“Don't bother”

Puffing Billy
Ranked #20 of 562 Restaurants in Exeter
Price range: US$13 - US$36
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 26 August 2014

It is a long time since I penned a review however I feel the need to advise would be patrons of the puffing billy not to bother. Initially stopped for drinks, decided to eat as the place looked pleasant enough, starters arrived promptly and were passable however the red mullet served to my wife smelt strongly and after a mouthful declared the fish inedible, any establishment hoping to retain custom should never serve food of such abysmal quality also customer service was well below what one would expect, apparently the waitress tried said fish and pronounced it fine and that it had arrived fresh that morning, if this is the standard of fresh fish at this venue steer well clear, in future we most definitely will.

2  Thank postiemark

Reviewed 22 August 2014

very nice clean looking restaurant and a nice welcome from the bar manager, we asked the waitress if the wine was oaked to which she rather snootingly replied ,we don't have oaked wine, they are all screw top, the pig cheek pate had no taste, the steak tasted of barbecue fuel and the place consisted of one poorly cooked small portion.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Slightly misleading sign outside welcoming families, children, dogs and rather patronisingly locals - we got the impression that nobody was welcome.

Very clean and pleasant surroundings but staff very cold, brusque and unwelcoming. We were a large group and it took ages to get our food order taken. Some had finished eating before others meals arrived. In fairness the food was very good but not so good to encourage a return visit.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Wonderful food ------top class
Venue spotlessly clean And tidy
Not particularly happy staff - need some training on smiling and welcoming customers.

1  Thank Julia W
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We had been to Exmouth and while my wife was in one place I was spying out all the top restaurants as recommended by trip advisor but it being a Monday lunchtime none were open. Our last resort was the quaintly named Puffing Billy that is a drive outside of Exmouth,

We were getting concerned as the clock was approaching two whether we would find the place shut for food but we needn’t have been concerned. They were still serving new diners after three when we left. The tall gentleman behind the bar greeted us with great amiability and as he escorted us to our table we felt comfortable, he was wearing shorts as we both were.

The restaurant is bright and furnished in a contemporary manner. At two o clock it was almost full but we were shown to a lovely table by a window.

I ate off the set menu two courses for £14.95. I had an excellent red mullet on a bed of sautéed potatoes covered with ratatouille. It was well presented. My wife had one of her favourite artisan meals, liver, bacon and onions. She declared it one of the best she had eaten. I tried some and it was delicious with lovely thick onion gravy. For desert I had vanilla ice cream with orange sorbet. The ice cream was rich and creamy but the sorbet was not as orange in colour or taste as I expected.