“Excellent location!”

The City Gate Hotel
Ranked #19 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Reviewed 8 May 2010

A fantastic location 5 mins walk to the town centre/cathederal. Nice rooms and it's a pub too with a huge beer garden that wa really nice to sit in. Food in the pub was good value and the breakfasts really nice too. Good poached eggs which I aways think is a good sign! Really nice bar staff who were very helpful. It was very busy in the pub, but our room was on the first floor over the restaurant and didn't here much noise at all even though it was a Friday night. Very good value for money.

• Stayed: April 2010

Reviewed 19 April 2010

We had fish and chips in the bar: the fish wasn't fresh, and the chips weren't up to much, either. And a round consisting of a pint of bitter and a brandy and ginger came to nearly £8!! Also, on the evening of our visit, there was a loud youth function going on in the basement: very intrusive.

Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank seventiesicon
Reviewed 31 January 2010

Another good stay at the City Gate. My meeting was cancelled because of the snow but I managed to get plenty of work done as the Wifi is good. Comfortable, clean and friendly service with a good breakfast.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 June 2009

Due to husbands business meeting, we stopped overnight at the City Gate as we have used them before. The staff where helpful and food excellent. Nice that they have started to use crisp white bed linen. As my husband left early for his meeting, I went to breakfast later and although on my own I felt at home as everyone was very helpful to me. We had lunch before leaving for home and the club sandwich that I had was very filling. Would recommend a stop anytime.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 April 2009

The City Gate Hotel was easy to find, a pleasant stay and the staff were all very friendly and approachable. It's really nice to have a pub downstairs where you can get a drink at normal, rather than hotel prices. We stayed over a weekend and had no problems with noise, and we were first floor at the front of the hotel. If you are worried noise might be a problem take ear plugs - but we didn't need them and I am a pretty light sleeper.

The breakfast was fine, but they had run out of a few things on both days and didn't really cater for vegetarians on the fried breakfast front. The room was a good size, the windows open and there is heating and air con. The bathroom was clean. Although we stayed two nights and our room was not made up after the first night - not a major problem but it may be to some people.

The hotel is really close to the center, but didn't appear to be on a main thoroughfare. In Exeter, I would recommend walking the walls you can get a map from the tourist information office through Princess Hay shopping center, near Debenhams. We ate lunch in the pub when we arrived and it was fine, we also had a really good meal at a restaurant called Harrys on Longbrooke Street which I would recommend, but it was busy so you might want to book.

Over all I would recommend this hotel, but with the proviso that it is over a pub and is not a faceless chain so it not all identikit so if that sounds ok to you then it's a good value place to stay. There is also wi-fi in the pub but the reception in the rooms wasn't too good. But if you are looking for silence and high finishes then then it may not be the place for you.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank neekyrabbit
Reviewed 25 March 2009

I chose this hotel when on business in Devon, based on the glowing reviews on Tripadvisor and, to be honest, I've not been very impressed by it.
When I booked over the phone, I was told that although there was no hotel car park, there was an NCP directly opposite that was free between 6pm and 8am, so that suited perfectly. Also, the hotel is very well located, right in the heart of the city. However, my first impression of the hotel was not great - where was reception? I went into the pub to ask, stood next to someone ordering a pint and was told, "it's here"! That aside, the staff were friendly and efficient.
Finding my room up the narrow staircase gave me a sense of lodging with a landlady in the 1940s... When I found the room, it was nicely decorated, but the window had been left open so it was like walking into a freezer! To add to that there was no double-glazing on either of the (road-facing) windows, so plenty of heat loss, no radiators and only a small aircon-heating unit, that took most of the night to get the room to an ambient temperature. The room had only been "surface cleaned", i.e. there was a layer of dust on top of the tv (I was looking for the on/off button!!), and someone's long,curly black hair on the bathroom floor, together with a used towel still hung on the back of the door.
My first night was marred by noise. People leaving the pub below late at night (it was a Monday!), people on motorbikes revving their engines while waiting at the traffic lights right next to the hotel, drunk students crashing into the courtyard gates of the hotel.... That said, the bed was one of the most comfortable I have had the pleasure of sleeping in in a hotel (I stay away from home most weeks on business, so that's some comfortable bed!). Breakfast the next morning did the job.
Overall, this hotel is no way a "hotel from hell", but comparing it to a similar type of hotel that I stayed in the previous week in Boston, Lincolnshire for £20pn less, I didn't feel that I was getting value for money at all. It wasn't particularly comfortable (except the bed!), was cold and noisy and the cleaning was lacking. I won't be going back when I return to Devon in June for business and I won't be recommeding it to colleagues who have to make a similar trip.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
4  Thank roopachoop
Reviewed 21 January 2009

We stayed here for an event that was being held at the pub. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful and the pub is very pleasant, with a roaring fire and the like. The hotel is also very central (the cathedral can't be more than five minutes walk away). The room was perfectly reasonable as well. Breakfast was also very good (standard fried fare as well as cereals). All in all it was a good choice.

The only negative notes would be that there is no lift to the rooms and we had lots of gear as we were travelling with a baby. They also hadn't got a travel cot for us even though we'd asked for one (lots of babies coming to the same event as us!). This could have been a problem as we arrived near midnight, but fortunately we'd brought ours. The reception staff did say that they would try to find one if needed (I've no idea how they would have done so) but we were happy to use our own. Despite this though we were very happy with this place.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family