“Apalling at every level”
Review of The Devon Hotel

The Devon Hotel
Ranked #6 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
GreenLeadersBronze level
UK
“Apalling at every level”
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We were transferred here by The Exeter Hotel in August 2013. The reception staff were cold and unwelcoming. They told us on arrival that they were not expecting our 3 year old son, in front of him and made him feel very unwelcome after a six hour journey.

Our room was dark and old fashioned aka The Shining in decor. The noise of the dual carriageway is constant as it is about two metres away. There was no fan facility in the midst of a heatwave and windows had to be left open all night. A slamming main door beneath our bed reverberated the entire night, the shower dribbled - no water pressure and the toilet took repeat flushes to clear.

When I complained in the morning, after no sleep, the Duty Manager was defensive and unwilling to acknowledge both their poor staff reception and accommodation. I pursued the complaint by email requesting a refund. I was advised that the hotel had given us a bed for the night. I would have been delighted if I had been offered unreserved apology and some for of reimbursement as it would have restored some faith in their hospitality.

Unsatisfied, I pursued the complaint further with the Managing Director - he advised that I pursue a refund from The Exeter Hotel, even though we did not stay there. I have replied again to Mr Sands requesting a refund for an unsatisfactory stay and have not even had the courtesy of an acknowledgement. To say I am disgusted is an understatement. Unpleasant at every level, from the moment we arrived right through to the biased complaints process.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Ray S
BrendHotels, Director at The Devon Hotel, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
We take everybody’s complaint seriously at The Devon Hotel and try to ensure that we make everybody’s stay welcoming and comfortable, with the high quality of service, as confirmed by other reviews of the Hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Spent two nights at this well run hotel (26/27 Sept) where my wife and I were made very welcome by extremely pleasant and helpful Reception staff. Our allocated room was spotlessly clean, modern and very comfortable and clearly prepared to a high standard. We were equally welcomed in the Bar and excellent Restaurant where we found a very comprehensive menu and food prepared and presented to a high standard. With the restaurant being clearly popular and pretty full on both evenings there did seem to be a shortage of staff for the numbers involved and on several occasions waitresses were wandering from table to table with hot meals clearly unaware of who the meals were for. Some meals must have been cold after having been "paraded" around the Bar and through the large Restaurant before finally arriving at their destination. Clearly a lack of supervision here!!
Nevertheless, I would certainly recommend this hotel as a good place to stay and feel that a special mention must be made for the Reception staff for whom nothing was too much trouble and certainly made all comers very welcome...well done to them !! We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank GeorgioGloucester
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2013

We have stayed here many times each visit is better than the last. The bathrooms have been updated this time. The efficiency of the staff ensures the running of the hotel and restaurant is like a well oiled machine. The rooms are modern and clean. The food in the restaurant is well presented and very tasty. The management here gave certainly got it right. Full marks. Would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Birdie50
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Stayed for 2 night with a group of friends. the hotel was very well presented the rooms were very clean and modern. The food was excellent and there was a really nice atmosphere. All the staff were really friendly. Great place to stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank WILF73
Cornwall
Reviewed 28 September 2013

We stayed here three nights, on their Autumn special deal, and really thought it was very good value, the food in restaurant was delicious, so tasty and well presented.
The room was a superior, with everything you could need, but just a little small, as was the bathroom, still with coloured suite, but all spotless and functioned well. Very friendly cleaners, reception workers and, excellent waiting staff, all go out of their way to help you, only wished we lived nearer and would go regularly for their delicious meals. Thank you everyone for a great stay!!

Room Tip: Try get room at back, as lots of traffic noise.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lizzytish013
Lincoln, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Immaculately clean, freshly painted, seriously comfy beds, friendly smiling staff, delicious breakfast - a real find, and we'll be back. Only slight niggle is that nobody mentioned it's on a roundabout, but thie thick curtains and double glazing limit the damage. Give it a go - you won't be sorry.

Room Tip: Facing the back.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Polly I
Swindon, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 September 2013

I stayed overnight as I was working in the area - I booked the hotel for a few of the team and we were all pleased with the rooms and quality of the food. The staff were helpful throughout and really pleasant and welcoming.

A colleague and I ate in the bar, while others used the restaurant. The food was excellent. Breakfast was very good with a nice selection.

The rooms were clean, although I was pleased I brought my own toiletries. The bedroom was upstairs, and the bathroom was a bit on the snug side - but very clean - so was OK. As I was upstairs and therefore the window overlooked the garden at the back of the hotel I didn't get any noise from traffic

I'd stay here again if I was in the area - or even just pop in for a meal

Room Tip: If you are not keen on traffic noise ask for a room overlooking the back of the hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business