All reviews fudge beer garden the pub cellar bar complimentary port boutique hotel hotel stay next morning great bathroom no lift sky tv nespresso machine exeter central station little touches mini bar definitely stay here again couple of nights
Reviewed 10 September 2018 via mobile

We decided last minute to stop in Exeter and read previous reviews on Tripadvisor so decided to take a chance. We never normally consider pub type accommodation but this was superb. Parking is a short walk and the hotel reception is separate from the bar which was good. We were checked in to Room 15 on the top floor, 2 short flights of stairs, no lift. On opening the door we were amazed, gorgeous view of Exeter Cathedral and a gorgeous room, super clean with loads of attention to detail and extra touches, really fantastic. Free little port and brownie bites, full mini fridge, drawer full of confectionery and high quality crisps and a Nespresso machine with a good selection of pods. The complimentary tea bags were organic and fresh milk in the fridge. The bathroom was great, lovely shower, great toiletries and a proper hairdryer in a bad hanging off the wardrobe door. So, impressed by this we decided to eat downstairs in the pub. We realised it was the same chain as our local so happy to eat there, step above the normal, definitely gastropub, asked for rare steak and got rare! Could anything get better during this experience? Anna (think deputy manager?) we encountered her at all points, reception, restaurant and behind the bar and her customer service is excellent, she made our stay even better and is absolutely what genuine hospitality is all about. We didn’t stay for breakfast so can’t comment but we left very happy and would definitely recommend

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Sarahmiso
City Gate E, Manager at The City Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2018

Good Morning Sarahmiso,

I hope you are well and enjoying your week.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review. We set our selves very high customer service standards and we really do appreciate when our guests tell us that we are achieving these standards.

I will pass your lovely comments on to Anna, who will be over the moon.

We hope that when you decide to stop in Exeter again, that we will be your first stop.

Have a great day!

Reviewed 9 September 2018 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night whilst my husband had emergency surgery on his back at Nuffield Health Hopsital. They staff were friendly the room was beautifully styled and very clean.

The complimentary fudge was such a lovely touch and I loved the teabags that were supplied.

I have already discussed staying here again with my husband!

Trip type: Travelled solo

Hello Laura M,

I hope you and your husband are well.

Thank you for taking the time to leave a lovely review, we appreciate all guest feedback!

We hope that we will be able to welcome you back again in the near future.

Have a lovely day.

Reviewed 6 September 2018 via mobile

What a gorgeous boutique hotel
Room 9 is just stunning , staff really friendly (big thanks to the young lads who brought my room service dinner upstairs)

Dinner was amazing, beautifully cooked plaice, polenta chips to die for and the wine was bone dry, chilled and served in a gorgeous over sized glass, just how I like it.

Room is incredibly well appointed with lots of drinks, and a couple of complimentary treats ( brownies and port - love it)

Shall return with other half for a non business stay

Also brilliant location - short stroll to the Quayside

Young’s - you have a total gem here !

Trip type: Travelled on business
City Gate E, Manager at The City Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2018

Dear 6471,

Thank you I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time in Citygate Hotel, and that we didn't let you down on food and service. I will pass the great feedback to our amazing team.

Looking forward to welcoming you again

Regards
Reception

Reviewed 28 August 2018 via mobile

An ultra modern appointed hotel room and bathroom.
Very well presented and double the size of a standard hotel room.
The staff are very friendly and helpful. In particular Steph.
We would not hesitate to return.
Many thanks to the hotel for making our stay so enjoyable.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
City Gate E, Manager at The City Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2018

Hello Jezc1234,

I hope you are enjoying your week.

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a lovely review. I am glad you enjoyed your experience with us and will be sure to pass your kind comments back to our team and most importantly our Stephanie.

We hope to welcome you back to the City Gate on your return to Exeter.

Have a lovely evening.

Reviewed 20 August 2018 via mobile

We decided to hold a small family party in the cellar bar . We were allowed to decorate the room in the afternoon for the party . The sound system was perfect and easy to play our own playlist through an iPhone ,the adjustable lighting was fab .
Staff were friendly and offers or help at all times.
We ordered party sharing boards which proved alittle too popular ! and we had to order some more food as back up which was provided without fuss.
I would suggest that they offer smaller plates when the party boards are for larger numbers of people rather than large dinner plates,but this was my only criticism .
Food was delicious .
Thank you for a great party venue . We all had the best evening.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends

Hello Katie H,

I hope you are well.

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent party with us. I am very glad that you and your guests enjoyed the venue, food and most importantly your party.

We appreciate all guest feedback and I have taken on board your comments and ordered some smaller plates for any further parties.

Thank you again for your review and hopefully we will see you and your guests back at the City Gate in the very near future.

Have a lovely day.