“august stay”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
“august stay”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Comfortable, clean rooms with a v comfortable bed. spacious bathroom. good food in restaurant., both at dinner with the carvery and for breakfast - althouh the range of choices coud have been more. terrible coffee

Room Tip: griund floor chalet type super
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

BrendHotels, Manager at The Devon Hotel, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, I am glad to hear that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay with us. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.
We have several different coffees that we would be happy to offer you.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
Marton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The room was a little on the small side but had everything that was needed. the shower was a nice size, everything was nice and clean, apart from some building work going on next door to our room all was perfect, we stayed for 4 nights and will definitely stop again. if the weather is on your side its a lovely walk into the City centre following the River but its a fair way. there is a park and ride 2 minutes away or 5 minutes to walk to.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us, I am thrilled to hear that you had an enjoyable time, taking in all the area has to offer.
We are delighted to have started work on a new 20 bedroom extension of the hotel that will offer a gym, fully air conditioned rooms and all the little extras you would expect from Brend Hotels.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Wolverhampton
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I had a pleasant stay here in July after attending a graduation ceremony. My room was a good size, as was the bathroom (but not the shower cubicle) and the bed was soft and very comfortable. The room, and in fact every other part of the hotel that I saw, was spotlessly clean and breakfast in the morning was very nice, generous (buffet-style) and at a good time.
Summer had arrived and so unfortunately, my room was very hot and - presumably for safety reasons - the window would barely open. There was a fan, but moving warm air around doesn't help too much. I hate to hold rare sunny weather against the hotel, though.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
BrendHotels, Manager at The Devon Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us. It was a very busy week and it was lovely to chat with all the friends and family of the graduates. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay.
Due to the recent and somewhat sudden very hot weather we have started to install air conditioning units in every room.
I hope you will chose to stay with us again, next time you are visiting the area.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

While the exterior of this hotel looks impressive & inviting, I found the rooms very disappointing. They are on the small side and if two are sharing it gets very cosy. Also as there is no Air Conditioning and the windows only opening a few inches, in the summer heat the room became very stifling with only a fan placed on the floor to keep it cool. Although this hotel offers Wi-Fi the range is very poor and for the weekend I stayed there I never once managed to log onto it. Also There were not enough plug sockets or they are in the wrong place, You could not use a hairdryer in front of a mirror as the socket was too far away from the mirror, furthermore, if you need extra sockets for personal medical equipment, you have to unplug something else to use the socket.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your views of the hotel. Having read through your review we have taken action on some of the points you mentioned. Due to the recent very hot weather and comments from our guests we have started installing air conditioning in the rooms most affected. We have also removed all safety locks on the windows to allow them to be opened fully. I have personally been in every room to check the strength of the Wifi signal. Although I did not find any significant dead spots, we are looking to improve the width of our band so that during busy times where there is very high demand there is significant coverage.
We are happy to have started work on 20 new executive rooms that will offer state of the art technologies along with all the little luxuries you would expect from Brend Hotels.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Exeter
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Loved Devon Hotel but drinks are too expensive and you should be able to have your inclusive breakfast up to 11 am as 9:30 is too early.. After all you are paying good money for a room so this isn't too much to ask.

• Stayed August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. It is always nice to hear where guests feel we can improve. As a direct result of your review we will be serving breakfast until 10.00am instead of 9.30am every day.
To maintain the high standards of cleanliness, the restaurant has a very thorough cleaning schedule which requires a substantial period of time to be completed before lunch service starts at 11.45am.
Should guests require a later breakfast we are happy to offer a continental selection.

I look forward to offering you a warm welcome, next time you are in Exeter.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

This really is a very good value hotel, very high standards of accommodation, Spotless rooms
although the steps to the bathroom can feel a hazard at night,and the bathrooms are small.[ larger quests may find it uncomfortable]
Food really good and choice also good. A motel rather than a hotel but the best I have ever visited.New delux air conditioned rooms should be ready next spring and will be something to try.
Staff friendly who aim to please very much like the other Brent hotels.
Great place to explore south Devon and easy access to the city center.
Outside area dressed with fabulous flowers and loads of parking.

Room Tip: Double glazing works well so no problem of traffic noise.All rooms to the same layout and standard...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us, I am thrilled to hear that you had a lovely time and really enjoyed the restaurant.
I look forward to being able to show around the new rooms and gym upon completion.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

I only stayed for one night in a single room.

I found the decor of the room and the facilities acceptable. No facilities to make coffee or tea was a surprise. I was promised sky sports on the tv - but could not find it. The wifi that was promised (and was free, big plus) but was, as is typical of many hotels I have stayed in, was so slow, that my tablet and phone were not able to connect with it. If you are offering wifi, then the connection speeds need to allow tablets and phones to connect - very disappointing.

I know it is common in hotel rooms, but a bathroom without a window is annoying, as the heat and humidity from the bathroom comes into the room.

I stayed during a particularly hot spell - the window to the room only opened about 2 inches. The room was unbearably hot, and I was forced to sleep on top of the bed all night.

The bed was far too soft..

There is definitely a need for air conditioning, or at the very least a fan in these rooms.

The brasseries was very good, although breakfast (which required an additional payment (whatever happened to bed and breakfast?), was typical of large hotel chains - dry and over-cooked. Why can't chefs produce freshly cooked eggs? instead of cooking dozens of them on a tray, so that when they are cut apart they are all triangular - all types of eggs, poached, scrambled, fried, should be cooked to order - breakfast was a disappointing let-down

The staff were excellent, friendly and very helpful.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo

1 Thank Russ C
Thank you for your views of the hotel. Due to the recent very hot weather and comments from our guests we have started installing air conditioning in the rooms most affected. We have also removed all safety locks on the windows to allow them to be opened fully. I have personally been in every room to check the strength of the Wifi signal. Although I did not find any significant dead spots, we are looking to improve the width of our band so that during busy times where there is very high demand there is significant coverage.
Sky Sports is offered in all of our rooms, but I do admit it can be difficult to find, and the channels have a tendency to delete themselves. I am currently awaiting a site survey from Sky, before we commit to a new system. I am sorry to hear that breakfast did not meet with your approval, we ususaly receive very posstive reviews of it.

I am glad to hear that you found the staff friendly and helpful, we put and lot of time and effort into staff training, so it is always lovely to here high praise of them.