“Excellent”

The Devon Hotel
Ranked #3 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 29 April 2014

First class in every way. Good service, with a clean and spotless restaurant.
An excellent privately run Hotel chain here in Devon. Highly recommend the Sunday carvery.
The gardens and grounds are simply beautiful and well cared for.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
BrendHotels, Manager at The Devon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2014

Thank you for your review. I am delighted that you had such a great experience with us. I look forward to seeing you soon. Kind regards. Ross Hamilton. Hotel Manager

There are newer reviews for The Devon Hotel

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Have stayed here many times over last few years, for social functions. No complaints, it is a great place to stay, especially as in my case has single rooms of good standard and value for money. All very well kept and maintained to the standard of this chain of hotels in the west country. Food and service excellent, especially breakfast buffet! Location on Exeter ring road is convenient for both town and country, walk to canal towpath only short way up road. Would recommend it to anyone, and will certainly be returning myself.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
BrendHotels, Manager at The Devon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am very happy to hear that your meal and service excellent, and that your stay was up to the high standard that we endeavour to maintain. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

My wife and I stayed here from Friday 25th to Sunday 27th April 14 for our 29th wedding anniversary.
On arrival we were greeted by the staff with smiles and seemed happy in their work, we checked in very quick and were advised of our room.
having read comments on here about the traffic noise we were surprised that although there is traffic going pass the hotel the noise was not a problem and that was sleeping with the windows open.
The room was clean and seemed freshly painted and was well equipped, only one problem and that was someone had opened one of the packs of biscuits and eaten one and left the pack in the box along with the coffee.
Good bathroom with a very nice shower with loads of hot water.
We had dinner and breakfast and loved all the meals the staff are some of the best we have found in the number of hotels we have stayed in.
We are looking forward to returning to Devon and will stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for visiting the hotel for your 29th wedding anniversary. I am delighted that you had an excellent weekend and that we lived up to your expectations. Thank you for you kind words about the staff, we put a lot of hard work in to our staff training, so I am very happy that you found them all to be excellent.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel, hopefully before your next anniversary.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

I attended a reunion dinner at the Devon Hotel over Easter 2014. I had booked in advance and the checking in process was handled efficiently by polite and courteous staff. My room was excellently appointed, the ensuite bathroom could have been larger but could not have been cleaner.
The reunion went well and the food was superb as was the breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Geoff H

Thank you for your review, I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you reunion went well. I look forward to welcoming you back for the next reunion.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

I stayed here as I was speaking at a meeting at the same venue that evening. The place is split over two sites - one has the bedrooms and reception, the other is the restaurant, bar and meeting rooms. I wish I could review them separately, as I have to say that I found the actual overnight stay to be below my expectations whereas my experience in the meeting room, bar and restaurant was excellent. I wasn't made to feel particularly welcome in the bedroom reception area and smiles were in short supply each time I passed by. I had tried to book directly but the price quoted was higher, even though I had quoted the booking.com price for them to match. I booked a single room which reminded me of student accommodation as it was tiny with a single bed; however, unlike in a student bedroom the internet didn't work... Moral here is to book a double at this hotel - other hotels often do single occupancy in a small double room (or even give you a proper double room) and maybe I thought that as I had mentioned that we had a meeting room booked with food etc I might get lucky. My fault. I had a single bed and my night was disturbed by intermittent loud tapping noises which, when I told my husband about them, led him to suggest that they could be 'death watch beetle mating rituals' - pretty sure he was joking! I think it was just cracking noises from the heating but it was at 4.30am and the noise was loud enough to wake me up. The shower was one I virtually had to run around under to get wet and it took until half way through my shower for the water to get warm; the bath, over bath shower and WC were in the bathroom with the basin in the bedroom. On the plus side the room was very clean and warm. The meeting room in the other venue was lovely, the staff couldn't do enough for us and the bar staff afterwards were very friendly. Similarly, the breakfast staff were really nice, very attentive and pleasant and the food was delicious. The ambience of the two places was very different in my experience. So 5 stars if you are going to eat and/or meet but closer to 2 if you're planning to stay overnight, unless you take my advice and go for a bigger, better room even if you are travelling alone.

Room Tip: Don't book a single unless it is for a child.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank mrsbeebee
BrendHotels, General Manager at The Devon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Thank you for taking the imte t post a review of our hotel. I am pleased that you found some aspects of your stay enjoyabl. I am happy to inform you that the hotel directors intend to invest greatly in the accommodation for our residents.

Simon Parkhouse

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Room was great, very clean and had everything you needed in it............staff were very friendly and helpful.................food was fabulous .............carvery and breakfast awesome...........will be back again soon :-)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
BrendHotels, Manager at The Devon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am happy that you had such a lovely time with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Perfect carvery lunch & sweet for Easter Sunday with family. Very good attentive service (even though exceptionally busy), relaxed atmosphere & great lunch. 3 choices of meat, yorkshires & 6-8 choices of veg - fresh & tasty. Followed by a choice of 8 or so sweets. Lovely family lunch. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
BrendHotels, Manager at The Devon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Thank you for visiting Carriages Restaurant for your Easter Sunday lunch I am delighted that you had such a great experience. Don’t forget to apply for your loyalty card to redeem rewards for visiting us.