“You'd have no idea from the outside...”

Silversprings St Davids
Ranked #21 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Rugby, United Kingdom
“You'd have no idea from the outside...”
Reviewed 8 January 2013

But inside it's a different story. This apartment, despite being a 5 minute walk from the centre of Exeter, is very well appointed (and quiet). It's smart, well-equipped, comfy, and a proper home-from-home. Certainly if I had to stay long term in Exeter this is where I'd want to be. The only complaint I have is about the bed - I banged my leg on the bedstead the first day (I was very careful after that!) but to be honest, that's the only thing. I have no other complaints - everything was lovely, especially to find milk, orange juice and biscuits waiting for us on arrival. And to also have Sky with movies and sport was a Brucie bonus!
And if you want somewhere to eat - go to The Farmer's Union over the road - you won't do better in Exeter for friendly service and good food.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BabeNo1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2013

We stayed here for one night just before Xmas to avoid the parties in the hotels, having visited Exeter last year and stayed in a central hotel and being disturbed by wedding parties etc. We were very pleased with the high standard and good value that Silversprings offered.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2012

We stayed in a self-catering apartment belonging to Silversprings for a weekend, having read the very positive reviews on Tripadvisor. It very much lived up to our expectations; very well-equipped, comfortable and clean, and conveniently located in a quiet street close to both city centre and train station. The staff we dealt with were v helpful and flexible. Much recommended.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2012

I stayed in the Isca apartment and found it to be extremely comfortable. Unfortunately, the two-bedroomed apartments at Silversprings were fully booked however, Juliet offered a put-up bed in the lounge for my son who was travelling with me. This worked very well. The apartment was spotless and beautifully furnished. The kitchen was very well equipped and it was great to have plentiful coffee and a cafetiere as well as milk in the fridge and biscuits on our arrival. I would definitely choose to stay in a Silversprings apartment again. I normally stay in a hotel but this accommodation was superior to many of the hotels I have stayed in and because of its quiet location I had a great nights sleep.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank ambklb2012
Northwich
Reviewed 14 November 2012

Over the past few years i have stayed at Silversprings Hotel, this visit i stayed in one of The Silversprings appartments, very peaceful and central for everything in and around the city, a really excellent appartment.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank DavidB B
Edgware, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2012

We recently stayed at the Richmond Suite of the Silversprings Hotel complex. It is located near a beautiful Georgian square on the upper side of St David's station, at 14 Richmond Road (Apartment No. 2.)

The apartment is stunning in its design and manages to combine elegance with practicality. You will find almost everything you need there to make the apartment a home away from home for however long you are staying.

We were supplied with semi-skimmed milk, orange juice and a pack of chocolate chip cookies and found salt, pepper, oil, vinegar, several types of coffee including beans (but we found no grinder), a percolator, tea and the most tiny amount of hot chocolate (nearly enough to make a mug for our little one). There was a kettle, microwave, hob and oven (oven was not working during out stay, but the landlord has fixed it now), nice set of plates and cutlery plus cooking utensils, and surprisingly silver foil and non-stick paper! There were two trays for those who like to eat on the sofa but we used the round glass dining table that overlooked the peaceful street.

The living room has a sofa that turns into a bed. My daughter found the sofa bed a little bit difficult to sleep in because it tended to sag in the middle (springs only have so much life in them, I guess) and there was a lot of moaning about us having the 'royal bedroom' - royal because it had a French carved bed with golden bedclothes and beautiful matching cushions - but was consoled by the fact she had full use of the flat screen TV and SKY box plus she could help herself to treats from the open plan kitchenette.

Our bedroom was rather small without a lot of floor space. The bed definitely dominated the room and because of the animal shaped legs, we kept hitting our knees on it. Ouch!

There is a dressing room that is separated from the bedroom with glass doors. The dressing room has enough space and hangers for hanging your clothes, a safe (we didn't check if it worked,) and a window facing the back of the property and the swimming pool of the Bendene hotel. The bedsheets were the softest I have ever experienced (and I do buy high thread count sheets for our bed at home!) but that proved a problem in turning at night as my cotton clothes were sticking to it like glue. So if you book this apartment, remember to pack your silk pajamas ;) The mattress is firm which was good for me but problematic for my partner. Back home we can get mattresses which are firm on one side and softer on the other and king sized beds are made up of two different mattresses to please everyone. I wonder if this is possible in the UK.

The bathroom was tiny but well equipped with a most beautiful built in sink with lighted cabinets and a large shower with glass doors. However, it is impossible for two people to share the bathroom as the shower door opens towards the toilet. The other slightly negative thing about the bathroom was that the shower pressure was low. But it was sparkly clean and the towels provided were fluffy (albeit a golden colour which is not a good colour for a hot wash.) Make sure you have enough towels for all of you as we were short and had to share the hand and hair towels. Shampoo is not provided so bring your own. There were a few bottles of conditioner in one of the cabinets but those were probably leftovers from the hotel. There was a posh hand wash liquid and cream and plenty of toilet paper made to look like a flower on the top (so cute!)

The apartment has a washer-dryer in a cabinet by the bathroom so bring your own laundry detergent if you need to wash any clothes. I think I also spotted an ironing board and iron, but I am not 100% sure as I hate ironing.

Now to practical information like accessibility. You can't park outside the flat because it is residents only and double yellow lines. But there is parking at the back of the building so you can stop briefly to drop off passengers and luggage and then head off to the parking. There is also a pay and display parking lot right across but it is for residents only after 6 pm and therefore of no use.

The flat is ground floor but is NOT wheelchair accessible. However, if you can walk, there is not a long distance to cover from the front door to the front door of the flat. The corridors of the flat are really small; we couldn't extend our elbows over 45 degrees. But these are details that did not take away from our enjoyment.

One thing you need to know is that the living room has a glass coffee table, a glass dining table and a glass computer desk, so it is not really child friendly although the owners do not place a lower age limit for their bookings.

What I really appreciated:

- the Lonely Planet Guide to Devon and assorted brochures including the restaurant guide
- the good communication with the reservations and check in staff
- the decor and cleanliness
- the architectural interest of the area

What would have made this flat irresistible to me would have been:

- a footstool or bean bag
- a blanket for cosying up on the sofa
- better water pressure in the shower

All in all it was a most relaxing and enjoyable stay.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Maria M
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2012

We have visited Exeter reguarly over the last 10 years and have said in many hotels. Of late are preference has turned to apartments so much more space for your money, we were over joyed to find Silverspring apartments, fantastic location a short walk into the centre and more importantly a 10 minute stroll to the rusty bike gastro pub, see separate review a real must. We stayed in apartment 4 could see cathedral from bedroom window, all facilities you would expect, loved sky plus and welcome pack. If you have any mobility problems or a lot of luggage would suggest you request an apartment on the lower floors as there is no lift. Only other suggestion would be an information pack in the apartment we did struggle to adjust the heating, these are minor feedback items for consideration. We will stay again and recommend to others.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple