“disappointing expensive”
Review of Ferns

Ferns
Ranked #391 of 546 Restaurants in Exeter
Reviewed 11 May 2014

have visited Ferns many times but find that since the current owners have been there the prices have shot up, the last time we visited the rolls were priced at £3.60 and large coffee is £1.95 we ordered 2 of each tuna, and were charged £12.00. On querying this we were told that rolls were From £3.60 and the tuna ones have recently gone up! All the food should be individually priced.
Called in again today, have a tuna roll and a turkey roll, and 2 coffees, again £12.00 despite the board saying that rolls are £3.60 and sandwiches are FROM £3.60 !
Not only that the turkey in the roll was off, not sure if the counter is a chilled one, but other turkey rolls remained on show, ( pity the next poor person that ends up with food poisoning.
Definately the last visit for me.

2  Thank juliemr2

Reviewed 28 April 2014

We saw a big poster in the window advertising tea and a cake for £3.95, so followed someone on a mobility scooter in and ordered 2 teas and 2 cakes. I asked the woman what cakes were with the offer and she ignored me. She seemed more interested in looking out the door. We asked again what cakes were with the offer and she said have any, which surprised us. She then charged over £10. We queried it and was told the offer was 2pm - 5 and it was 1.45pm and only some of the cake was on offer. We paid up and while eating mentioned to someone else that we were unhappy, and the lady who served us came over, and called us liars and that we weren't welcome. There was a board saying the time as we came in but missed it because it was at floor level and the mobility scooter obscured it. We were not rude at all, but feel she was OTT and she said she was the owner. NEVER AGAIN.

3  Thank Val O
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We came across Ferns quite by chance and very pleased that we did. A good selection of food - the vegetarian pizza was tasty! - and very quick service, even at lunch time. We'll definitely be returning.

Reviewed 5 February 2014

Having been told we couldn't have our pushchair at our table (it wasn't busy-in fact we were one of the few tables occupied in that area), & hearing a lady being told she could breastfeed at the back 'as long as she was discrete', we realised Ferns wasn't for us.

To be fair, although a little dated, the premises is clean and offers a good range of food. There are some nice cakes on offer.

Price wise,it is on a par with other independants nearby-not cheap.

If you don't have children and don't mind paying a bit more for a fairly average jacket/sandwich/soup type meal then it's fine.

Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

Being a local I have visited Ferns before for the great cakes. However when I visited on Saturday 18 Jan I was left disappointed. I was charged £25 (and odd pence) for a cold piece of quiche, a ham & cheese baguette, 2 small dishes for the salad bar & 2 soft drinks. I was stunned. I barely got £3 change from the £30 I handed over. Whilst I appreciate that Ferns pride themselves on home made & quality food, the proof was or sadly in the pudding so to speak. The quiche came on it's own with a tiny side of cress/leafage & the baguette came with nothing. It was also sadly rather bland & tasteless. It was frustrating to find that although Ferns had many boards up, not one of them contained the sandwich/baguette fillings available or any prices. In fact on recollection I don't recall seeing anything priced. I had to ask how much the salad bar was - £3.50ish for the small dish and £5ish for the ever-so-slightly larger dish. We were also told it was one helping only from the salad bar. A bit of a cheek after charging me £25 for a cold and mediocre lunch. To add insult to injury, I emailed Ferns to see if there had been an error with my order as price seemed rather high, and I have received no reply.
It is obviously a popular place to eat as it was very busy and the service was average, lots of staff milling about behind the food counter talking amongst themselves. Avoid unless you are happy to break the bank!!

2  Thank BobblyBobbles