“Minor tweaks to make it excellent”
Review of Puffing Billy

Puffing Billy
Ranked #7 of 538 Restaurants in Exeter
Price range: US$12 - US$33
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Groups, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 1 May 2012

My wife and I ate here ten days ago and overall thought it very good albeit a bit expensive. Plenty of space and nice comfortable seats (sat in the far corner facing the serving hatch so were on the fixed seating rather than chairs), and attentive but not overwhelming service. Prices perhaps a little on the high side and as it's so popular they don't need to offer an early bird menu which is a shame as that's where somewhere like The Conservatory offers better value.
Good food overall though I'm not totally convinced that black pudding sits alongside beef medallions but that's maybe my taste and others may disagree.
One gripe would be the cheeseboard - nothing wrong with the cheese itself but please provide more biscuits and a varied selection not all the same sort, more chutney wouldn't go amiss either.

Bottom line - will I go back again? Possibly but more so if somebody else is paying

Reviewed 27 April 2012

I can't really complain about anything but the price. The price makes me think they have a higher aspiration for there food reputation than the reality. Contrary to other reviews, service was excellent, decor not my style but smart and clean.

andrew y, Owner at Puffing Billy, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2012

Thanks for posting your review of The Puffing Billy. Obviously I am concerned that you feel that the whole experience was expensive. We do take considerable care to keep our prices to comparable levels for the area and look to make our portions as generous as possible without becoming too big to spoil the option for guests to have a starter, main and dessert and not feel far too full!
Our new spring menu has delicious options from £4.95 upwards - but we will continue to look at making our offer value for money as we recognise how important this is.

Many thanks

Reviewed 26 April 2012

This restaurant came highly recommended and the food didn't disappoint. However, the staff didn't seem to have a clue what they were doing and the service was dreadful. The food was rather expensive for a pub and several dishes on ther menu had 'sold out' even though we arrived at 7.30.

andrew y, Owner at Puffing Billy, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2012

Dear Jim,
Many thanks for posting your review of The Puffing Billy on this site. Although I am delighted that you found our food to be excellent, I am obviously concerned that our service was not up to scratch when you visited us in November. I can promise you that, as can be seen from reviews of more recent visits, we have "upped our game" on service and quality and I am confident that you would have a much better experience should you visit on another occasion. That being said, I am grateful for your constructive comments and I hope and expect that we will learn from them.
With best wishes

Andrew younger

Reviewed 16 April 2012

Had another great meal the other night after not going for a year. Good to see always good despite a change of team!

andrew y, Owner at Puffing Billy, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2012

Many thanks for your kind review of The Puffing Billy. It is nice to see you come back again - even if after a year! I really appreciate your feedback and we hope to see you again next year - or perhaps before??.
With very best wishes

Reviewed 16 April 2012

We often visit the Puffing Billy as its only a 10 minute drive from home.

This time was a family birthday celebration for 6. We had a lovely large circular table. The restaurant wasn't that busy as it was a Wednesday so the other diners were nicely spaced out around the restaurant

We were not the easiest of groups as I. An not eat wheat and a few other things and my mother can only eat certain vegetables. Despite this and us asking for a few changes to the menu we were told that nothing was a problem and sure enough the chef was able to accommodate our specific food requirements all apart from wheat free bread which I fully appreciate.

Food and service was as always very good indeed and all the family enjoyed the evening and we are looking forward ti visiting again very soon and now we are moving into the summer even better as we will be able to cycle there and also sit outside with views to the river.

Well done all concerned. High standards as usual.

andrew y, Owner at Puffing Billy, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2012

Many thanks for your positive review of The Puffing Billy following your recent visit. I am delighted that you enjoyed your evening and very much hope to see you again soon.
With very best wishes

Andrew Younger

Been to Puffing Billy? Share your experiences!