“Central and homely” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #27 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Portugal
“Central and homely”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

I have stayed at the City Gate Hotel with my mother, to attend my graduation events for the One Planet MBA, by the University of Exeter Business School. I can easily recommend this hotel, as the staff is very friendly and helpful, it is smack in the middle of town and great value for money, the room was spacious and tidy, and downstairs there is a good pub with some fine local ale (Youngs).
There was a bit of a miscommunication between the staff, as I had asked for us to have breakfast a little early than the schedule on Saturdays (it's from 8am, but I asked to have it at 7h45 as I had to be at the Great Hall for graduation at 8h30), and the manager in the morning shift didn't know about it.
However, the manager did his best to have breakfast served speedily and didn't even charge us for it, as we had to eat it a bit too fast. They asked for the taxi to come pick us up and told the taxi driver to wait for a little bit. It was fine and I wasn't late for an outstanding graduation ceremony with Louella Benjamin, a force of nature!

Room Tip: Any room should be good, as it faces a fairly quiet street, and yet try and get a room not facing th...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2013

The City Gate is well situated for the centre of Exeter and there is nearby free overnight parking. As my two normal haunts were sold out, I decided to try the City Gate for a two night business stopover.

You access the rooms through the bar, so there's always a temptation to stop for a drink from the bar. The pub itself is quite comfy and relaxed and has a nice fireplace and plenty of space. (Malt whisky selection was a bit thin on the ground though!)

I was in Room 10 which, while spacious with plenty of facilities, was a little dated. The sash window, whilst a nice feature, rattled in the wind overnight which was an annoyance, but not enough for me to kick off. The bathroom was again perfectly OK but slightly dated. The air conditioning unit appeared not to be working at all and the room was a little on the chilly side. Again, not really worth kicking off about but it wasn't the best place I have stopped in Exeter.

The breakfast was good and the staff very accommodating - and there was fresh fruit on offer which I always like.

I didn't eat dinner here so can't comment on that.

I think overall this is a decent enough place to get your head down but I think price wise you can do better for not a great deal more money. If this was about £20 a night cheaper I would be giving a higher mark but the reality is that there are better hotels available in Exeter, particularly if you are booking in advance.

I would definitely return to the City Gate if in Exeter and in need of somewhere I can rely on - but there are better hotels.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
saltash
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2012

Had a 'good' nights stay .Bed was gorgeous and it was very quiet in the room we stayed in.
Unfortunatly through the night I was very very ill.I was unable to leave the room the next day at the booking out time but the staff allowed me to stay in my room a lot longer than I should have .When I came to leave they helped me out of the hotel.I felt quite looked after.
Thankyou very much

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Verwood, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2012

The Hotel is pretty central there is a Council ( Pay) Car park opposite with Secure Overnight Parking. The Pub part was interesting with good Beer and Pub food, a nice Garden & Conseravtory, the offer of warm blankets Hot water bottles & a glass of mulled Cider , inticed me outside on a bright winters day. The room was clean and had everything you would need. The Proprietors were very helpful if there was anything needed, just ask! For a last minute booking in a City i didnt know , i was glad i chose a Pub/ Hotel, yes a little bit of noise BUT nothing that bothered me, i slept fantastically, more interesting than some stark hotels i've been in.

Room Tip: Phone first and talk to them if you have specific needs
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Sheena O
Reading
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2012

I hadn't stayed here for a while, partly because I saw some bad reviews and thought I'd try somewhere else for a change, but on returning it reminded me that this was my favourite place to stay for a quick business trip to Exeter (and I'm sure quite OK for a tourist trip too since the location is excellent for central Exeter and the St. David's and Central stations).

This isn't posh and the breakfast is pretty simple but the bed was comfy, the room warm and the welcome friendly, and of course they serve good beer. Also, the internet is pretty fast.

I paid £60 for 1 night room only which I consider was good value and £6.50 for breakfast the next day.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
hertfordshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2012

Pro's first; a great location for shopping and for an evening out. The bed was also comfy. But thats it.
Cons; We arrived 15 mins early and were told we couldn't check in even though the room was ready!
We got overcharged at the bar and were made to feel awkward when we asked for a refund.
The room was freezing with poorly fitted windows and a small plug in radiator that took ages to get warm.
The bath was greasy (not been cleaned i presume!)
Requested high and quiet and got a room next to two sets of traffic lights on the busy road. Yes road was busy all night so sleep quaility poor (lucky the bed was comfy)
would not stay here again or recomend it. sorry city gate.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank takmij

Travellers are raving about these Exeter hotels

Cardiff, Wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2012

My wife and I were on a short visit to see my sister who is resident in a Plymouth care home. I am from Plymouth, but to my shame had never been to Exeter, just up the road. However, we decided to make a wekend of it, and booked the City Gate pretty well at the last minute on Booking.com. On arrival, and finding the hotel was a bit tricky as signposting off the adjacent A30 is a bit of a lottery, we pulled into what we thought was the hotel layby, only to be told to move pretty sharpish to a nearby council owned carpark, as the predatory wardens were circling nearby. Our first, and lasting impression of the hotel,was one of disappointment. The public area was rattling with the early drinkers, and the accommodation was accessed up some awkward stairs. The carpets were threadbare and soiled, our room was dominated by the bed, and the ensuite was via three steps into a tiny toilet and shower. We were told that we must keep the separting door closed when taking a shower as the fire alarm would go off! This meant that the ensuite filled with steam as the extractor fan wasn't working. The room overlooked the pretty rear beer-garden, which meant that sleep was at a premium until the wee, small hours. Breakfast the following morning, something which we were looking forward to, was poor. We sat down at 9:10 and my wife wisely went for the fruit juice and muesli option, with coffee. I asked for the full English, a rare treat these health concious days. There were some rugby supporters down from Wales (my home too), but one of these pestered the life out of the pretty staff member, who was waiting at table, but not in a nice way. When my breakfast finally arrived at 9:45, it contained black pudding, bacon and a sausage, all of which had been cooked well in advance; the egg was freshly cooked (poached), and I ate this on some cold toast which I had been given some 30 mins earlier, with my tea. Although we were booked for a further night, we would not recommend this experience. Pros: the staff were attentive and welcoming, the beer (Young's special) was very, very good, and the rear garden was a pretty and quiet place to enjoy before the boys arrive. Cons: stale breakfast, tired accomodation, tricky entry and exit from the ensuite, particularly in the middle of the night, and the noise from the beer garden well into the night........
oh, and the outrageous charges for parking... just less than £25 for less than 2 days!

Room Tip: Can't think of one
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple