“Fine”

Great Western Hotel
Ranked #29 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Stayed here for two nights in September 20123. This hotel was perfectly adequate for the price. My single room was clean (if a bit on the small side), the staff were pleasant and friendly and the breakfast was good (although the poached egg I asked for seemed to have been 'poached' in hot oil). As per other reviews, extremely convenient for the station. Also highly convenient for the kebab van opposite which is open until 4am on Fridays and Saturdays.
Exactly what I'd expected for the price, if anything, I was pleasantly surprised after reading the other reviews.

Would definitely stay again if I needed a budget option in the area.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 21 September 2013

If you planning to tour Devon by train with Exeter as base, then this is a great place to stay- it is just outside the railway station (less than 50 metres); the room that I was in was en-suite; good English breakfast, basic but pleasant service and the pub is right inside the hotel! Good value for money! Exeter Centre is also just 12 minutes walk for dining out!

Room Tip: Ask for an suite room on second floor - they are quieter with no noise from the pub; although one ma...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank corfumumbai
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Fortunately I hadn't read the reviews before my daughter and I stayed at the Great Western whilst daughter number 2 was moving into Exeter uni. Despite the whinging reviews... which I read afterwards... my daughter and I enjoyed our stay. The room was clean and tidy and remarkably peaceful considering the location. Despite the fact that the hotel was fully booked the receptionist was friendly and helpful. We dined in the restaurant in the evening and the food was simple but well prepared and presented and the staff prompt and attentive. The inclusive breakfast was good value and again the staff were prompt and helpful. I have stayed in hundreds of hotels all over the world for work and pleasure and whilst this is no Waldorf Astoria it was comfortable, convenient and good value and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again for uni visits.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 August 2013

One of the most depressing hotels I've ever been in. Thank god it was only for one night.
There was a huge hole in the wall and in the floor, hardly any light in the bathroom and everything else was broken. And it wasn't even that cheap; I paid 72,- euro....
The beds were horrible, I felt like i was sliding out of them.
There are so much better places for this budget, so avoid the 'Great Western Hotel'......

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 August 2013

This is an old Victorian Railway Hotel that appears to be trapped in a 1950s timewarp.
It is good value and is very conveniently located so if you need a cheap hotel by Exeter St David's station this will do the job, but.....
Neither the exterior or the interior look like they have seen a lick of paint for about 50 years, the carpet is threadbare and the rooms, which are of a decent size, incredibly dated. As a consequence it looks really shabby and uninviting. Given its state the staff do a remarkable job to keep it so clean.
Internally there is no lift and the lay out is something of a warren. In the rooms there are tea and coffee making facilities but the water pressure for the shower is dreadful.
The staff, and by this I mean the one person who seemed to be doing everything, are fine but there only seems to be one person ever available - even in the bar in the evening. Interesting that the clients in both the bar and hotel seemed to be exclusively male with the only women in the building being the staff.
With some attention this could reclaim past glories but without some remedial work it will be left to what seems to be its terminal decline.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank AnonLondon23
Reviewed 8 August 2013

I booked this hotel despite the poor reviews because of location. How easy it would have been to simply catch a regular service to Central to a decent place.
When I arrived I asked to look at the room before I accepted a second night. Told it wasn't yet cleaned and I couldn't see until 2pm.That was the cut off time to decide on a second night!! A miracle occurred and suddenly I could see the room. Checked. Light not working.. I presumed that a new bulb had been tried.. Asked that a lamp be provided. Back that evening. No lamp. Light not working. Spoke to receptionist. They couldn't find a lamp.
Finally I spoke to the bar manager who sorted a bulb for the existing light. Voila..it worked. A total " CAN"T DO" attitude. The female receptionist was a nice person but someone needs to come in here and give this grimy dump a really good clean, employ staff with a better attitude, shut off a room at a time and bring it into this century. Pathetic shower. Noisy room. Hard bed. Good wifi. Breakfast OK.

Room Tip: Don't bother...you would be lucky indeed to find one
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I arrived late Saturday afternoon with 11 others for a hen party. Not overly worried about the accommodation as long as it was a bed to sleep in overnight. And I've never ever made a review before but this was very much needed, so to warn others.
The reception staff wasnt exactly friendly baring in mind the business they had been given..6 rooms. 12 guests. Each cost £64. I finally found my room top floor, the entire landing smelling of fags, and the room door located right in the corner so I had to squeeze in.
Opened the door turn the lights on, no bulbs. Then get greeted by a galling big hole I assume has been punched in the wall?
The bathroom had tiles missing that were hidden under the sink. And the bathroom was filthy, the bath so grimy and uncleaned that I actually showered in flip flops. And I'm no snob. The shower would only let through scorching hot water no mater how much I turned the cold tap.
If you opened the cupboard door the whole thing tilts over nearly collapsing. The noise from outside and the pub across the road was so loud I had to shut the window on a stuffy day. People literally shouting and chanting at one another and running in the middle of the road.
I was glad to get downstairs finally for a drink in the bar. However baring in mind it was 12 women dressed in army gear looking for a few drinks before heading out you may have thought the staff would be more welcoming. They were miserable as sin, and bloody expensive. £3.95 for a pint and dash of lemonade. Couldn't wait to get out possibly to be greated by smiles???
In the morning I headed down for breakfast at 9.37 am to be told it finished at 9.30am. Where on earth stops breakfast that bloody early? A hotel? I had paid for bed and breakfast. What a joke! The receptionist did make some toast. I was eternally greatful, not!
I couldn't be happier to get out of the over expensive dirty dump with the most dull barstaff I have ever come across. And to let it be know this group were not drunk, rowdy or a pain in anyway. Especially for a hen do. Thoroughly disappointed. Would of asked for my money back but clearly that wouldn't have been worth the struggle. Do not stay here!

• Stayed: August 2013