“Great Wedding Venue”

Ranked #25 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Great Wedding Venue”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We recently had our wedding lunch and evening reception here and cannot say enough thanks to Carl, Rosie and the team for taking such great care of every detail and for making our day just fantastic. The food was wonderful, the service was superb, the venue itself was ideal , the bedrooms are great and so was the breakfast. If you are getting married then go and have a look at the City Gate, we did not even know it existed until we stumbled upon it for a Sunday Roast one day back in July and are so happy we did. We got married at the Registry Office and all our guests took a leisurely stroll in the sunshine afterwards to the City Gate. Thanks again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Bit tatty, in need of updating. Room clean, large bathroom but with big holes in the plaster! Reasonably good location, but should add extra £11 pn for carparking. Poor quality bed & pillows led to uncomfortable nights sleep. More 2 star B&B than 3 star hotel.

• Stayed September 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2013

I enjoyed my stay at City Gate - centrally located, the staff were friendly - my room (number 9) was very large and bed comfortable. The dinner we had downstairs was great value and very tasty, I would stay here on a return visit to Exeter.

• Stayed September 2013
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Only two blocks from Exeter Central Train Station is a delightful old hotel and pub with good food. Numer Two room is generously sized and the beds are very comfortable. Nighttime was very quiet. Reception and wait staff gave prompt service.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
England
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I booked into The City Gate Hotel for a 1-night stay. I liked the photographs and the location when I booked it but was disappointed on arrival. Although the bar area is very pleasant with lots of oak panelling and a good layout it took me almost 40 minutes to book-in as the manager was on a meeting and the very polite barmaid told me that she wasn't allowed to use the computer. I ordered a drink whilst I waited as I was told he would be there within 10 minutes but that wasn't the case. I would have walked out and gone elsewhere but as I had booked through Booking.com the hotel already had my card details and would still have charged me. When someone did finally book me in I made sure they knew I was NOT impressed.

After getting my room key I made my way upstairs and noticed that all the stair carpets were threadbare and there were cracks so big in the wall plaster Dr. Who would have run away (if you watch the Series you'll know what I mean). The room itself was ok but the sink had mold all around the inner edge. The mattress was lumpy and the 2 pillows were almost empty of filling. All this I could have accepted for maybe £30 - £40 per night but for nearer £70 it was terrible.

On the plus side there was free broadband internet in my room and it was very fast.

I didn't eat the breakfast so I cannot comment on that.

I won't be staying there again unless things improve or the rest of Exeter is full.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Happytravellerman

Travellers are raving about these Exeter hotels

London
Reviewed 27 August 2013

While the rooms are getting tired now, they are always clean and the staff are friendly. We always choose this hotel when staying in Exeter because we like the service we get from the management. It is very central to the shops, a short walk from the station and 5 minutes drive from Marsh Barton trading estate, so works for business as well.
There is no car park, but you can park in the Council car park opposite and pay for the coming day.

Room Tip: Room 9 is a good family room, although it is on the top floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
uk
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I stayed there with a bunch of girlfriends. I can honestly say the Hotel and especially the staff where excellent. The rooms clean and modern. There is a wonderful outside area and the bar was also great. Great find close to shops and night life. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: i stayed in Room 15 on second floor. I visited other rooms and they where all excellent.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends