“Delightful pub food”

Puffing Billy
Ranked #7 of 536 Restaurants in Exeter
Price range: US$12 - US$34
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We had been to Exmouth and while my wife was in one place I was spying out all the top restaurants as recommended by trip advisor but it being a Monday lunchtime none were open. Our last resort was the quaintly named Puffing Billy that is a drive outside of Exmouth,

We were getting concerned as the clock was approaching two whether we would find the place shut for food but we needn’t have been concerned. They were still serving new diners after three when we left. The tall gentleman behind the bar greeted us with great amiability and as he escorted us to our table we felt comfortable, he was wearing shorts as we both were.

The restaurant is bright and furnished in a contemporary manner. At two o clock it was almost full but we were shown to a lovely table by a window.

I ate off the set menu two courses for £14.95. I had an excellent red mullet on a bed of sautéed potatoes covered with ratatouille. It was well presented. My wife had one of her favourite artisan meals, liver, bacon and onions. She declared it one of the best she had eaten. I tried some and it was delicious with lovely thick onion gravy. For desert I had vanilla ice cream with orange sorbet. The ice cream was rich and creamy but the sorbet was not as orange in colour or taste as I expected.

There are newer reviews for Puffing Billy

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Whilst cycling from Exmouth to Topsham, we passed this delightful pub and stopped for a coffee, we were impressed by the quality and service, so much so that we booked for lunch. On arriving the pub and resturant was busy, but we were soon escorted to a table. It was beautifully clean and recently decorated, the food and service was excellent. We will certainly return to this gem of a find.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Excellent meal. Celebrated my sister-in-laws birthday at the Puffing Billy. Staff were very friendly & helpful. Meal was excellent. So good we couldn't manage a dessert!
Lovely setting by the estuary - helped also by the fact it was a beautiful day

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

For a leisurely coffee while you read the paper or a special meal you can't fault this well run and hosted establishment. Very clean and tidy and smart it ticks all the boxes. Good menu. Well worth a visit on the way to or from Exmouth.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

The chap serving behind the bar was very polite. We sat outside and the food was quickly brought to us however the chips were not cooked properly and my partners mushroom and spinach tagliatelle was bland and just tasted of cream, not very pleasant at all, when pointing this out (we were not asked how the food was!) I do not think that the appropriate response was "you ate it all", we also were not asked whether we wanted any sauces etc when the food was brought to us. We found it rather inconsiderate and rude. We visited this pub in 2012 and the food was lovely, we will not be visiting again.

1  Thank RM7278