“Comfortable option on outskirts of city”
Review of The Devon Hotel

The Devon Hotel
Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
GreenLeadersBronze level
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
“Comfortable option on outskirts of city”
Reviewed 19 July 2010

I stayed here for a recent wedding and found the hotel conveniently located for the motorway, city centre and the coast. It is, however, by a main road.

Our twin room was clean, but rather small and it quickly became warm in the night. As with the bar and restaurant, the decor was fairly dated through out.

The service was friendly and efficient, and the included breakfast offered excellent quality and choice.

For the price we paid, it was fine for a one-night stopover.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2010

We stayed here the night before my son's graduation. It wasn't our first visit to Exeter but you always find the best on probably our last trip here. The rooms are not big but as you only use them to lie down to sleep and not to dance it doesn't matter. We had a room at the back and had no difficulty in sleeping.
We took advantage of their £110 deal which included B&B plus an evening meal for both myself and wife. We ate in the restaurant and had the menu appropriate to the deal. However, there was an a la carte service if you wanted it with a £15.50 pp reduction if that was your choice. We stayed with the normal menu and had a really good three course meal. The food was excellent both dinner and breakfast and the service was fast and efficient. After dinner we relaxed in the bar in nice surroundings and had several drinks before retiring.
Overall Its the best value for money that I've found in and arround Exeter.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lynda3491
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2010

Booked in for one night. Great Reception. Friendly Staff. Easy access to room on first floor. Amazing room (no 9) clean, fresh and well equipped.
Bed was comfortable and most of all the pillows were substantial and didnt feel like they were stuffed with lumpy old socks. Bed linen was luxurious and in all a great night sleep was acheived. A little traffic noise, but nothing too obtrusive.

Shower was great and ample towels provided.

My only complaint was I didnt get to spend enough time there!!!

Thank you Devon Hotel... I am coming back with my partner to fully enjoy the experience..

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
Notts
Reviewed 17 May 2010

Having read previous reviews we were a little apprehensive about our stay, but as we needed very good car park access and close proximity to the M5 (we were towing a boat) this ticked enough boxes to book. It turned out to be a very pleasant evening. Yes the hotel is a former motel with the restaurant annexed, but the rooms were well appointed, modern and spotlessly clean. The restaurant / bar was very popular for a Sunday evening so a nice atmosphere, the food was excellent, staff very friendly and helpful and it was all extremely good value. We will definitely use this hotel again when necessary and would recommend it, not for a holiday probably but certainly a very good place to stay the night.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
Hertfordshire
Reviewed 13 May 2010

The room was small, but clean and comfortable. The bedroom block is a former motel whereas the adjoining restaurant and bars are in a very pretty building. The staff were first class, and the food good. Its on a main road but noise wasn't a problem. Its a long walk into Exeter but there's a Park-and-Ride into the city centre nearby. It was very good value for Dinner,Bed and Breakfast.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
bedford
Reviewed 16 March 2010

My partner and myself have just returned home after a fantastic break at The Devon Hotel. After visiting many Brend Hotels we were looking forward to Brend standards, and they didn't let us down.
After reading all the reviews about the Devon my feelings were very mixed and i was expecting the motel style accommodation, but once we had arrived the gardens are beautiful and it is clear to see that Brend Hotels have made the most of what once was a motel.
Check in was very pleasent and friendly, and the receptionist was very helpful in recomending local attractions.
You do have to walk outside under a covered walkway to reach the restuarant , but it is a very short distance. Dinner on both nights was excellent and so was breakfast. Staff very friendly and chatty.
Exeter is a lovely place and i would recomend the Devon as a good base for links to all major roads.
The accommodation was very clean, would recomend the ground floor rooms as they have bigger bathrooms.
All in all a great little find. We be re-visiting in the future.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
vale of glamorgan
Reviewed 3 March 2010

Looking for a short last minute getaway - thought about my previous experiences with Brend Hotels - always a cut above the others - on this occasion Exeter was my choice of venue, having not stayed there before - well I didn't think I had - but when I pulled in to the hotel I had de ja uv - I recognised the site and the building immediately - in a previous life it must have been and Econolodge or a Motel 6. It was not as I had expected from Brend - but saying that everything else was as I have come to expect from the Brend organisation.
There were one or two problems with dinner and breakfast but not enough to complain about - having said that there was no need to complain - the problems had been reported by a member of staff to management - the charming member of the management team who sat with us at breakfast to apologise was enough compensation.
Apart from location and the 60/70's appearance, I could not fault the hotel and staff . The website is misleading - it gives you the impression it is in the middle of the country - not right alongside a trunk road - having said that I have stayed at every other Brend hotel, perhaps my expectations were too high - I would recommend the hotel - with reservations

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple