Open today: 09:00 - 17:00
Review Highlights
First class

Great venue, friendly staff, learnt loads from Jim and had a laugh in the process. Tea and coffee... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Bazzer500
Andover, United Kingdom
via mobile
Butchery course

I was bought this as a gift and had great fun. The three people that ran the course were Lucy, Jim... read more

Reviewed 1 December 2018
stevenbF4176HF
Plymouth, United Kingdom
via mobile

All reviews sea bass pastry bread making course goujons french bistro an excellent teacher learning how mussels master chef great fun lucy science techniques ecs mayonnaise finalist skills
Reviewed 30 August 2018 via mobile

Didn’t know what to give my husband as a wedding anniversary present so we booked this course together. From the start it was excellent. Lovely people on the course with us and Jim is an excellent teacher explaining everything so clearly. He is also passionate about using local ingredients and encouraging the eating of proper food. He has a deep understanding of the science of food.

We baked four different breads including baguettes some of which we ate with a simple but tasty lunch with charcuterie and cheese followed by fresh seasonal fruit. Rather like a French picnic. The wholemeal , couronne aux fines herbes and fougasse will be sampled this evening.

Thanks also to Jim’s wife Lucy and his young employee (we unfortunately missed her name) for cleaning up after us and serving the lunch and refreshments.

Date of experience: August 2018
1  Thank 213dib
Reviewed 12 August 2018 via mobile

Did the seafood day ,lovely day relaxed learnt lots of tips , dissected a squid,cooked a sauce and mussels and a few scallops.
Just felt we could have spent less time talking watching and cooked a bit more seafood.

Date of experience: July 2018
Reviewed 12 August 2018

I was lucky enough to receive a gift voucher for the Exeter Cookery School (one day course). It took me a while to choose which one I would benefit from. So I attended the Fish Prep and Cooking course yesterday. What I liked started from the introductory email. It explained about the day, what to expect and what you needed (or didn't need) to take. It gave parking instructions too. It also said they understand people may be nervous but it was planned to be an easy going and hopefully fun day. It fulfilled all these and more. It started with a friendly welcome from Lucy with tea/coffee waiting for you and gave you chance to meet the other students. Then Jim came and introduced himself. There were only six of us on this day which I thought was a perfect number. We filleted Sea Bass and Plaice under Jim's instruction (with no accidents, a good deal of humour and plenty of patience. Thanks Jim!!) I think we all felt at ease after a very short time. Throughout the day Jim demonstrated two different recipes with the sea bass. We then went off and gave it a go with Jim available to jog our memories or offer some words of wisdom. We later made mayonnaise to eat the the goujons of Plaice we prepared and again nothing went wrong!! I certainly enjoyed the day, had quite a few giggles and learnt a huge amount. I cant wait to try the recipes at home (although my fish monger may become my new best friend).
Lucy, thanks for the warm welcome and tea and coffee along the way. Daisy, you are a absolute star. Tidying up after us and doing ALL the washing up - Thank you. Jim, you imparted your words of wisdom with humour and enthusiasm for your art. It put us all at ease.
I shall certainly be checking dates for Part II of the course!!
If you feel nervous, don't. If you don't think you're good enough- it doesn't matter Jim is on hand at all times. All you need is an open mind, an interest in whatever course you choose, and a sense of humour. Go on - give it a go

Date of experience: August 2018
1  Thank Sharon B
Reviewed 27 July 2018

I was given the full-day French bistro course for my birthday and I was excited after hearing the great experience my boyfriend and dad had on the half-day sauce course. I turned up with my dad and any pre-cooking nerves I had melted away, Lucy and Jim and incredibly personable and friendly and we were welcomed with a delicious cup of coffee before we started.

Jim is very patient and was able to instruct a group of eight of us, all at different levels so you don't for one second feel like you are being left behind. He has a great sense of humour and is a beacon of knowledge of not just cooking but the science behind it. It was a fascinating day and I have learnt so much including basic skills which will revolutionise my time in the kitchen.

Lucy and Jim make a great team and the whole day ran seamlessly, the hospitality is fab and the quality of ingredients is second to none - you even get to enjoy your efforts at lunch which for us was french onion soup - delicious! We finally have a great cooking school in a beautiful location - if you are thinking of booking a course I cannot recommend ECS enough.

Thank you so much Lucy and Jim - we will be back!

Date of experience: July 2018
Jim F, Owner at Exeter Cookery School, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2018

What a lovely review! Thank you so much, Chantelle - it was lovely to have you and your dad here on a course. Hope to see you again sometime. Jim.

Reviewed 1 July 2018

Myself and my wife enjoyed a mornings fish course at the Exeter Cookery School and were impressed by the enthusiasm and professionalism of the team.
From those who hadn’t cooked a fish before to those who were experienced, the knowledge base and teaching style was flexible and entertaining.
A really great experience.
We will return.