“If I could give more of a rating than excellent I would!”

Saddles & Paddles Exeter Ltd
More attraction details
Owner description: Bike, canoe & kayak hire centre, plus bike sales & repairs, on Exeter quay. Pedal from the city to the seaside or paddle to the pub! Easy, relaxing, outdoor fun for all ages. We're on Exeter's historic quayside - popular for it's fascinating history, interesting architecture and independent shops - an easy 10 min walk from the city centre. Open 9am to 6pm everyday (bike hire 9.30am to 5.30pm, boat hire 10am -5pm)
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage, Baby buggy parking
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Buying the perfect bike could not be easier!
A courteous, knowledgeable and empathetic service.
I have been a daily cyclist for about 17 years. In Exeter, I cycle to work and enjoy cycling along the many beautiful paths and trails. I also, being a woman, wear dresses! I have had a unisex bike for 12 years and put up with (well any observers have) a fine display of various undergarments!
As a result of meeting Heather from Saddles and Paddles during a cyclescheme promotion at my work, I have now got the perfect open frame!
Heather discussed my cycling needs at length and although she came up with the bike I now have straight away, offered me a number of options to try / consider.
I was never rushed or made to feel inferior, Heather obviously has a wealth of knowledge and experience and was able to attenuate her service to my level.
(enthusiastic and labradorish)
I cannot recommend this shop highly enough, particularly for female cyclists. The shop is retail, hire and maintenance and all of us need to be aware of this quay nesting gem!
Thank you, thank you thank you!
Mel Sully.

Heather B, Owner at Saddles & Paddles Exeter Ltd, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us after buying your bike. It honestly has been a pleasure to help you! Despite having been at the Quay for nearly 25 years, many people still don't realise that we are a main dealer bike shop and fully functioning service centre. So it was great to come to your workplace to showcase some of our bikes and chat to staff. I was so pleased that I was able to help you - as someone who cycles herself, and having been involved in the industry for many moons, I really do understand the issues (and often barriers) that women face when it comes to getting on a bike. Since taking over Saddles & Paddles, I've been keen to highlight our specialism in both family and women's cycling. I understand that bike shops (like car garages) can be intimidating places to some people, but not at Saddles & Paddles! We strive to always be friendly, helpful, patient and never pushy - if we don't have what you need, we'd rather help you find it, even if that means we don't sell you anything.
So thank you so much for your review - I hope it will help encourage other people to visit us and put us to the test!

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

I visited this hire shop yesterday morning as I had a day to myself in Exeter. It's easily located on the quayside amongst restaurants and local craft shops.

The staff we're really friendly and I had a choice of hybrid, mountain and vintage style bikes. I opted for the vintage style, which came complete with a helmet and lock.

Half a days hire was £10 and only £15 for the whole day (the bike needed to be returned at 17:30).

There is so many beautiful routes starting from this location and the staff we're happy to go through a local map with me. I managed a 20 mile round trip to the coast and back well within the time and had no issues with the bike at all.

Can't recommend this place enough and I will definitely be using it again next time I'm in Exeter!

Thank you so much for your review, I'm thrilled to get such a glowing report and so pleased that you had a great day. Despite it being a really busy weekend, we are always happy to chat to our customers about where to go - the perks of the job are getting to chat to lovely people about exploring the Quay and the Estuary. The best bit is hearing where people have been when they got back and how much fun they had!
Glad to hear you're planning to return - we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Excellent Knowledge from Enthusiastic Staff. We hired two Bicycles for Four Hours and the Staff ensured the Cycles suited our requirements for the ride we had planned to Dawlish. Very easy and straightforward Paperwork to complete and we were supplied with a Toolkit and Optional Helmets at No Additional Charge. With the very reasonable Rates for the Hire this makes terrific Value For Money with Exercise, Fresh Air and Wonderful Scenery awaiting once away from the Historic Exeter Quay. The only downside........if you Cycle to the Dawlish Area and back, are a novice cyclist then you will ache in places you didn't realise you had once you return!!!! Great Fun though!

Thank you for your review - highlighting many of the reasons why it's great to get out on a bike. And the route to Dawlish is about to get even better, as Devon County Council is currently working on upgrading the route between the Turf Locks Inn and Powderham, just before Starcross and Dawlish. (More info here: https://www.devonnewscentre.info/exe-estuary-trail-to-go-the-extra-mile/) This will see the completion the Exe Estuary Trail - a fantastic, mostly off-road route for walkers and cyclists, that so many of our customers enjoy.
Really pleased to hear that you find us good value for money, as well as helpful. We have purposely kept our bike hire charges the same for a number of years to keep it affordable as a day out, particularly for families.
Hope to see you again soon - perhaps to ride the other side of the estuary next time?!

Reviewed 11 July 2014

We used Saddles & Paddles to hire bikes for the day during May bank holiday. The staff were very friendly & helpful, and very relaxed about the whole hire process. The bikes were in good condition and we had a very enjoyable day out. Highly recommend this company.

Thanks Sara, we're so glad you enjoyed hiring bikes from us. We had great weather for the May Bank Holidays, didn't we? Always lovely to go for a leisurely ride along the Exe Estuary Trail in the sunshine. And the sun is still out now, so hopefully we can welcome you back sometime!
Best wishes,
Heather

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Prior to living in Exeter, we often used to drive to the City and hire bikes from Saddles and Paddles. Now that we live here, on the river, we have our own bikes but still hire for visitors. The staff at Paddles are very good indeed. My husband cycles along the quay every morning to get newspapers etc., and sometimes, having a problem with his bike, he leaves it with them for repair. They do the repair in a flash (often on the spot so that we are not without our bikes).Customers come first here. Excellent.

Heather B, Owner at Saddles & Paddles Exeter Ltd, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

What a lovely review, thank you so much! We aim to look after locals and tourists alike, and with our repair centre, we are proud to be able to offer fast, friendly but high quality bike servicing.

We love being situated on the quay and our relationship with our regular customers and passers by is one of the highlights of the job!

Many thanks,