite (we managed not to, fortunately, so I can't say how expensive that is) and 2ndly, we had booked a special deal but no one at the hotel really seemed to know what we were taking about or what was included etc, unlike us. Anyway, they managed to sort it out in the end so all was ok.

• Stayed June 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
Storrington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

WE stayed here for 3 nights with our dog ( as the hotel said they were VERY dog friendly).
The hotel is in a great location and just a very short walk to Exeter city centre.
It has only parking for about 10 cars, but you can park across the road next to an Indian restaurant The hotel staff are very pleasant and very helpful, always saying hello and asking if you need anything.
The staff on reception ( sorry no name tags ) were very nice upon check in and made a fuss of the dog and asked if we needed anything for him, i.e dog bowls , dog bed etc.
I must mention that they did say that I could take him round the outside pool area as long as he was on a lead and was quiet.
So off we went on day 1 to enjoy the sun only to be told after about an hour by a very stern looking woman that " she was the bearer of bad news and the dog had to leave "
Advised her that I was told her could stay with me by the pool, but she advised all the other staff were wrong & it was spa day so he would have to go !!!
There is no mention anywhere to say that dogs are not allowed by the pool either on their web site or in the very swish i pad they give you on check in.???
He was allowed in the bar area and again the staff here were very nice.
The rooms are small but very modern with a New York style bathroom all white tiles and low lighting.
Ren products are in the bathrooms .
Over all a very nice hotel and the staff are fantastic would come back again but don't know if I would bring the dog till they advise where and where not he is allowed.

Room Tip: As it is a old building all the rooms had double glazing so no road nose.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gary M
Wilmslow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

Stayed here recently for 1 evening. I was kicking myself that I didn't book for longer. The hotel is wonderful with old character build but very modern inside. The staff are very polite and attentive. My only criticism is that they advertise a complimentary mini bar, however inside are only soft drinks and 1 bottle of beer. I thought this was a mistake so I queried this with reception, however they told me this was how it was meant to be. I think they should change how they advertise this. Everything else was great!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Bath
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here in the chapter several times now, over 4 in think.

The service and attentive nature of the staff is always very very good, gadgets like iPads to show you around are cool but I keep coming back for the service you get.

Surroundings in the grounds, lounge , bar , library and restaurant are all first class.

I have stayed in a variety of rooms , deluxe rooms are really nice.

Highly recommended

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

What a disappointment. This hotel looks great and is has everything you expect you may need apart from customer service.
We were woken at 4am Sunday morning by a car alarm in the immediate vicinity.
I called the concierge and was informed the hotel could not do anything about it. Now, i can understand a hotel is not responsible for environmental noise but something can be done about car alarms - you locate the vehicle, take a note of the registration and call 101 who can contact vehicle registration to trace the owner. I know this because i look dup what to do on the IPad provided for my use by the hotel!
I then contacted the concierge again to inform him bit nothing was done. i know this because i contacted 101 myself.
This morning, we were asked if we had enjoyed our stay, i relayed our experience which was fed back to the manager - did she come and see us - no! We received an apology and were told when a car alarm goes off, this hotel refuses to do anything! So bear this in mind!
When i thought back to our arrival, I remembered how we were given our access card and pointed towards the lift and that was that. Please, go and stay in a hotel which really cares of rite guests so that you know the difference. This was a business trip and we shall not be recommending this venue for our clients.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Taunton, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

In my opinion the Hotel does not deliver on several levels. The first thing that hits you is the reception area, Cool and treading I guess its called, but as a first time guess its a little confusing of where to go or who to speak with, to help, look for laptops on a large round bit of wood. Staff dress code is a cross between a McDonald's take away uniform with a dress down uniform of a mobile phone shop. I am sure there is a message and a lot of thought going into how dress down communicates with the customers at a same level. Sorry if that is the trick, but it was wasted on me. The opening salvo being "Hi Guys" to my wife and I?? What's that's all about... The room we paid for was a Feature room, pricey for a Exeter Hotel but I do like a bit of luxury as and when. We were firstly put in a room that must have been at the bottom end of the feature room price bracket, just before the room falls into the higher end on the next one down. Small and dark, you could hardly swing a cat in the room after the furniture was in place. Views of a grave yard were free I believe, but not what you hope for. Problems with the air conditioning, pushed me into requesting another room. "Hi guys, no problem" gggrrrr.. New room, bigger, better laid out and acceptable. Air conditioning worked as well! Pool area is a bit of a disappointment, its a big plunge pool in my opinion. But unless you get to the pool first or lucky one small party of people were moving out of the area you felt like you were walking into someone's living room. Without a word spoken its a feeling of you are in "our space". The area does not really serve to allow mixing parties. So as the pool area was taken up with sun bathing ladies who dipped in and out of the pool, it was a no go area for us.
Service?? you have your back room staff who work non stop and make the underbelly of Hotels tick,and then you have the front of house who you do not get the confidence that a request for anything will be fulfilled, or " its a bit of a cheek to ask, but we will do are best". What you look for in this grade of hotel is the confidence that the staff will deliver and inform you when and where. This is noting more or less that you would expect. Being cool and laid back, has a place but not in the service industry of a top class hotel.
After further problems over the service for the room, I asked the night staff that I wanted to see the manager in the morning, and please log my compliant. I was not contacted by anyone, and on check out informed the reception staff it was not a pleasant stay, I was then get asked why? which I informed her that I would not go through the problem again as this should have be documented and I was not prepared to discuss and belittle myself discussing the issue in enclosed room with other guess over hearing the problem again. Then its "do you wish to see the duty manager"? Which I declined as if they had not already been aware of the issues it says a lot about the behind the scene lack of organization.

I am sure there will be people who like this high paying, laid back approach, but its not for me, and I think it crosses the line between customer and staff and forgets who is paying for laid back service.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Catherine M
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

Set within a former victorian eye hospital , this uber trendy boutique hotel is must when visiting Exeter. Each room is well appointed and spacious and exceptionally clean . High quality bathroom products are supplied together with an iPad for each room . Although not used , the hotel also has a Spa on site . Residents can also indulge in an excellent selection of cocktails in the comfortable bar area .
Bravo to the very friendly and helpful staff !

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business