Open today: 09:00 - 17:00
Review Highlights
Amazing experience

This was a half day Indian cooking session given to me as a gift. It was such fun, very friendly... read more

Reviewed 3 days ago
Trish H
Greater London, United Kingdom
First class

Great venue, friendly staff, learnt loads from Jim and had a laugh in the process. Tea and coffee... read more

Reviewed 13 January 2019
Bazzer500
Andover, United Kingdom
via mobile

All reviews sea bass pastry bread making course goujons french bistro an excellent teacher learning how mussels master chef great fun lucy techniques science skills ecs mayonnaise finalist
Reviewed 12 August 2018 via mobile

Did the seafood day ,lovely day relaxed learnt lots of tips , dissected a squid,cooked a sauce and mussels and a few scallops.
Just felt we could have spent less time talking watching and cooked a bit more seafood.

Date of experience: July 2018
Reviewed 12 August 2018

I was lucky enough to receive a gift voucher for the Exeter Cookery School (one day course). It took me a while to choose which one I would benefit from. So I attended the Fish Prep and Cooking course yesterday. What I liked started from the introductory email. It explained about the day, what to expect and what you needed (or didn't need) to take. It gave parking instructions too. It also said they understand people may be nervous but it was planned to be an easy going and hopefully fun day. It fulfilled all these and more. It started with a friendly welcome from Lucy with tea/coffee waiting for you and gave you chance to meet the other students. Then Jim came and introduced himself. There were only six of us on this day which I thought was a perfect number. We filleted Sea Bass and Plaice under Jim's instruction (with no accidents, a good deal of humour and plenty of patience. Thanks Jim!!) I think we all felt at ease after a very short time. Throughout the day Jim demonstrated two different recipes with the sea bass. We then went off and gave it a go with Jim available to jog our memories or offer some words of wisdom. We later made mayonnaise to eat the the goujons of Plaice we prepared and again nothing went wrong!! I certainly enjoyed the day, had quite a few giggles and learnt a huge amount. I cant wait to try the recipes at home (although my fish monger may become my new best friend).
Lucy, thanks for the warm welcome and tea and coffee along the way. Daisy, you are a absolute star. Tidying up after us and doing ALL the washing up - Thank you. Jim, you imparted your words of wisdom with humour and enthusiasm for your art. It put us all at ease.
I shall certainly be checking dates for Part II of the course!!
If you feel nervous, don't. If you don't think you're good enough- it doesn't matter Jim is on hand at all times. All you need is an open mind, an interest in whatever course you choose, and a sense of humour. Go on - give it a go

Date of experience: August 2018
1  Thank Sharon B
Reviewed 27 July 2018

I was given the full-day French bistro course for my birthday and I was excited after hearing the great experience my boyfriend and dad had on the half-day sauce course. I turned up with my dad and any pre-cooking nerves I had melted away, Lucy and Jim and incredibly personable and friendly and we were welcomed with a delicious cup of coffee before we started.

Jim is very patient and was able to instruct a group of eight of us, all at different levels so you don't for one second feel like you are being left behind. He has a great sense of humour and is a beacon of knowledge of not just cooking but the science behind it. It was a fascinating day and I have learnt so much including basic skills which will revolutionise my time in the kitchen.

Lucy and Jim make a great team and the whole day ran seamlessly, the hospitality is fab and the quality of ingredients is second to none - you even get to enjoy your efforts at lunch which for us was french onion soup - delicious! We finally have a great cooking school in a beautiful location - if you are thinking of booking a course I cannot recommend ECS enough.

Thank you so much Lucy and Jim - we will be back!

Date of experience: July 2018
Jim F, Owner at Exeter Cookery School, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2018

What a lovely review! Thank you so much, Chantelle - it was lovely to have you and your dad here on a course. Hope to see you again sometime. Jim.

Reviewed 1 July 2018

Myself and my wife enjoyed a mornings fish course at the Exeter Cookery School and were impressed by the enthusiasm and professionalism of the team.
From those who hadn’t cooked a fish before to those who were experienced, the knowledge base and teaching style was flexible and entertaining.
A really great experience.
We will return.

Date of experience: June 2018
Reviewed 30 June 2018

I spent this afternoon at The Exeter Cookery School. Jim and Lucy are the best. Such a warm welcome and made to feel at ease as soon as we walked through the door. After introducing ourselves we were able to enjoy a mug of tea or coffee.

Jim then gave us a talk and it was apparent that we were in for something special. We weren't there just to learn how to cook. In this case a course on Essential Sauces. We learn"t why we were following the process that was necessary to a good sauce or, failure. Jim doesn't just cook, he knows the science of the culinary art. We were in the presence of a master. His knowledge is awesome, it's infectious too because already Im looking things up on my iPad.

We made a Classic Bechamel Sauce. Smooth like silk and a velvety taste. Then we moved on to Mayonnaise. OMG! It can go so wrong but not with Jim to guide and support. When I presented my Mayonnaise to Michael,. Well, there was quite a lot. 500 mls of rapeseed oil for starters. There isn't much left!!! Then we moved on to the exquisite meat reduction sauce. I truly new I was in Foodie Heaven. Just listening to and watching how this amazing creation was made, well you knew that anything requiring a good stock had moved. It's a whole new ball game.

Honestly, if you are thinking, or wondering, if a course would be good for you... STOP. Just choose the course, book and be prepared to be amazed. Exeter is privileged to have The Exeter Cookery School and Jim and Lucy. Thanks guys. I loved every minute.

Date of experience: June 2018
Jim F, Owner at Exeter Cookery School, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2018

Wow - thank you so much for such a sparkling review! It was lovely meeting and cooking with you and we hope to be able to do so again sometime in the future. Take care and keep on cooking - you're a natural.
Best wishes