“Good food, terrible atmosphere”
Review of Harry's Restaurant

Harry's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Harry's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 535 Restaurants in Exeter
Price range: US$7 - US$31
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Went for a birthday meal for 4 people & decided to try Harry's restaurant having visited the Grill bar previously. Booked a table 2 months in advance as knew the lead-up to Christmas can be busy.
Arrived at the restaurant & found ourselves on a table which I can only presume is not normally in the position it was, as it was on the walkway to the kitchen & bar so had a continuous stream of waiting staff walking past & bumping into our chairs as well as being able to look directly into the kitchen which definitely shouldn't have been visible. I am aware that around Christmas restaurants can be busy but I would never put a table of 4 in a walkway as well as being next to 2 huge tables of over 20 people. In my opinion if you couldn't fit a table into the separate seating area the booking shouldn't have been accepted as its just greed but find it hard to believe we were the last to book, so seems we drew the short straw that evening!
The food itself was ok- the waiting staff were polite but seemed overstretched as they forgot the finger bowl for our mussels, which we had to ask for twice & they took over half an hour to provide us with our bill.
Overall, a thoroughly dissapointing experince for a birthday & I doubt I would return again, especially as I had such high expectations having visited Harry's grill bar.

2  Thank fairy_whiskers
Cameron H, Manager at Harry's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2014

Hi fairy_whiskers,

Thank you for your review. Really sorry to read that we didn't impress so much during your Christmas booking. To accommodate ever changing numbers for Christmas party bookings, our table layouts often change, however whenever we accept large bookings, we always let our smaller tables know - really sorry if it wasn't yourself who made the reservation or if we overlooked this at all.

Christmas is always a busy time, but it's really important to us that smaller, regular or 'non-Christmas' tables are always looked after and enjoy themselves as much as everyone else. So sorry that you didn't find that the case.

It would be great if you could find the faith to try us once more, perhaps before the Christmas season starts - we're sure that given a second chance we can impress you and restore confidence.
Do contact me on info@harrys-exeter.co.uk and I will happily and personally arrange a reservation.

Thank you again and really hope we can welcome you back at some point in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Harry's Restaurant

Reviewed 23 May 2014

My wife and I try to visit Harry's as regularly as possible. We have been impressed for many years at the friendly service, great food and drinks. The menu is varied with an excellent selection of dishes, with something to suit every taste. The restaurant manages to strike a great balance between family friendly and romantic. The food is good value and easily matches the quality of the food. There are cheaper places to eat, but £:Pleasure is worth it here.

For visitors who are driving, there is a car park within a few minutes walk away (Howell Road) which is free after 18:00.

Needless to say, we'll be back again soon.

1  Thank GuyHead

Hi GuyHead,

Thanks so much for taking the time to review us... we genuinely appreciate it. So glad to read you're both long term fans of Harry's, that means a lot to us and I'll look forward to sharing all your comments with the team.
Your description sums us up perfectly and thank you for mentioning the tip about parking - and also, if you visit after 6pm, you are able to park right outside on the single yellows too.

We'll look forward to seeing you both soon and thank you again.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Went to Harry's to celebrate my daughter's birthday. There were seven of us in the party. One son that lives abroad had checked out the website prior to our meal and sent the money to buy a jug of Bellini. We were all very excited about our meal and the atmosphere is really buzzing there. It was a warm, sunny evening and the doors were open - everything looked hopeful for a great evening.

In fact the meal was pretty much mediocre - nachos were disappointing; jambalaya was dry and looked microwaved; fajitas were OK; salad also just about OK; calzone was good; steaks were OK. But the real sting in the tail? When we checked our bill (it came to over £200) we noticed that the Bellini was charged at £23.50 not the £22 on website and menu. I queried this with the waitress and her superior came over and suggested I should read the small print where it does indeed state that the menu can be changed without prior warning. This price had apparently 'only gone up in price a couple of weeks ago' and new menus weren't deemed necessary! I have never in my life had this happen before and think it a dreadful way to treat customers. I assume this means they have a licence to print any amount on the bill and then use their disclaimer on the menu to stop any queries. Disgraceful for a restaurant that sells itself as
"Honest to us encompasses many things including animal welfare, local sourcing, carbon footprint, supporting the local community, striving to be environmentally friendly, it’s an ongoing process.

Ultimately, we are looking to provide the best all round outcomes for our customers. It’s really a balance of finding suppliers that support all of these ethics."

But not apparently advertising correct pricing.

Needless to say it spoilt the evening for us - and we won't be going there again. I have just checked the website again and it is still showing £22 for this item.

So ... if you go to Harry's to eat I think you'll enjoy the party atmosphere and suggest you just pay the bill without looking - it could be considerably more than you imagine!

4  Thank perrin f

Hi perrin f,

Thank you for your review. Really sorry to read that we haven't wowed you on this occasion - I guess we're slightly confused, as we remember looking after you on the evening and everyone seemed very happy? We weren't aware of any food being sent back and of course we'd always happily arrange an alternative if someone wasn't satisfied with their meal.
I will of course pass on your comments to chef, but If you do have any specific suggestions, please let me know as we always welcome feedback.

With regards to the £1.50 difference in the bill, we're really sorry about this. Perhaps there was a miscommunication / misunderstanding as it was purchased prior to your reservation.
We will of course be happy arrange a £1.50 refund for you or take this off the bill on a future visit.
We're sorry to read this has left you disgraced, it was an honest mistake and since then we have even added an online voucher system to our website to make it even easier to arrange for jugs of cocktails, bottles of wine, and other treats to be arranged for a table prior to reservation.

Thank you again for choosing Harry's to celebrate your daughters' birthday. We really hope to welcome you back at some point in the near future.

Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

We went for my sons birthday dinner. The whole family enjoyed very course of the meal. Staff very friendly & attentive. I had a T bone and it was cooked to perfection. I we booked and I would recommend this as several people had to be turned away. We will definitely book again. Not cheap but then I would rather pay a bit more and have a
great meal.

Hi Stugadget,

Really pleased to hear you all enjoyed your sons birthday dinner with us! Thank you so much for choosing us and also taking time to write us a review too. Really appreciate it.
Will have great pleasure in sharing your comments with the team, especially T Bone comments with chef - locally sourced is definitely the way forward!
Thank you for mentioning about booking in advance - you're spot on, always a good idea to guarantee the table, especially at weekends.
Thank you again and really looking forward to welcoming you all back to Harry's soon.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Husband and I went out for lunch before baby number 2 arrives. Harry's was always a favourite for us, when it was just us!! Although, disappointed not to see the garlic mushrooms for starters anymore. But never the less we were happy with sharing olives and bread and dip. Then for the main nachos. Never fails, think this could have been the best to date! No room left for anymore. Left feeling extremely full and happy! The waiter was friendly. Great experience as always!!

Hi Sarah D,

Firstly congrats on baby number 2's imminent arrival...fantastic news! And thank you so much for coming to Harry's and also taking the time to write a review.
Great choice on the nachos! They are rather large, so maybe dessert next time instead. Thanks for letting us know about the mushrooms - we're shortly going to be launching our new Autumn/Winter menu, so there is every chance they will make an appearance. We'll keep you posted.
Best of luck with baby arrival and hope to welcome you back again soon.