“Cheap and cheerful hotel”

The City Gate Hotel
Ranked #19 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Reviewed 1 June 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights in May whilst visiting a friend.

This hotel is one of the cheapest in town and it was a place to rest my head really.

The room was clean, the staff courteous and the noise level low.

It is dated, in need of a refurb and the room was very small. The bed wasn't the most comfortable.

If you are looking for a budget hotel to just sleep in, this will do the job but nothing more.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 27 May 2013

I was attending a get together with friends that I trained with. The hotel is a little dated and the carpets could do with replacing. However it is very central. We hired the garden room and the staff looked after us very well.
I had room 6 and the room was ok but it only had a very old tatty shower which didn't work very well.

Room Tip: Don't have room 6. No swimming pool or fitness centre.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 May 2013

My brother was performing a gig at the cellar bar at this great, and quirky little pub/ hotel, although I have not stayed there the bar was not too busy like most city pubs on a Friday night, and had a relaxed, chilled atmosphere. The only grumble I would have is that particular night there was no thatchers gold on tap, but not to worry, the waggle dance beer the barmaid suggested as a good alternative was well founded, brewed with honey it has a unique taste, I'm now hooked and have several bottles chilling in my fridge. The cellar bar is an interesting venue for live music, and also has its own bar to save you having to walk back up to the main bar for drinks, it gives a great atmosphere and a good evening was had by all.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 May 2013

Lovley hotel / Bar!!

Personal found it hard to find, but dont know area and didnt have sat nav, so our error!!

Very welcoming on arrival. Friendly staff!
The bedroom was great, not basic but not too fussy, nice deep bath, lovley toiletry freebies, soft clean towels,

No stress access for those who are returning home from a late night / wedding

Breakfast -just what the doctor ordered!! VERY Good!! came with TWO hash browns :)

Book online as will save you a few pennies!!

Would definatly stay here again

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 April 2013

I chose this hotel for 2 reasons, first the location since it is quite central, and also the price. Oh and also they have free WiFi which EVERY hotel should have these days.

Now the hotel itself isn't bad. The carpets and rooms are a bit shabby and the beds are old and you can feel the springs poking through the mattresses.

The shower has a handle sticking out of the wall so you can barely get under the shower head without that sticking into you, and you have to have the bathroom door closed when you are in the shower else the smoke detector goes off, which means the mirror ends up too fogged to use and the bathrooms smell of damp. The air conditioner is very loud and turned itself on twice in the middle of the night. I was missing a light bulb for 3 days until I remembered to ask in reception for one. This should be something the cleaner checks. The cleanliness wasn't great. There was slime and black mould in the shower and dirt on the windowsill like it rarely got wiped off.

I didn't eat here but the bar is friendly and the beer garden is pleasant. The breakfast isn't bad but if you want a croissant you have to sit waiting 20 minutes for it to be cooked since they are par-baked. I had a cooked breakfast on my last day only and ordered 5 items. When it came 2 of the items were missing and I had 2 items I hadn't ordered. My fiance (who joined me for one night) also got the wrong items at breakfast. The waiter takes one order disappears for ages rather than going round writing down what each person wants. Most days I just had the cereal and milk and fruit juice though which was OK.

You have a kettle in the room and tea bags and coffee sachets as well as cookies and UHT milk cartons. There are toiletries in the bathroom too, shower gel, soap and shampoo if I remember right.

All in all the hotel wasn't bad and if there was an option to give it a 3 and a half I would have done that. I don't think it deserves a 4 but according to Trip Advisor 3 is 'average' and that is about what I was say about this hotel. I probably wouldn't stay again, I'd rather pay another 20 or 30 pounds a nice and stay somewhere a bit less shabby.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 April 2013

I really enjoyed staying here.

Due to my delayed flight from Glasgow I ended up staying here an extra night. By the time I arrived I had missed last orders on food but the boys behind the bar were brilliant in finding and ordering me a takeaway and fixing me a beer. Throughout my stay the staff were always extremely personal and helpful. The pub downstairs was a great place to relax in the evening and served good food – fantastic fish and chips.

The room was a fine size for one person - well appointed with a good sized comfortable double bed. The bathroom was an adventure! I thought I had ended up with a shower in a cupboard but it turned out to be a set of stairs leading up to the little bathroom. The bathroom was ok but freezing and the shower was small, though quite hot and powerful.

Hotel was in a very good location for city centre access – just around the corner from the high street and M&S, and about a 5-10min walk to the bus station.

Room Tip: Room 6 has a lovely view of the garden.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 April 2013

We will only ever use this hotel in Exeter in the future. The hotel is exceptionally clean and well run. Our room was very large, spotless, very well decorated and the bed very comfortable. Breakfast for an extra £10 for two was also great. the staff are very friendly and Jenny thought the mild flirting from the good looking bar staff was a perk. Frankly we don't want to tell you how good it was so it is available for us. Fabulously close to the city center and the Cathedral.We are also not going to tell you about the sneaky free parking very close, you will have to use the secure pay parking 100m away.

Hoteliers in the area go and have a look at how this one is run an emulate it......

Room Tip: Call them for a cheaper rate, they will remove the web page commission. Our room was excellent, but...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple