“Staff excellent, rooms not so much.”
Review of The Devon Hotel

The Devon Hotel
Ranked #6 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
GreenLeadersBronze level
St. Dogmaels, United Kingdom
“Staff excellent, rooms not so much.”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights whilst attending a family wedding reception within the hotel. We arrived quite late on the Friday evening, checked in and found our room. As we were paying £85 per night ( discounted wedding rate ) we were quite disappointed with the size of the room, although in all fairness it was clean and well furnished.
We went for a drink in the bar area, which was lovely, again very nicely decorated, drinks fairly priced and staff extremely helpful and friendly, particularly Lloyd and Jase (assuming short for Jason?! )
Returned to our room, and considering it was in a chalet style building, found it extremely hot considering it was windy and raining outside, and had no heating switched on inside, this stifling heat only added to the terrible nights sleep we were in for due to the extreme softness of the bed, I've slept on firmer water beds!!!
The following morning we found a small electric fan in the bottom of the wardrobe, however this was next to useless against the unbearable heat, and I cant imagine how uncomfortable this place would be on a hot summer night. We had the windows open all night, but due to the ground floor location had to choose whether to close the lovely thick curtains to keep our privacy but block out any cold, fresh air, or keep the curtains open but have every tom, dick and harry walking through the car park able to see into our room. On that note, there is also a lot of noise from the busy road out front, but obviously there is not a lot the hotel can do about that!
The breakfast buffet was lovely, although the continental side could use some additional choices, (only orange juice available first morning, no pastries, yoghurt bowls but no dried fruits/granola etc)
On the Saturday afternoon we returned to the hotel for the wedding breakfast, personally I found it odd that the welcome drinks were held in the bar area in amongst non wedding guests but that's probably just my personal preference, once we moved upstairs to the function suite, I could not fault the professionalism of the staff. The food was excellent, and none of the guests on our table had a bad thing to say about it, there was also plenty of it. I certainly enjoyed the evening entertainment and would definitely return for another function here.
Slept slightly better the second night, but put that down to the copious amounts of alcohol consumed rather than the bed being any firmer!
I would not rush back to book this hotel, only due to the uncomfortable nights we had, however, if they installed air conditioning and upgraded the beds to something a little firmer, I absolutely wouldn't hesitate.
Personally I feel the hotel prices reflect the quality of the restaurant facilities rather than the quality of the rooms, and sadly although clean, they were only adequate rather than exceptional, and at £90+ a night, I had higher expectations.

Room Tip: Get a second floor room so you can keep the curtains open and allow some air in the room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
BrendHotels, General Manager at The Devon Hotel, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time you review your stay at our hotel. I was happy to read that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay with us. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your first nights stay with us, and wished you had brought this to our attention at the time so that we could have offered you an alternative room, and rectified the problems. The Director’s of Brend Hotels are intending to invest heavily in our accommodation.
We put a lot of effort into staff training so it is always lovely to hear such praise of them, thank you. I hope you would choose to visit us again.

Mr Simon Parkhouse

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

My wife and i came here for a Sunday carvery. The prices are £10 for just carvery for adults or about £13 with dessert. The restaurant is very well kept throughout with nice clean decorations. It is a large restaurant so even without a booking we were able to get a table in the bar area at 1pm. Food quality was very good with an excellent portion of lovely tasting meat (I had the beef). Dessert was also very nice. If you are driving to a Sunday roast in Exeter I recommend here. I'm looking forward to trying their normal menu on another evening.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank tom p
BrendHotels, Manager at The Devon Hotel, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Thank you for reviewing your restaurant experience. I am thrilled to hear that you had such an enjoyable Sunday Lunch with us. Don’t forget to apply for a dining reward card next time you visit us, this will enable you to collect stamps and redeem rewards for your loyalty.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

My wife and I stayed here for a weekend break and had a very nice time. The staff were all very helpful, friendly and attentive. Also the food was very good and the rooms were clean and tidy. Good value for money. We'll definitely visit again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
BrendHotels, Manager at The Devon Hotel, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Thank you for your excellent review of our hotel, I am delighted to hear you had such a wonderful time with us and that the staff looked after you very well. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Bridport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Nice room, spotlessly clean, and well looked after. Everything you need for a break in Devon at a central location. Good food and friendly and helpful staff throughout. Would certainly recommend and visit again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

BrendHotels, Manager at The Devon Hotel, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Thank you for rating you stay with us. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope that you will return to us next time you are visiting Exeter.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I stayed a night at Devon Hotel while on a seminar at Exeter. I enjoyed a personalised service and the staff were courteous and very polite. I was treated like a King.
I surely recommend the hotel to anyone who is within the area for any occasion.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

BrendHotels, Manager at The Devon Hotel, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, I am thrilled by your comments. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Exmouth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I attended a function at this hotel so chose to get a room too. The food was really nice with good portions and the service was very good. The rooms were clean with a nice bathroom. My only niggles were the room being just that little bit too small as difficult to store luggage so it tended to get in the way and that the rooms were a tad on the warm side without the heating on. We did open the window a little but reluctant to open further due to facing a nearby busy road.

• Stayed May 2014
BrendHotels, Manager at The Devon Hotel, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the meal you had at the function we hosted. I am sorry that you did not enjoy all aspects of your stay. I do hope you will chose to stay with us again.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Staff at the Devon Hotel paid attention to a comment on my booking form about a dietary requirement. They telephoned me to discuss what I could eat for my evening meal and delivered an amazing meal. The service was personalised and staff were genuinely interested in my requirement and had been researching it online.

The room wasn't large but was well appointed and had everything I needed. The bathroom was a good size and was great. The bed was sooooooo comfortable.

Room Tip: I was in a ground floor room overlooking the car park.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
BrendHotels, Manager at The Devon Hotel, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us, I am delighted that the staff made you feel welcome and attended to your needs. I hope that you will chose to stay with us again next time you visit Exeter.

Hotel Manager

To keep up to date with all that is happening here at The Devon Hotel you can follow us on twitter @The_Devon_Hotel, like us on Facebok.com/devonhotel or visit our website.