“Comfortable hotel with great staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The City Gate Hotel-TEMPORARILY CLOSED

The City Gate Hotel-TEMPORARILY CLOSED
Ranked #27 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Calgary, Canada
“Comfortable hotel with great staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2013

Excellent value hotel in a very good location close to High Street and key tourist sites. We noted that the staff seemed especially dedicated and helpful to their guests. Rooms are modern and well equipped. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Portland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2013

I have stayed at the City Gate Hotel on numerous occasions and I can't rate it highly enough. The food here is first class and the menu is varied and changed regularly. The team headed up by Landlords Carl and Rosie are so warm and friendly and extremely helpful, nothing is too much trouble for them. In summer the conservatory or the lovely sunny garden are a delight and in winter a gorgeous roaring log fire welcomes you, along with a really fun pub quiz on a Tuesday night. If I had to pick an area for improvement I would say it is the decor and carpets in the accommodation area, which are a bit tired and in need of an update. As a female business traveller I feel very safe at the City Gate and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank PortlandNicki
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2013

Stayed at the City Gate whilst attending a gig in the City. The staff were really helpful from the moment we booked, helping us with dietary requirements via email and also suggesting restaurants that would cater to our needs as well.
There is no parking at the hotel but there is a multi storey car park across the road, however we managed to park easily on a side road very close to the hotel.
The city gate is a beautiful old building and as such some of the features are a little tired but we thought it added to it's character. The rooms have sash windows and only a small heater so it was quite cold when we first arrived but the air con soon brought the temperature up.
All in all a very nice hotel, centrally located and a very good price.

• Stayed February 2013
Bedford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2013 via mobile

I thought the hotel was great value for money (only £60 having booked on booking.com) but that aside, all the staff I encountered were polite, friendly and genuine. The pub is atmospheric and had some great looking food even though we didn't eat there. Walking distance from Exeter Cathedral and the rest of the city center.

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Burlington, Vermont
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2013

We booked primarily because of the promise of air conditioning. The location is great. Walking distance to many points of interest, shopping and food. I can honestly say that the meal we ate there was easily the second best meal we had during our entire stay in the UK.
The hallways and carpets in public spaces could use some cleaning and ding repair.
The rooms were clean and functional. We couldn't figure out how to turn the shower on, but eventually figured it out. The air conditioning in our room worked great.
We learned the next morning that the air in our companion's room had not worked, and she was too tired to deal with the desk, so did without. The manageress made it very clear that she could care less when we mentioned it during check out. She ignored the complaint while processing our bill. Again, we told her that we had specifically booked the room for the air conditioning. "We'll look into it she responded" no apology, no smile. Service at the bar, and restaurant were great.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Portugal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

I have stayed at the City Gate Hotel with my mother, to attend my graduation events for the One Planet MBA, by the University of Exeter Business School. I can easily recommend this hotel, as the staff is very friendly and helpful, it is smack in the middle of town and great value for money, the room was spacious and tidy, and downstairs there is a good pub with some fine local ale (Youngs).
There was a bit of a miscommunication between the staff, as I had asked for us to have breakfast a little early than the schedule on Saturdays (it's from 8am, but I asked to have it at 7h45 as I had to be at the Great Hall for graduation at 8h30), and the manager in the morning shift didn't know about it.
However, the manager did his best to have breakfast served speedily and didn't even charge us for it, as we had to eat it a bit too fast. They asked for the taxi to come pick us up and told the taxi driver to wait for a little bit. It was fine and I wasn't late for an outstanding graduation ceremony with Louella Benjamin, a force of nature!

Room Tip: Any room should be good, as it faces a fairly quiet street, and yet try and get a room not facing th...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2013

The City Gate is well situated for the centre of Exeter and there is nearby free overnight parking. As my two normal haunts were sold out, I decided to try the City Gate for a two night business stopover.

You access the rooms through the bar, so there's always a temptation to stop for a drink from the bar. The pub itself is quite comfy and relaxed and has a nice fireplace and plenty of space. (Malt whisky selection was a bit thin on the ground though!)

I was in Room 10 which, while spacious with plenty of facilities, was a little dated. The sash window, whilst a nice feature, rattled in the wind overnight which was an annoyance, but not enough for me to kick off. The bathroom was again perfectly OK but slightly dated. The air conditioning unit appeared not to be working at all and the room was a little on the chilly side. Again, not really worth kicking off about but it wasn't the best place I have stopped in Exeter.

The breakfast was good and the staff very accommodating - and there was fresh fruit on offer which I always like.

I didn't eat dinner here so can't comment on that.

I think overall this is a decent enough place to get your head down but I think price wise you can do better for not a great deal more money. If this was about £20 a night cheaper I would be giving a higher mark but the reality is that there are better hotels available in Exeter, particularly if you are booking in advance.

I would definitely return to the City Gate if in Exeter and in need of somewhere I can rely on - but there are better hotels.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business