“Friendly comfortable digs”

The City Gate Hotel
Ranked #20 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Reviewed 20 September 2013

I enjoyed my stay at City Gate - centrally located, the staff were friendly - my room (number 9) was very large and bed comfortable. The dinner we had downstairs was great value and very tasty, I would stay here on a return visit to Exeter.

• Stayed: September 2013
There are newer reviews for The City Gate Hotel

Reviewed 18 September 2013

Only two blocks from Exeter Central Train Station is a delightful old hotel and pub with good food. Numer Two room is generously sized and the beds are very comfortable. Nighttime was very quiet. Reception and wait staff gave prompt service.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I booked into The City Gate Hotel for a 1-night stay. I liked the photographs and the location when I booked it but was disappointed on arrival. Although the bar area is very pleasant with lots of oak panelling and a good layout it took me almost 40 minutes to book-in as the manager was on a meeting and the very polite barmaid told me that she wasn't allowed to use the computer. I ordered a drink whilst I waited as I was told he would be there within 10 minutes but that wasn't the case. I would have walked out and gone elsewhere but as I had booked through Booking.com the hotel already had my card details and would still have charged me. When someone did finally book me in I made sure they knew I was NOT impressed.

After getting my room key I made my way upstairs and noticed that all the stair carpets were threadbare and there were cracks so big in the wall plaster Dr. Who would have run away (if you watch the Series you'll know what I mean). The room itself was ok but the sink had mold all around the inner edge. The mattress was lumpy and the 2 pillows were almost empty of filling. All this I could have accepted for maybe £30 - £40 per night but for nearer £70 it was terrible.

On the plus side there was free broadband internet in my room and it was very fast.

I didn't eat the breakfast so I cannot comment on that.

I won't be staying there again unless things improve or the rest of Exeter is full.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Happytravellerman
Reviewed 27 August 2013

While the rooms are getting tired now, they are always clean and the staff are friendly. We always choose this hotel when staying in Exeter because we like the service we get from the management. It is very central to the shops, a short walk from the station and 5 minutes drive from Marsh Barton trading estate, so works for business as well.
There is no car park, but you can park in the Council car park opposite and pay for the coming day.

Room Tip: Room 9 is a good family room, although it is on the top floor.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I stayed there with a bunch of girlfriends. I can honestly say the Hotel and especially the staff where excellent. The rooms clean and modern. There is a wonderful outside area and the bar was also great. Great find close to shops and night life. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: i stayed in Room 15 on second floor. I visited other rooms and they where all excellent.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Stayed overnight pot luck! The hotel a little sad, however the room was great! working air con nice bathroom tv etc all working.We had a meal first class! staff really attentive [Kriss] served us
and knew his menu. All very good a great nights sleep. All in all a good overnight.

Room Tip: We had no 1 no reason to believe the others were not as good
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Great Hotel / pub in Exeter. Stayed there on business for just one night - a chance booking booking because the normal hotels I stay at were full (the large ones). Arrived 23:30. Staff could not have been more helpful - a real joy to arrive at such a place. Room was far, far, better than I'd hoped for. Large, clean, good quality oak furniture, great bathroom and good shower. Usual range of toiletries. OK, no trouser press but that's hardly worth complaining about. Good breakfast and same helpfulness from (different) staff. Maybe I got lucky with the room and maybe I'm not as concerned as others about the usual chrome/slate/high gloss furniture. I wanted a good place to sleep and got it. OK, some road noise, but I slept fine with the window open and air con off. Decent sized TV, usual freeview channels - decent speed wifi and tea and coffee making facilities of same (maybe slightly better) standard than the big hotels. SO, overall, great experience.

Room Tip: Higher floors will have less road intrusion, but remember it's on a hill and some drivers aren...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business