“An Absolutely Dreadful Waste Of Money”
Review of Real McCoy Cafe - CLOSED

Real McCoy Cafe
Price range: US$4 - US$11
Cuisines: American, British, Cafe, Soups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Finally, my first ever ‘Terrible’ Review.

My wife, son and I visited on Saturday, after being unable to get in the cafe just up the road. We only wanted a simple lunch and I remembered the Real McCoy did food.
Outside was freezing cold, and if there are heaters as I’ve seen in one of the other reviews, then they certainly weren’t on. We went inside and discovered that almost all of the tables are only for two people, except right in the back corner. We couldn’t take our jackets off when we sat down, as the inside was every bit as cold as outside. However my son was very hungry and we couldn’t spend the time finding somewhere else to eat. I really wish we had though.
The real McCoy Cafe Bar is trying to be retro / vintage as is all the rage these days. However the shop itself has been there since the 80’s and the bar has definitely seen better days. The paint work is peeling all over the place and could do with being decorated.

So we ordered what turned out to be the worst value meal we have ever had.
We ordered: An all day breakfast, a ‘Gourmet’ Spicy Bean Burger & a Sausage Roll, Coffee, Tea and an Orange Juice.
Now do not get me wrong, I will happily pay for a quality meal, but when this meal came to more than I would pay at a local award winning pub, then I expect what I pay for.
So where to start:
The Orange juice was about 300ml bottle and came to a staggering £2.95.
The Sausage Roll: Well it was a bun with two sausages of very low quality. This delight came to a massive £4.95
The All Day Breakfast: There were several problems here. One of the same low quality cheap sausages, an undercooked slimy egg and cheap baked beans. There was also a tomato cut in half that had been lovingly cremated to charcoal on one side and left raw on the other.
I suggested that toast might be an idea, given that this is normal with most breakfasts anywhere else. I was told I could have purchased a toasted roll, though God knows what that would have cost. As it was, the breakfast came to £7.95
The ‘Gourmet’ Spicy Bean Burger : Well it didn’t look anything like the picture of the burger shown in the supplied picture. For starters the ‘Chips’ advertised on the menu and shown in the picture, turned out to be about 15/20 overcooked cheap French Fries. It did come with some salad, but the Bean Burger itself was completely soggy, giving the amazing texture of, well,mashed up spicy beans!

Overall a nasty experience that has left a very bad taste in my mouth. I would never recommend anyone to try this place. Everything is ridiculously overpriced for what it is. The whole meal came to £26.55 and being amazingly generous given the quality of the ingredients, should not have come to more than £15. There are many, many better places to eat, supplying better quality food at much cheaper prices.

5  Thank MrC1972

Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

Went here with my partner we had good service great coffee and amazing food. Burgers are excellent! As its undercover weather will be of no concern they also have heaters.

2  Thank Jenny R
Reviewed 29 April 2013

The salad arrived which consisted of salad leaves not cut arranged or anything a tomato quartered a few dried up slices of pepper and 3 falafel s which were flavourless. Some congealed slimy chilli sauce poured in dollops on top,took over half and hour to arrive and cost was very unrealistic.

1  Thank Bob K
Reviewed 28 February 2013

The best cafe in Exeter. The new Gourmet burgers are superb. Awesome live music on a Saturday. Perfect place to chill with a book on a Saturday afternoon and soak up the atmosphere.

Reviewed 19 February 2013

Yum yum yum. Portobello mushroom burger is to die for (drooooooool)
Really good real food. Well worth walking down the hill lol.
Staff are lovely. Very friendly & accommodating.
If you've never ventured this way you're certainly missing out.
Love this place