“Home from home”

The Devon Hotel
Ranked #3 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 5 June 2013

The hotel is east to find and handy to all the road network. It lies on the edge of Exeter with its vibrant city life and tourist attractions. Haldon forest with its forest walks and cycle paths are just a stone throw away.

When driving up to the hotel it is a very impressive sight with its colourful gardens and well manicured lawns. The staff are friendly and nothing

The management have a wealth of experience and are always on hand to give friendly advice or give assistance if required .

If you are visiting Exeter this is the place to stay

The management have a wealth of experience and are always on hand to offer advice or give assistance if needed.

My husband and I found the food delicious and good value for money with a good selection of dishes available.

If you are visiting Exeter this is the place to come

2  Thank Jill H
Write a ReviewReviews (1,224)

Reviewed 4 June 2013

There is certainly something of the old Crossroads Motel about The Devon Hotel whose rooms are unusually arranged on two floors off a single central corridor and externally resemble motel rooms. It is also conveniently located just off a busy roundabout - or crossroads if you will. Beyond that the only resemblance to the wonky TV motel are the thin walls of the rooms because The Devon Hotel is really rather good. It is split into slightly incongruous old and new buildings (well, 1860s and 1960s) which house the restaurant/bar and rooms respectively. The rooms are compact but very comfortable and well appointed with good quality bedding (including a duvet thankfully) and free wifi. My room faced the road and suffered from road noise - if possible get a rear facing room. It also suffered the common hotel problem of being far too hot - not helped by windows with safety restrictors fitted to limit opening. I spent time in the bar area where the food was very good and well priced - breakfast likewise. There is an evening carvery which is cheap and quite good. The bar and restaurant decor is very old fashioned and dark and could really do with a makeover but is clean and well preserved. I was a little put off by the signs in the bar warning me that I had to spend money at the bar every hour or I would be charged £7.50 per hour to use the table. I guess the hotel's location makes it a good place for a meeting - even so there must be better ways to harness this market than these off putting signs. The staff throughout the hotel were unfailingly polite and friendly which can make even a bad hotel a great one. Overall a well priced, good standard and characterful alternative to a Travelodge that is well located and deserves a visit if you need a quick stopover. Just get a rear facing room.

Room Tip: Get a room that doesn't face the road
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 May 2013

We have just returned from seven day break at the Devon Hotel. We have used Brend hotels before and have always been impressed with the cleanliness and attention to detail. The food is always excellent and the staff are very friendly and very willing to make the break as good as possible. The Devon Hotel also came up to Brend's very high standard. The gardens were really beautiful. So many thanks to all staff in every department. We hope to be back.

Susan and Eddie Smith

Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Susan S
BrendHotels, General Manager at The Devon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2013

Thank you very much for your kind comments, we are glad that we are appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Devon Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

My wife and I enjoyed a one night stay at the Devon Hotel and were impressed with the external appearance with beautifully manicured lawns, The standard double room was fairly basic with a rather small en suite down some steps within the room but was all very clean.
The highlight of our stay was dinner. I chose the prawn platter to start and my wife had the waldorf salad. Then we selected from the carvery with my wife choosing turkey while I picked beef. The portion sizes were generous and there was an excellent selection of fresh vegetables including cauliflower, roast parsnips, red cabbage, mashed swede, peas, new potatoes and roast potatoes.
Finally, we enjoyed a calorific gateau dessert, all washed down with a bottle of pinot grigio. Overall, a lovely meal with prompt but not overbearing service.
Breakfast the following morning was the usual buffet full english , which was also enjoyable.

Room Tip: Anyone with mobility problems should request a ground floor room -no lift and our room had stairs to...
2  Thank Eddie L
Reviewed 27 May 2013

I had been on a study course all day and stayed the night at The Devon Hotel and I could not fault it really. The room was clean, comfortable and had a plentiful supply of tea and coffee and biscuits etc, much needed refreshment after a hard day's work. I was delighted to see a really clean, modern and well functioning walk in shower. The television was easy to use. The wardrobe area was sufficient as was the drawers etc. The bed was comfortable too with plenty of bedlinen too. I had an evening meal in the main bar area and was not made to feel like `Billy no mates' and my experience at breakfast was enhanced by very welcoming and professional staff who were a joy to enounter. The staff from and around the reception area were very good, good eye contact and I felt truly listened to

Room Tip: Choose a room that looks out over the fields behind the hotel, though there are electricity pylons i...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank KatefromChard
Reviewed 23 May 2013

I booked this hotel for a business trip as it was convienietly located and the deal included breakfast and an evening meal. I expected a basic motel, and this is what it looked like from the outside. But what a surprise! The room was very small but functional, comfortable and, facing away from the road, very quiet. The bathroom was gleaming. The roast dinner was excellent. The staff were courteous and helpful. And the free wifi was a nice surprise; many hotels charge for it.

Very good value for money.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Polkadotdot
Reviewed 17 May 2013

There are several sets of steps to negotiate to get from rooms to restaurant and also steps IN THE ROOM ! Poor location due to being on very busy road.
We booked a double room with dinner & breakfast for 2 for £120. Good food and large portions. Alcohol average price for hotel. Reception staff very friendly & helpful as were restaurant staff, however, like another reviewer we had the table next to the waiter station ... This table should be removed from the restaurant - I'm not interested in the staff's problem or their conversations.
When I made the reservation I was not informed there was a wedding party whilst we were there and neither was I asked if I had any mobility issues...I don't have mobility issues but if we did we would have had real problems due to all the steps already mentioned.
This web site shows the nice (old) part of the hotel ... It doesn't show the rooms which open directly onto the car park that look like Butlins Chalets !!
Would I go there again ? Probably not unless I got a really good deal.