“Small & Large”

The Devon Hotel
Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 26 April 2013

Rooms to small and to expensive, food good but again to expensive for what you get. You could do a lot better for the money. This hotel is charging premium price for rooms that premier inn can easily beat. We had a family room but when we opened the sofa bed we could not use the dressing table or make a cup of tea. We also had to set the sofa bed ourselves which took a while and find the bedding which in such a small room was not difficult.

Room Tip: Ask for ground floor with access to outside will give you more room
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Terry G
Write a ReviewReviews (1,172)

Reviewed 26 April 2013

Great Hotel
Reception 10/10
Price - great
Location 10/10
Food 10/10
Restaurant Staff - I was given a table, proceeded to get my food and returned to table, which was located next to the waiters working table. Other diners arriving and waiters coming and going.....
When leaving - very quickly and retiring to the bar - I complained about the table. The response astounded me - 'Everyone complains about that table.'
Great room - cold shower at 0600, when I mentioned this on check out 0630, the same attitude - it is early.
Not a user friendly hotel - breakfast does not start until 0730, it seems that the hotel is run for the staff and not the clientele - business users need early breakfasts.

The dinner - food was fantastic, just like mother would serve, great roast beef, Yorkshire pudding and great vegetables. Great chef!

I don't think I will be back, what a pity - the hotels potential is there for the taking, I don't blame the staff - training is required.....

Room Tip: I had room 15 it was excellent
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Richard H
BrendHotels, General Manager at The Devon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2013

Thank you for your review of the Devon Hotel and your kind comments regarding the food in our Restaurant.

Since posting your comments, we have amended the start time for Breakfast to 7am, to suit our clientele who require early departures

With regards to the cold water, we have double checked the timings on the boiler and there does not appear to be any reason as to why the water was cold.

As part of the Brend Group we are continually striving to make improvements, to meet and exceed the expectations of our guests. This is achieved with the assistance of customer feedback.

Therefore thank you for taking the time to bring to our attention your dissatisfaction and I hope that you will allow the hotel in the future to demonstrate the fine service and cuisine with which we are renowned.

Reviewed 9 April 2013

We Called in to Carriages Restaurant at the Devon Hotel for a weekday lunch, decided the Carvery looked nice, so loaded up plate.
Choice of only turkey and beef, had a bit of each. Potatoes very tasty.
Would have had lamb if they had it, but left feeling very full after enjoying the meal.
No queuing for food and friendly chef waiting to serve.
Not the cheapest around, but a nice quiet setting with easy access and parking, and friendly staff.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Martyn77
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Conveniently located this hotel was easy to find. The staff were professional but not friendly. I was quoted £40/night B & B over the telephone, but charged £55 when I came to pay. This is surely abusing a customer. £40 would have been decent value for money, £55 was significantly over-priced. The room was ok, but the shower very small. The water was warm, but had just about enough flow. TV in room, but no clock radio to set alarm, which was given at the correct time on the 2nd morning but never again thereafter.
The restaurant was in another building and the breakfast not good enough for the price. The bacon had no taste & was very salty. The sausage was bland. The coffee was insipid. I would recommend the mushrooms, which although probably straight out of a tin had a good flavour, and all the food was correctly cooked.
I was in Exeter for an annual games convention & next year will NOT be going back to this hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms are on ground floor.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 March 2013

I stayed here for one night as part of a group booking on a friday for an event on the saturday at the nearby Matford Centre. The hotel was easy to find, and I had a ground floor room overlooking the car park - which was super as I am disabled. Dinner that evening was lovely- the starters Prawn cocktail was enormous,followed by a lovely carvery and ice cream for dessert.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 March 2013

Booked this place for Mother's Day as I know my parents like it. The staff were lovely and coped well even though they were very busy.

I know it was a big day for the restaurant trade but I did feel that what we got for seventeen quid per head we did not get great value... The food was limited to carvery only. The meat was fine but the veg was a bland selection of mashed swede, carrots, peas, parsnips and roasties. Not glaze on the parsnips or carrots. Not much variety. As a vegetarian I got a very sweet nut roast, studded with cranberries and smothered in a port sauce. It's a matter of personal taste, I know, but I can't stand sweet food like fruit mixing with savoury food. Even after I had scraped off the sauce it was still overpoweringly sweet and really quite unpleasant. The rosaries, however, were lovely.

I thought we might get to order our desserts off the menu, and was looking forward to this as carriages desserts have always sounded lovely. Instead, they had a staff member serving up cheap cheesecakes and gatteaux. I suspect these were frozen, in any case they weren't especially tasty. It was a shame that on such a cold day we couldn't enjoy a hot dessert. It was at this point I did feel a bit ripped off.

They had coffee pots laid out and our very polite waiter asked if we would like coffee. We made the mistake of thinking this was complimentary - it wasn't and cost us ten quid for 2 pots of coffee!

My mother enjoyed her meal - and liked the orchids they gifted her. However I thought the meal was rubbish considering what we got. The Magdalen Chapter does a freshly cooked Sunday set menu for a similar price, but in far more salubrious surrounding, and to a far better standard. The Devon Hotel has a core clientele of older customers who like what they do so good luck to them. I won't be rushing back though!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 March 2013

It saddens me to have to write a bad review as I felt that there was potential for this hotel to be brilliant, the only thing letting it down was the staff. I was staying here for a business trip and felt from booking to arriving that it looked to be a well organised well presented establishment. Great access from major transport links with an extremely attractive rate fro dinner bed and breakfast. I checked in at the hotel and made my way up to my room, which was lovely and clean and had a warm friendly feel to it. Extremely clean with just enough space for the money spent. With everything surpassing my expectations I made my way downstairs to meet my colleagues for dinner. We opted for the carvery deal which was again fantastic. The quality of the meat was lovely and the staff were both accommodating and friendly, couldn't do more really. After a lovely meal and a couple of drinks I went up to bed. Throughout the night I was feeling a little unwell and didnt get much sleep so was looking forward, after cancelling my morning meeting, to getting some rest until check out at 11am. Well... How wrong I was. I hadn't realised that I had been placed in room 19 which is situated right next to the cleaners station, used to clean and service all the rooms. From around 7am onwards the cleaners were banging around, having a gossip about this and that and shouting and laughing meaning I had no choice than to pop my head out of the door hoping that would prompt them to be quiet. This did not do the trick so an hour later I was forced to ring reception to adk for them to be told to keep it down. This still didnt work so I had to suffer snatched sleep here and there until 11am. My colleague was due to be picking me up at half one as they had gone on to the conference allowing me to recover, so I thought I would make way to the lounge/restaurant area to make use of the free wifi and answer some emails. I sat for nearly 30mins before anyone offered me anything. After asking a member of staff for a glass of water they begrudgingly pushed it on the table. Then what can only be described as two mature ladies with a bee in their bonnett began circling the area pointing out to people that if they werent going to buy anything they would have to leave. Then one approached myself and asked if I was going to be having anything other than the water (which I had due to feeling unwell) and if not that I would be asked to vacate the area even though mysrlf and 8 colleagues had spent an awful lot of money the previous night. She told me the way to avoid this was to buy something every hour, at this I laughed. I had no idea having a glass of water and answering some emails would demand the need for bouncers which is how both myself, and other guests around me felt. I then decided to get some lunch which after being abruptly told by the sour faced waitress 'it has to be over £5' I knew would be a struggle. Overall the hotel has an oppulent look and feel however the staff within the establishment do not live up to those standards. The night staff were completely different to the day time staff which is a shame as they evidently draft in a lesser calibre to cover these times. I noted that the hotel was a great hub for meetings and get togethers and I only fear with the two mature rockweilers on the loose the hotel will see this profitable trade slowly dissappear as although colder and less character, you do not get pushed, pressurised, scrutinised or hovered around in costa or starbucks. I would definately stay in the rooms again amd eat the food again however sadly I feel I may choose to socialise or do business elsewhere for fear of rudeness.

• Stayed: March 2013
BrendHotels, General Manager at The Devon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2013

Dear Guest
I have just read your above review of the hotel and firstly thank you for your kind comments regarding the cleanliness of your room and quality of the food.
The housekeeping staff have been shown your comments regarding the noise and have been reprimanded and the importance of guest comfort has been emphasised.
Present and past guests are always welcome to use the lounge and bar area, please accept my sincere apologies if our staff did not come across friendly.
I hope that you are feeling better and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Devon Hotel in the future.