“Terrific”

The Devon Hotel
Ranked #3 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Immaculately clean, freshly painted, seriously comfy beds, friendly smiling staff, delicious breakfast - a real find, and we'll be back. Only slight niggle is that nobody mentioned it's on a roundabout, but thie thick curtains and double glazing limit the damage. Give it a go - you won't be sorry.

Room Tip: Facing the back.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Polly I
There are newer reviews for The Devon Hotel

Reviewed 14 September 2013

I stayed overnight as I was working in the area - I booked the hotel for a few of the team and we were all pleased with the rooms and quality of the food. The staff were helpful throughout and really pleasant and welcoming.

A colleague and I ate in the bar, while others used the restaurant. The food was excellent. Breakfast was very good with a nice selection.

The rooms were clean, although I was pleased I brought my own toiletries. The bedroom was upstairs, and the bathroom was a bit on the snug side - but very clean - so was OK. As I was upstairs and therefore the window overlooked the garden at the back of the hotel I didn't get any noise from traffic

I'd stay here again if I was in the area - or even just pop in for a meal

Room Tip: If you are not keen on traffic noise ask for a room overlooking the back of the hotel
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 September 2013

The stand out feature at the Devon Hotel is the noticeably friendly, efficient and well trained staff. Something very endearing about the atmosphere they create.

The compact rooms appear to have been recently refurbished to a high standard. The gardens are cared for, befitting the Devon riviera, rather than an Exeter ring road. The front door was being repainted and this all indicated a well managed hotel with owners who maintain and care about quality standards.

Food was good and plentiful. A good place for a carvery which I think is on every evening, or table d'hôte as you prefer.

Cons are road noise and the noise insulation between rooms is not perfect but tolerable. The tv remote was a pain and channels stored in random order with no way of seeing what was on - a personal bugbear.

A pleasant stay for a night or two or work trips. I'm often happy with a Premier Inn but the bar and restaurant would bring me back here. I suspect they run a good event given the quality of staff, food and building care.

Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank DominicPearson
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Nice comfortable 'compact and bijou' room; vey clean and everything in working order. Excellent breakfast and dinner with friendly service. This is not my first visit to the Devon Hotel and it certainly will not be my last.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Alan F
Reviewed 9 September 2013

OK, the 'restaurant' kind of has the look of the interior of a chain pub, bog standard pub decor. The food was ok, frozen peas and frozen chips with my steak, the steak, a pice of fillet was ok though and cooked rare the way i like it. During the course of my meal, a waiter came over, and in the process of clearing the next table, he deposited city glasses onto our table so he could wipe down the table he was clearing. I did ask him what on earth he thought he was doing, and to remove them immediately.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
BrendHotels, General Manager at The Devon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our restaurant. I will speak to our waiters and re-train where applicable.
I would just say our decor is far from bog standard. Other viewers can check the photo gallery on our website to view the true quality of the hotel.

Reviewed 5 September 2013

We booked two rooms here day before we stayed on booking.com got really good deal £60 per room. The rooms were really great for the money, best of all they were super clean, the bathrooms were great the water was hot and pressure great. We had a room by the road, our son had Room upstairs our room was really warm but put fan on and kept us cool and made a background noise so we did not really hear cars. We did not eat here but did go to bar ( overpriced ) and food looked good. Would we stay again YES! Thank you Devon Hotel for lovely clean stay! :-)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank den-rick71
Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

If you are ever in the area you must visit this hotel. The hotel is situated just off the road and is easy to get to from all road networks. It's gardens and appearance are immaculate and once inside it doesn't disappoint. The staff are smart, friendly amd attentive. They offer a wide selection of food for breakfast including fresh fruit traditional and continental breakfasts. The food was very tasty and hot and there was plenty of it. During the week they offer a special dish and this week it was seafood lasagne which comes highly recommended. After a hard day at work if you fancy a relaxing night out this is the place to come!

• Stayed: August 2013