“Central B&B with freindly staff.”
Review of Townhouse

and 1 more site!
Townhouse
Ranked #4 of 68 Exeter B&B and Inns
Southwest England
“Central B&B with freindly staff.”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Very handy for both railway stations (Exeter St Davids and Exeter central) but you can have a parking permit if you travel by car.
Rooms very pleasant and clean and tidy. Bathroom was compact but spotless. Just a slightly loose toilet seat to contend with. We had a triple room which was fine for us as we all get on well but it was a wee bit compact. Useful to have access to WIFI free and good selection of teas/coffees etc in the room. Breakfasts were huge. Lots of fresh fruit, yoghurts, croissant alongside full cooked breakfasts. We had a room at the front of the house which was a bit noisy on the Saturday night with revellers coming back in the early hours passing the house shouting etc. Would definitely stay again but perhaps ask for a room at the back of the house.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Ascot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We found the Town House, a lovely place to stay. We had an agenda for several places in Exeter and this was really well placed to access everywhere. Staff were very helpful with directions both on foot or by bus. Parking, we were given a resident's parking permit, which worked well for us. Bedrooms are very well appointed with toiletries. Coffee and tea in the room, for the discerning, there was an excellent selection of teas etc. Spoilt for choice. We were disturbed by some noisy guests, but this was considerately sorted by the Staff, so it won't put us off returning again, as it obviously isn't the norm for this residence. The staff here seem to go out of their way to make your stay as good as possible. We were impressed.

Room Tip: Possibly avoid rooms on ground floor near front door. Otherwise, I think they are all good.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Lovely old house, friendly and welcoming staff, good breakfast. We were woken several times in the night by a group of guys who came back to their room, very loudly, one at a time between 2am and 5am. This was of course not the fault of the guest house manager, however she apologised individually to every guest as they came down to breakfast the next morning. Extremely considerate and professional, we were very impressed with how she dealt with such a difficult situation.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Wallington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I work in Exeter about 8 days a month and always stay at the Town House if they aren't fully booked. The fact that their 9 rooms are nearly always full speaks for itself. The converted Edwardian house appeals to me (as my house is much the same age). I think I have stayed in 4 or 5 of the rooms and they all have their own appeal....original fireplaces and the like in the larger rooms. Originally I asked to stay in the single room at the top of the house as it would be quietest (I do shiftwork) and the cheapest :-) ., but I've found that the whole place is quiet (mostly) although I haven't stayed in either room on the ground floor which I guess might be noisier. The manager, Stanka, and her staff(Bozena, Daniella, etc) are lovely ladies(from Slovakia),...always polite, helpful and smiling, and they do great breakfasts!..as little or as much as you want.
I guess the place could be described as a little quirky, (the single rooms may be too small for some) and maybe the odd thing might not be perfect, but if you want 5* hotel amenities then go stay in a 5* hotel, but if you want a comfortable, clean room (coffee, tea, books, water, etc in the room, and mostly en-suite), run by friendly people who will give you a perfect breakfast then go stay here!
Oh!....and in a perfect position for a 10 minute stroll into town or the train stations,....and great value (though I think I get a discount for being a regular visitor!). I try and book several months ahead because they get booked up pretty quick. Perfect for me and probably for you as well.

Room Tip: If you are tall then the single on the top floor('Jean Brodie') wont be suitable. I think my...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 26 October 2013

We were booked into this B&B through our landtour service provider. We stayed there for 2 nights. This place is so much better than our hotel in London. The lady who opened the door was friendly. We had many questions for her on how to get around town and where to eat. She also changed our eletric kettle promptly after we noted dark stains at the bottom.
Breakfast is excellent. Hot english breakfast. You can order any combination you wished for. It's the same lady and another lady helper serving breakfast. Breakfast room is small and only two helpers. The wait can be quite long if you want hot food during the morning peak hour so plan your time wisely. There is a nice little garden at the back
The room is clean, big and quiet. The en suite is a little small but everything is fine inside. Bed and pillows are comfortable and you know that they are clean.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Pebble_St0ne
Chard Somerset
Reviewed 23 October 2013

My first impression of the Town House was disappointing as the exterior looked drab and unmaintained. Shrubbery was obscuring windows and thus made rooms completely `enclosed'. I was in the Arthur Dent room on the ground floor. I could not look out of the window because of the shrubbery. The bedroom was the smallest I have EVER slept/stayed in and I felt really rather claustrophobic there with a pod like `shower' room which was equally disappointing and small. I felt that the owners had made a small storeroom into a room, not particularly suitable. The breakfast was adequate but I was asked what I wanted being couple of sausages and eggs and toast but I was given the full English breakfast which was OK but I was not listened to ...

Room Tip: If you are offered the Arthur Dent room say you prefer to be upstairs. The lights in the hallway ar...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank KatefromChard
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Very good value, with lots of little details which make staying there a pleasure. I've been back twice and will try to stay there again if I need to visit Exeter. The breakfast is fantastic, and everything is very high quality - eggs from their own hens, home made jam, and lots of fair trade and organic products around. I even had fresh flowers on my table!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business