“disappointing” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #27 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Exeter, United Kingdom
“disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

I booked to take my wife for her birthday meal, I booked several days in advance . We were led to what was described as the restaurant, but there were people there who were not eating,just an extention of the bar! The waiter who attended us was very polite, but twice he had to return to tell us that our choices were not available. We found that although the food was ok , it was overpriced, the wine was nice but very overpriced. All in all a bit of a disappointment. Shall not be returning unfortunately.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Southampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2012

We were part of a party of 30 at the end of November - our usual Christmas party get together for the group. The price was good, but the food and service was terrible. The staff didn't look like they could cope with a big party. The food was barely edible and there were lots of complaints. Out of 3 courses with 3 options for each, only 1 or the starters and one of the main course dishes got any favourable votes from the 30 of us. The rest went unfinished and some went virtually untouched.

Would definitely not recommend.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank 172kate

Travellers are raving about these Exeter hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2011

The City Gate Hotel taken over and revamped by Young's of London has become a favourite venue for me and it would seem most of my friends in the last few years. Under the new management of Carl and Rose the City Gate has blossomed with good staff; an excellent range of food; Young's Ales and guest ales and a happy, relaxed atmosphere aided by an open log fire in winter. The Hotel accommodation is of good quality and constantly being improved. Situated within easy walking distance of two main line railway stations; not far from the M5 motorway and Exeter International airport, The City Gate is to be thoroughly recommended as a base for exploring Devon and the West Country.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

Although the staff were really friendly and helpful, I felt the rooms were over-priced and could do with a bit of TLC. However the hotel is ideally situated for the City centre and the bar area was very welcoming.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SunnyRay1980
Nottingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2011

Having stayed before I arrived having come to expect the hospitality and care to which I had become accustomed in previous years. This however could not have been further from the reality of my stay.

The bar staff to their credit were very polite and helpful. Upon raising a grievance about my uncleaned room a young lad behind the bar apologised, kindly offered me a drink during my wait and fetched the General Manager, a larger woman in her late 40's who was incredibly cold and seemingly unhappy to address my issue which given it's nature I felt was completely unfair. She skulked off brashly informing me that someone would sort it out. The room following this was still not particularly clean, stained floors, lights not working.. though this I did not feel welcome in bringing this up due to my previous encounter. The overall experience felt unwelcoming and unclean which for a trusted name as Young's is not what I expected. When discussing with another guest of the hotel the disappointment appeared to be a prevailing opinion!

I will consider carefully before staying in a Young's hotel again and certainly not The City Gate Hotel. The saving grace was the staff, who despite the attitude of their manager were very polite and hospitable. I felt more welcome speaking to the staff than the management!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Ben C
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2011

number of stays lst year = 30+
numbr of stays this year= no more!

Pros -
central location, good selection of beers ales and wines, reasonable rates for a city centre hotel.

Cons-
dusty and drab rooms, very cold if bad weather, unorganised management of bookings (if your booking.com booking has reached them and been added to their system that is, sloppy and slow served food. most unhospitable atmosphere encountred for a long time.

at present would not reccomend this hotel which is a shame as the hotel used to have a certain warmth and charm about it that is severely missed. I joined some of the regulars by the fireplace one evening whom shared the same opinion as myself.

Come on guys bring back the City Gate we used to love.

Room Tip: ask for room 7 or 9 or 12 three of the slightly better rooms
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank martync1962
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2011

I returned to the city gate after a handful of previous visits last year. Had I not been before I would not have known it was the same hotel. The warm friendly atmosphere has been replaced with sour miserable attitudes. The food dire the place dirty. The staff could have been inmates in a prison the lack of wanting to be there. One member of staff a young lad behind the bar was very helpful when I mentioned my room had obviously not been serviced he apologised got me a drink and asked me to have a seat whilst he got a member of management. I waited for 15mins before I was rudely told that she was busy with a wedding which is why I had to wait and without apology managed to make me feel I was in the wrong for taking up her valuable time. I told her my room number on the first floor to which she replied it had been and walked off flustered muttering she would get a member of staff to sort it!!! I asked the young lad to speak to someone above her to which his response was she was the general manager . He fetched a young lady who I was told was the assistant manager. A complete contrast very polite and apologetic and very efficient in rectifying the situation. I would say that the people in charge here should maybe read a manual on hospitality and realise it is a job where you will have to deal with people and maybe crack a smile!! On a plus lovely court yard garden good ales and would reccomend their gourmet burgers.

• Stayed August 2011