“Rush to Ruby”

RUBY Modern Diner
Price range: US$7 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Diner, Street Food
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A modern twist on the American Diner. Serving fresh fast food, produce sourced locally and all meat is free range. Ruby red beef straight from the farm, local ciders and international beers, great wine list.Grade 2 listed building, cool interior, big benches and comfy booths.
Reviewed 19 August 2013

My boyfriend and I had a fabulous night out at Ruby in Exeter. A warm welcome, stylish decor and good music.

The menu - almost too much choice - everything sounded wonderful! To make things a little easier for me, I went for Sliders, which is three mini burgers - you choose your own fillings from the main menu - they were all so good! Tasty, filling - really generous portions. Did I mention the fries? Amazing fries, full of flavour and cooked to perfection.

Great value for money, fantastic service and one of the nicest meals I have had in any restaurant - gives Meat Liquor a run for its money!

1  Thank Mags B

Reviewed 17 August 2013

Clearly Ruby serves some of the best burgers in the UK. Clean, modern surroundings close to the Exeter High Street make Ruby a convenient stop and well worth a visit. There are a variety of burgers and sandwiches on the menu, including beer, soda and other drinks. Burgers are delicious and done to taste. Thick, juicy and tasty and burger lovers will not be disappointed. One of the good value meals is the Slider special; three different small burgers from a variety of choices, served with chips (french fries) and a huge serving of coleslaw. Ruby also does a very decent Reuben sandwich and so far is the only UK restaurant we've found that offers this American sandwich. We ate here three times during our visit and were pleased each time. Great quality, but perhaps a little on the pricey side but well worth the cost. Staff were friendly and courteous

Reviewed 12 August 2013

I visited this restaurant again for a quick bite on Saturday lunchtime.They were super busy, but had another fantastic meal. This time I had the sliders, three mini burgers with two side, on the recommendation of the waiter. I think the best was the 'blue' burger', and the onion rings were exceptional (if a little greasy). My partner still had room for waffles, which I tasted and were scrumptious. It was experience, and the service was great as well, which is unusual in Exeter.

Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

I Went to ruby diner with my partner at the end of July. They serves delicious chunky burgers with a variety of sides, and i was pleasantly surprised at the size of the side orders as a portion of fries was enough for both of us. My only problem was deciding which burger to go for as there was so much choice and it all sounded great, I went for the signature ruby burger so am looking forward to going back an trying something else next time! It was great to see all the locally sourced ciders and ales and to know that the meat for the burgers was reared in devon. It's not fine dining but it doesn't pretend to be!

Reviewed 10 August 2013

We were genuinely surprised by RUBY, and its exactly what Exeter needs. It could easily be a mass produced faux US diner, but with its use of fresh local produce and attention to a simple, straightforward menu, it's risen above that. The food was unpretentious, it claims to be a diner, and true to this the menu is reflective of this, but what is served is fresh and excellent quality. This does mean it may take a little longer to be served but its worth the wait. The prices were acceptable being well positioned in respect of the portions (ample) and quality. The service was busy, but polite and attentive enough without being invasive. It felt friendly without feeling forced and we're definitely looking for a return visit. I hope RUBY does well, these are difficult times to be opening a new business, but its a worthy addition to Exeter's restaurants.