“Not Bad”

Ranked #24 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Houston, Texas
“Not Bad”
Reviewed 26 April 2013

I chose this hotel for 2 reasons, first the location since it is quite central, and also the price. Oh and also they have free WiFi which EVERY hotel should have these days.

Now the hotel itself isn't bad. The carpets and rooms are a bit shabby and the beds are old and you can feel the springs poking through the mattresses.

The shower has a handle sticking out of the wall so you can barely get under the shower head without that sticking into you, and you have to have the bathroom door closed when you are in the shower else the smoke detector goes off, which means the mirror ends up too fogged to use and the bathrooms smell of damp. The air conditioner is very loud and turned itself on twice in the middle of the night. I was missing a light bulb for 3 days until I remembered to ask in reception for one. This should be something the cleaner checks. The cleanliness wasn't great. There was slime and black mould in the shower and dirt on the windowsill like it rarely got wiped off.

I didn't eat here but the bar is friendly and the beer garden is pleasant. The breakfast isn't bad but if you want a croissant you have to sit waiting 20 minutes for it to be cooked since they are par-baked. I had a cooked breakfast on my last day only and ordered 5 items. When it came 2 of the items were missing and I had 2 items I hadn't ordered. My fiance (who joined me for one night) also got the wrong items at breakfast. The waiter takes one order disappears for ages rather than going round writing down what each person wants. Most days I just had the cereal and milk and fruit juice though which was OK.

You have a kettle in the room and tea bags and coffee sachets as well as cookies and UHT milk cartons. There are toiletries in the bathroom too, shower gel, soap and shampoo if I remember right.

All in all the hotel wasn't bad and if there was an option to give it a 3 and a half I would have done that. I don't think it deserves a 4 but according to Trip Advisor 3 is 'average' and that is about what I was say about this hotel. I probably wouldn't stay again, I'd rather pay another 20 or 30 pounds a nice and stay somewhere a bit less shabby.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2013

I really enjoyed staying here.

Due to my delayed flight from Glasgow I ended up staying here an extra night. By the time I arrived I had missed last orders on food but the boys behind the bar were brilliant in finding and ordering me a takeaway and fixing me a beer. Throughout my stay the staff were always extremely personal and helpful. The pub downstairs was a great place to relax in the evening and served good food – fantastic fish and chips.

The room was a fine size for one person - well appointed with a good sized comfortable double bed. The bathroom was an adventure! I thought I had ended up with a shower in a cupboard but it turned out to be a set of stairs leading up to the little bathroom. The bathroom was ok but freezing and the shower was small, though quite hot and powerful.

Hotel was in a very good location for city centre access – just around the corner from the high street and M&S, and about a 5-10min walk to the bus station.

Room Tip: Room 6 has a lovely view of the garden.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Braunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2013

We will only ever use this hotel in Exeter in the future. The hotel is exceptionally clean and well run. Our room was very large, spotless, very well decorated and the bed very comfortable. Breakfast for an extra £10 for two was also great. the staff are very friendly and Jenny thought the mild flirting from the good looking bar staff was a perk. Frankly we don't want to tell you how good it was so it is available for us. Fabulously close to the city center and the Cathedral.We are also not going to tell you about the sneaky free parking very close, you will have to use the secure pay parking 100m away.

Hoteliers in the area go and have a look at how this one is run an emulate it......

Room Tip: Call them for a cheaper rate, they will remove the web page commission. Our room was excellent, but...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 11 March 2013

Excellent value hotel in a very good location close to High Street and key tourist sites. We noted that the staff seemed especially dedicated and helpful to their guests. Rooms are modern and well equipped. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Portland
Reviewed 27 February 2013

I have stayed at the City Gate Hotel on numerous occasions and I can't rate it highly enough. The food here is first class and the menu is varied and changed regularly. The team headed up by Landlords Carl and Rosie are so warm and friendly and extremely helpful, nothing is too much trouble for them. In summer the conservatory or the lovely sunny garden are a delight and in winter a gorgeous roaring log fire welcomes you, along with a really fun pub quiz on a Tuesday night. If I had to pick an area for improvement I would say it is the decor and carpets in the accommodation area, which are a bit tired and in need of an update. As a female business traveller I feel very safe at the City Gate and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank PortlandNicki
Reviewed 24 February 2013

Stayed at the City Gate whilst attending a gig in the City. The staff were really helpful from the moment we booked, helping us with dietary requirements via email and also suggesting restaurants that would cater to our needs as well.
There is no parking at the hotel but there is a multi storey car park across the road, however we managed to park easily on a side road very close to the hotel.
The city gate is a beautiful old building and as such some of the features are a little tired but we thought it added to it's character. The rooms have sash windows and only a small heater so it was quite cold when we first arrived but the air con soon brought the temperature up.
All in all a very nice hotel, centrally located and a very good price.

• Stayed February 2013
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 February 2013 via mobile

I thought the hotel was great value for money (only £60 having booked on booking.com) but that aside, all the staff I encountered were polite, friendly and genuine. The pub is atmospheric and had some great looking food even though we didn't eat there. Walking distance from Exeter Cathedral and the rest of the city center.

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple