“Lovely short break”

The Captain's House
Ranked #12 of 15 Lynmouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 July 2013

My wife booked this very last minute, to our favourite part of the UK. I have to admit to being concerned when I read some of the terrible reviews however we decided it was too late to change and we'd only be sleeping there anyway.

What a pleasant surprise to find a beautiful old house, with what might not be the latest fashion designers view but seemed perfectly in keeping to us. Comfortable bed, beautiful view of the river and very pleasantly welcomed by the owner. The pleasantness continued for the whole 3 days, despite us coming back very late on the first night and almost certainly waking them up.

They recommended the Risign Sun and the Village Inn to have a drink in and they were excellent recommendations, made some very good new friends.

The breakfast, on the day I got up in time, was very nice and the only slight negative would be the lack of constant hot water, that seemed to be aimed at being provided for the typical walkers timetable, not people used to a night life. But then we were in sleepy devon:)

So quite where all these negative reviews are coming from, we are frankly a little surprised, perhaps some of them should look at just how obnoxious and demanding they are before wondering why people respond in kind. And we saw plenty of behaviour from people who were very obnoxious from the tourists who seemed to think they owned Lynmouth rather than being lucky to have the pleasure of visiting such a beautiful part of the world.

Twice in the Rising Sun, people (OAPs both times) came and sat at our 2 person table, while were were eating, without even asking if it was OK, which it wasn't, to then proceed to talk loudly and pompously and try and join in our conversation. If they were in my B&B I'd be telling them where to go as well.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 July 2013 via mobile

This was the 2nd b&b we went to on our uk trip. The owner seems very friendly at first, but when asking why we didn't have the bathroom en suite, he rudely told us we can just go somewhere else. This comment made the whole experience more negative. The room was very hot, and there was no fan or anything. Rooms were quite dusty and old. Breakfast was not really good. Bad instant coffee , 2 types of cereal and not really great eggs. Lynmouth itself was great, but if we come back it wont be here.

• Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank john m m
Reviewed 9 July 2013

This guest house has changed its name - used to be known as Tregonwell (look at the reviews)Make the most of the warm welcome because that's as good as it gets.I can live with mismatched decor and it doesn'tbother me at all. When I am on holiday I cannot however live with totally flat pillows, rock hard towel ( one only to use for drying hands, showering etc,); weird tasting breakfast - was it the oil or the cheap tasting bacon;no hot water to wash or shower in ; no private bathroom - despite being told it was when we booked we were told on arrival that we have to share the shower as other ones were broken. We were told the toilet would be private - not so; nothing to look out of the windows at except the rock face and other windows so very dark. Our dog got better treatment than we did! This could be an interesting place with some TLC and owners that cared but meanwhile - give it a very wide berth. We stayed one of the two nights we stupidly paid for up front, cut our losses and fled across the road to an altogether more pleasant, clean and bright establishment with breakfast to die for . Major plus point - stunning location by the river.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank Tijoal123
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Stayed some nights B&B while walking the SW coast path. The owners collected us and delivered us back each day. Very well situated near the coast path, and restaurants handy in the evening. Friendly welcome, interesting house, and the transport worked very well. Bedrooms a bit tired, but clean. Catering not really up to scratch - real orange juice and coffee would be a reasonable expectation but it wasn't provided.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Arthur C
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Had a very nice stay in this hotel in a quiet and pretty corner of Lynmouth. The owners were very friendly and even gave us a map and route of Exmoor to show us all the most interesting places. And they were very kind to mail us back a pair of glasses we had accidentally left in the room. Lynmouth is an extremely beautiful place to stay and this must be one of the nicest hotels there.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ben C
Reviewed 26 March 2013

Three of us used this B and B recently for a one night's stay.

It is in desperate need of refurbishment and update. Although clean, the bedding was from the 60's era together with the curtains and the dusty artificial flowers which adorned the walls. No fluffy duvet or pillows here - although bitterly cold outside my bed had only a sheet and a thin sort of quilt. Heating went on on our arrival and after one hour went off again! The place was lacking in comfort . For a night's stay I was supplied with 2 (unwrapped) tea bags; the 1 thin towel in my bedroom by the sink had to also serve as a towel to use after my shower and for my hair. No soap was supplied simply a Carex hand wash in the dismal bathroom (no ensuite just a shared dark bathroom with a fan which whirred incessantly, a sort of front door mat on the floor and a grim sign telling me to wash my hands!) On the back of my door was a sign informing me that I had entered a contract with the owner and, once the room had been booked the whole amount would be taken should I fail to turn up. As the owner had already insisted on payment in full on booking, that was unlikely. How welcoming!

Breakfast was an equally dismal affair. We were not asked what we would like to eat which was a shame as, in fact, I would have liked baked beans on toast. Instead a cooked breakfast was put in front of us on (egg, piece of bacon, a hard tomato and a sausage). Prior to this we were offered a choice of 2 cereals.

My whole impression of this establishment was that it completely lacked any spirit of warmth, welcome or generosity. You are not treated as a valued guest, simply as a necessary evil. What an insult to the brave sea captain whose house this once was!!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
7  Thank LindaDavidM
Reviewed 28 November 2012

I have travelled all over the world during my 57 years and my husband is 62. We have never met such rude arrogant people. Booked a groundfloor room which sounded nice with French windows with access to the garden.as we have a dog and my knees are a bit troublesome. We were told not to arrive until 4.00pm.
When we arrived the proprietor was not very welcoming,and showed us a room at the top of what seemed to be a steep narrow metal fire escape up to the first floor on the outside of the building. My dog couldn't make it and I didn't like the idea of using this to get in and out ,and to go to breakfast. I said we had booked a ground floor room and he said his wife thought we would be warmer. He said we could have the groundfloor room but the heating was off and when we looked the French windows were blocked up and could not be used, so we had no access to the garden.
We said we didn't think we couldn't stay, at which point Mrs Parker started shouting at us, and her husband said "I wouldn't say any more, my wife's getting angry !" Beautiful setting though, I know Lynmouth well, shame that people like this live there.

Room Tip: don't stay here
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple