“Nice stay”

Hotel du Vin Exeter
Ranked #17 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
“Nice stay”
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Had a lovely stay at this lovely exeter hotel
Great food and drink
Staff could be a bit smarter and get shirts that fit and have a shave
The room was nice a little dirty in places but mostly ok
We did like the free mini bar
Car park could be bigger but pay and display close

Stayed August 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

After reading some fairly mixed reviews, I didn't really know what to expect. We arrived slightly before 3.00pm and our room was ready. It was reasonably sized with a high ceiling. The mini-bar was free and stocked with soft drinks, water and beer.

I felt that the hotel was extremely clean, with some interesting features, such as a library. The staff were very helpful and friendly.

We only had breakfast at the hotel. This consisted of a buffet plus various cooked options. I had the cooked vegetarian breakfast one morning and thought that the portion was rather small. My daughter has Eggs Benedict and thought that it needed more flavour. I also felt that some artisan breads would have been a nice addition.

I enjoyed the pool, though agree that it would be over crowded if there were more than 6 people using it. I also loved the garden.

Overall, We enjoyed our stay, though I feel that the rooms are somewhat over priced.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank slotnicki
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

After reading so many great reviews of the Magdalen Chapter (Times travel magazine, etc) my wife and I decided on a two night stay. We got off to a bad start as on arrival there was nowhere to park. After parking in the council short stay car park across the road (no concession for guests), we entered the hotel and attempted to locate the reception. This is easier said than done, as there is nothing that looks like a reception. Eventually we stumbled across a staff member who produced a laptop out of a wardrobe and put it on a wooden sculpture and started the booking in process. All a bit strange. We were told that our room was not ready, despite having arrived after 3pm. Eventually we were shown to our Superior room, and quickly realised that there wasn't enough room to swing a cat in it. I was really shocked at how small the room was for £300 a night. The disappointment continued as we were informed that the spa was completely booked up for the duration of our stay. We went to the inside out pool which was nice but very small. Beware if there are more than a handful of people at the pool it will feel crowded, also there is only room for 4 loungers at the poolside. The gym is a joke, it is very, very small and has just 4 pieces of equipment (treadmill, exercise bike, crosstrainer, useless multi gym). We were really looking forward to dinner, as we had read the rave reviews of the restaurant. MASSIVE disappointment. The waiter was unattentive and drinks took forever to arrive. I had chicken breast with salsa verde,lardons and girolles. The chicken was overdone and dry and lacked any seasoning at all. My wife had pan fried cod with samphire and romesco sauce, which turned out to be one of the blandest plates of food I'd ever tasted. Skin on the cod was not crisp and lacked seasoning and the portion was minuscule (which in this instance was a blessing). Despite the restaurant being virtually empty the staff still sat two lone diners either side of our table (the tables are very close to each other) creating a very awkward atmosphere. There was a discrepancy in the final bill as the waiter had charged us full price for our drinks despite telling us at the start that they were on special offer. When queried he replied "ooh, my bad" which is something you would expect a child to say. Overall the Magdalen Chapter way overpriced for what it provides, if the hotel was in London it wouldn't last 5 minutes.

Room Tip: Get room at the rear of the hotel. The ones at the front overlook a very busy road.
6 Thank CiaronD624
warwickshire
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Stayed in room 004 29/31 July 2014

I visited with work earlier this year and as it was so different I wanted my husband to experience it.

Not disappointed. Everything was great . Staff, service fantastic. Food exceptional.

The hotel is all round good quality and is somewhere ideal for a romantic break.

Drinks are high side of normal for hotel prices.

Outside pool lovely, warm. The only thing that I could say lets the hotel down is the small gym and there is no sauna or steam room. This would be a great benefit if it could be added on.

Good location. 5-10 mins walk into the city. Cathedral is beautiful. Lots of shops .

We were very fortunate with the weather, glorious sunshine.

We will be visiting again !!!!!! Loved it !!!!

I stayed in a feature room last time and thought it was fantastic and a lot more space.

Room Tip: If it is a special occasion or treat then a feature room is perfect
1 Thank susan1warwickshire
Leeds
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My partner and I stayed here for one night to celebrate his birthday. The hotel is great - lots of history but lovely modern fresh rooms. The iPad seemed like a bit of a gimmick at first but was perfect for ordering room service and keeping an eye on the bill. The heated outdoor pool is a lovely touch - we had it to ourselves for about an hour. The free mini bar was a nice treat as were the big fluffy dressing gowns (which were also perfect for wandering down to the pool in). The room wasn't massive and as our room was at the front of the hotel there was some traffic noise. All in all a fab hotel with lovely friendly staff. We'll definitely be back!

1 Thank Lizeranne
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Perfectly located for our theatre trip, ideal for a little shopping too! We did have a problem with the meal, but it was quickly and very efficiently dealt with by the restaurant manger. Would most certainly recommend this hotel. It looked like it had lovely Spa facilities although I did not have time to check them out, sadly.

Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 26 July 2014

+ great traditional building with very modern and fancy interior
+ amicable and attentive staff
+ modern and clean rooms
+ great choice for breakfast and very fast service
+ good restaurant for dinner

- Rates pretty high
- Rooms might need refurbishment in a while
- Limited space for parking