“nice place!”
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

of 5 bubbles
4 of 5 bubbles Very good - based on 10 reviews

Reviews from our community

JC1664
“Great location and reasonable cottage spoilt by adjoining pub and complete lack of privacy.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014 for a stay in August 2014
person found this review helpful

We have stayed in this part of Exmoor many times and it is a beautiful area with Malmsmead perfectly positioned to explore the area.
Our first impressions were pretty good, the cottage is nicely proportioned, well presented with a good layout and appears to have been recently refurbished. There is no washing machine but this is clearly stated in the details - so I have no complaint. After spending the first day in the cottage it became clear that quite a few things were either missing or not as you would expect. For example: there is no toaster; only pint glasses and wine glasses; the tin opener doesn't work etc. None of this is a big deal but in conjunction with the lack of welcome pack we were left with the impression that nobody really cared much.
The real issue and the primary reason I would not recommend the property is that the cafe is in fact now a pub, it changed 5 months ago and at the time of writing this was still not reflected in the property description. We would never have booked if we'd known. The twin bedroom is directly above the pub kitchen and the open plan living area is only separated by an internal door. On the first night I complained about the noise, especially the music from the kitchen as our 4 & 7 year old children could not sleep. I was grateful that the music was turned off but from that point felt that I'd upset the staff. Unfortunately the sound insulation is so poor that I had to listen to the kitchen staff talking about us the following evening.
A couple of days later we had friends visiting, within minutes of their arrival there was a knock at the door and I was told that they could stay (!!) but that their dogs would have to sit in their car. I refused, and asked to see the owner, he was far more reasonable and I felt less unhappy after our meeting. However, I do not expect this hassle when on holiday.
If the adjoining property was still a cafe (as advertised) we'd have been content with the cottage, but for us living over a pub doesn't make for a relaxing holiday.

2 of 5 bubbles Value 2 of 5 bubbles Rooms
5 of 5 bubbles Location 4 of 5 bubbles Cleanliness
2 of 5 bubbles Service
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014 for a stay in July 2014
5 of 5 bubbles How easy was key pickup/access to the property? 4 of 5 bubbles Overall condition of the property
4 of 5 bubbles Bedding & mattresses 4 of 5 bubbles Kitchen & utensils
4 of 5 bubbles Bathroom cleanliness 3 of 5 bubbles Other facilities & amenities
5 of 5 bubbles Service
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Friends getaway A romantic getaway
Older travelers Families with young children
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014 for a stay in December 2013
3 of 5 bubbles Value 2 of 5 bubbles Rooms
4 of 5 bubbles Location 4 of 5 bubbles Cleanliness
5 of 5 bubbles Check-in / front desk 4 of 5 bubbles Service
Management Response
2 Jan 2014
Thank you for your feedback, we are glad that you liked the cottage and location but I am very sorry that the chimney leaked during your stay. I will certainly raise this with the owner.

In the defense of the cottage it must be noted that we experienced exceptional weather at the time of your stay, Met Office weather warnings due to torrential rain and gale force winds - horizontal rain at times! Nonetheless please accept our apologies and we will investigate the chimney.
Bath
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013 for a stay in September 2013
2 of 5 bubbles Value 3 of 5 bubbles Rooms
5 of 5 bubbles Location 4 of 5 bubbles Cleanliness
4 of 5 bubbles Check-in / front desk 2 of 5 bubbles Service
Management Response
19 Sep 2013
Thank you for your comments, we always appreciate feedback from our guests so that we can improve for future guests.
I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed Exmoor but of course very sorry that you found the cottage disappointing.
We try to make the information and photos on our website as clear as possible so that guests know what they are getting when they book it. I am sorry if you feel that we have failed to let you know there wasn't a bath in this property, I will make sure the information on the website is made more clear.
With regards to the power cut, I am so sorry that this happened during your stay, and as you say incredibly unfortunate that it should occur on the day that the staff had a day off. In an emergency we would always try to help if we could, we are usually on the end of an email and in this instance could have alerted the housekeeper to your distress.
I'm not sure what you mean by the staff taking the internet off you, but I will also raise this so that we can ensure wifi is available for guests' use.
Again, thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and bringing these points to our attention. We hope that you will return to Exmoor again.
DawnSurre...
Surrey
“Our Utopia”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013 for a stay in June 2013

We have just returned from a wonderful week in Lorna Doone cottage. The cottage is probably situated in the best location possible in Exmoor. Malsmead is set in a valley between open moor, woods and fields and fields of sheep. The river East Lyn runs through just across the lane and makes it's way all the way down to the sea at Lynton. It's a lovely 6-7 mile walk with convenient stops at pubs in Brendon, Rockford and scrumptious rock cakes at the National Trust Watersmeet. We had a different walk each day directly from the cottage across Doone valley or to Oare where we saw a calf that had been born only a short while before and was staggering around on jelly legs. The cottage was spotlessly clean with comfy sofas, fluffy duvets and pillows. The whole of the downstairs is open plan which makes it ideal for families who want to chat whilst dinner is cooking. The café/deli next door is open most days from 11am but didn't bother us at all. The bedrooms where spacious with lots of hanging and cupboard space. The garden is all yours from about 5pm and is a lovely sun trap to sip a gin and tonic in whilst watching the swallows dart across the river. Thomask is usually around to help with any issues or to give a friendly wave in the mornings. He helped us with a problem shower door and produced another frying pan to fry eggs in. The plumbing was a bit odd and we didn't quite get to grips with it but it didn't really cause us problems. My daughter enjoyed two horse rides from the local stables at Brendon Manor stables 4 miles up the road. They were friendly and catered for all grades of riders.

There is no chance of a mobile phone signal anywhere in the valley but there is wifi. We slept with the windows open and woke to the morning chorus of birds and lambs, and at night the owls called to one another across the valley. If you want a get away from it all break in the most beautiful part of Exmoor then this place is for you. We will most certainly be back.

4 of 5 bubbles How easy was it to book the property? 5 of 5 bubbles How helpful were the directions to the property?
5 of 5 bubbles Bedding & mattresses 3 of 5 bubbles Kitchen & utensils
5 of 5 bubbles Bathroom cleanliness 5 of 5 bubbles Other facilities & amenities
5 of 5 bubbles Service
Liked best: Everything
Liked least: The kitchen could do with a few more utensils such as a bread knife, egg cups and another saucepan. The plumbing in the kitchen was back to front with hot or tepid water coming out of both taps.
Travelling group: Extended Family
Your age range 50-64
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
Hong Kong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2013 for a stay in May 2013
person found this review helpful
3 of 5 bubbles Value 4 of 5 bubbles Rooms
4 of 5 bubbles Location 5 of 5 bubbles Cleanliness
5 of 5 bubbles Check-in / front desk 4 of 5 bubbles Service
A romantic getaway
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Make Enquiry
Never pay for your holiday rental by wire transfer.
Learn more about paying safely.
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing