“Very Enjoyable Stay”

The Devon Hotel
Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Recently stayed at The Devon Hotel for one night , staff are all excellent very helpful .
We had a lovely room at the front of the Hotel . ( If traffic noise bothers you have a room at the back of the hotel ) the room was spotless and very comfortable.
The food in the Brasserie is amazing as is the service we had Both dinner and breakfast and highly recommend.

Room Tip: Room at the back if traffic noise bothers you.
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
BrendHotels, Manager at The Devon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you for your review and your lovely comments. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We put a lot of time and effort into our staff training, so it always makes me happy to hear such praise of them .
I hope you will chose to visit us again, when you are next in Exeter.

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,172)

Reviewed 2 July 2014

My mother and I stayed for three night s and found our visit a very pleasant experience. The reception staff were so kind and friendly nothing was too much trouble. Our room was very comfortable, clean and up to the excellent standard of Brend Hotel group. The Carriage Restaurant was very pleasant and we had a good choice of menu and every meal was delicious served by charming happy people. I will certainly reccomend this hotel to my friends. Thank you for making our stay so perfect.

Room Tip: We were at the back of the hotel and it was very quiet
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you had such a wonderful stay with us. It was a pleasure to meet you both. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Think 3 steps down to bathroom from bedroom a bit much for pensioners. I have only just had a heart bypass too. Should have asked for another room but we were only staying one night.

Found the steps dangerous at night.

The food was good service could have been friendlier.
The carpet in reception and up stairs had same mess on it at 5 pm on arrival as 11am on departure next day. The bath towel would only just go round my husband's waist and he is slim no chance for me then as we ladies wrap them around our chests!

Room Tip: Ask for one on one floor to avoid stairs to loo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for sharing your views of the hotel. I have taken on board the comments you have made. Unfortunately we do have steps in some of our rooms that are inherent of the building.
We will be starting work on building 20 new executive rooms (without steps) within the month.
Thank you for bringing the towel size to our attention, we will be changing our towels to bath sheets within the next couple of weeks.
I hope you will return so see the changes to the hotel.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Excellent accommodation and food. Charming and helpful staff. The only thing I would suggest is that they provide larger bath towels. We will definitely stay there again. The location was great. Most enjoyable.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you had a lovely stay.
Thank you for bringing the size of the towels to our attention, we will be changing our current towels to bath sheets within the next few weeks.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you next visit Exeter.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Stayed for a friends wedding - 2 nights. Having read the reviews on arrival I asked to see the room before I paid and although this is probably not a usual request the reception staff were happy to do this and let me have the room key.

The room and bathroom were clean and had the usual amenities and the bed was comfortable. There wasn't much noise from the road even though we had our window slightly open and noise from other rooms - I didn't notice any and the hotel was fully booked. The actual Hotel was next door and the bar area was well used and welcoming with a fair range of meals available.

On a par with a Premier Inn hence good value for money.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank your review. I am glad to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us.
I hope that you would chose to stay with us again, when next in Exeter.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

We have stayed quite a few times at this hotel as we have friends who live close by. The staff are very friendly and helpful, wifi good, breakfast amazing.

The only gripe that we had this time is that when we entered the room on the ground floor, there was a really very strong smell of air freshener, we had to open both the doors to try and get rid of the smell, we then found out that there was a plug in air freshener in the bedroom. As both my husband and I have asthma, I was worried that we would have to move rooms, but after leaving the doors open for 1/2 an hour and putting the offending article outside the smell dispersed. But why would a hotel have to use this sort of thing? Unless someone had been smoking in the room ! !!! Apart from that we had a nice one night stay as we were enroute to Torquay. I just wish that they would have twin beds in some of the down stairs rooms.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am sorry to hear that the air freshener in the room was overbearing. It is something that we use from time to time to eliminate smokey odors (even if a guest hasn't directly smoked in the room).
We are proud to be starting work within the month on a new 20 bedroom extension of the hotel. It will have very flexible ground floor accommodation. I hope you will return to see the fruits of our labor.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

Booked the Regency room for tea after my father's funeral in Exeter. Room was lovely, well laid out and beautiful flowers of the table. The sandwiches and cakes were fresh and light, just what we needed. Only improvement would be on the serving of the tea and coffee which we were all desperate for.Only one poor waiter serving for 60 odd people so long queues and the milk and tea kept running out. I appreciate that there were more people than the 50 we had booked for but an extra member of staff would have made such a difference.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for using the hotel to host your post funeral gathering. It is something we take great care of, knowing that it is such a personal event.
I am delighted to hear that the room was to your expectations and you enjoyed the afternoon tea we laid on.
I have spoken with the member of staff that served your tea and coffee and passed on your disappointment that he hadn't asked for assistance from another member of staff knowing that you had been left queuing.