“Freindly, welcoming and helpfull”

The Captain's House
Ranked #12 of 15 Lynmouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Looking for a relaxing stress free break? I found the Captain's House on line and instantly booked it. Set next to the River and across the bridge to a few pubs shops and the harbour this historical place had all the character you would expect. The walks and the view are very beautiful and the sound of the river outside the bedroom window is soothing.
The décor of the House has it's own character, love it or hate it I couldn't complain.
The room we stayed in had it's bathroom opposite our bedroom door, we had a key and it was very clean. I took towels but didn't need them and there was a nice tray of tea bags and coffee for refreshment.
The bed was great! lovely and comfy, in general we found the place very clean we both slept well and ate a full English breakfast every morning.
The proprietor was very informative and we booked to eat at the Bistro as places tend to get booked up really fast. I'd love to go back again as would like to try the Lobster in the Sun Inn.
All in all a very enjoyable and relaxing weekend!

Room Tip: I would say not a place for night clubbers, The room was clean, decent sized bed and comfy, quiet ar...
1  Thank Sharon S

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Just had a lovely weekend staying at Captains House. As soon as we arrived the owner was very friendly and helpful. The room had lots of character and bed very comfy. Perfect location for visiting lynmouth.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Rcharl
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We stayed here for the 2nd time in 10yrs, I forgot we had been there before & soon remembered about the awful dark dreary furniture all rather wierd decor.
On entering our room I drew the heavy gathered net curtains back to look at
the view,& to let some light in. Im sorry I forgot to pull them back again. When we went out , he came in our room to pull net curtains back.
( I didnt like the thought of him in our room, we could of had personal things about.)
When we had tea in the garden ,he said would we like cake. I thought it was a kind offering....but no he wanted to charge us.He seemed to be put out when we declined the cake.
Breakfast was on a tiny plate with strong bacon & the sausage was horrible & Pale.
He seemed very unfriendly & I certainly wont want to stay again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Pam G
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I would not normally review somewhere that I spent probably less than 30 minutes visiting, but since a lovely day out was spoilt by our visit to this establishment I have felt compelled to look it up on Tripadvisor and to add my pennies worth. It was an absolutely beautiful day and having walked the lovely coastal path to the Valley of the Rocks, admiring the stunning views, had a nice lunch, pottered about the harbour area in Lynmouth and then taken a stroll up the river valley, my partner and I being somewhat hot and jaded felt in need of some refreshment. At this point and heading back towards the sea we alighted upon the pretty tea gardens belonging to this B&B and decided to sit for a while and order a drink. Save to say the owner was incredibly rude (I have no doubt it was he having read the previous comments) such that we were left in absolutely stunned silence, and being too tired to articulate any response and if we had not already ordered would have walked out. Coming from a seaside resort ourselves we know how important customer service is and the value to be placed upon a good recommendation which like the ripples in a pond can benefit not just the business itself but a tourist hotspot as a whole. Likewise a bad experience at the hands of a perhaps less than welcoming proprietor can be very damaging to everyone. Judging by the extremely polarised views expressed here there appear to be two camps of opinion, but I for one would not stay here based on this experience.

4  Thank Travelbunnydevon
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We chose this B&B as it's on the SW Coast Path route. We stayed 1 night but never again and do NOT recommend it. Our twin-bed room was tiny; VERY uncomfortable beds; there was a basin (very old fashioned with a curtain around the edge of the basin to the floor - it took me back to what you saw in houses in the 1950's). There was a single wardrobe in the corner with a small TV on top. My friend had to stand on a chair to turn it on and then stand on the bed to get the remote to activate the TV; picture was rubbish so we gave up on that. The fire door to our room was VERY heavy. No disrespect to anyone but I doubt that an elderly person would be able to open it on their own; we're both fit and we struggled with it. In addition to that, the door didn't open fully as it hit the bottom of one of the beds. The cramped shower, toilet and basin was along the corridor. There was no towel or paper towels if you just wanted to use the toilet. I'm surprised this establishment has been passed by whatever body of inspections are undertaken for B&B's. The standard of breakfast was poor. If you're like us, and walking the SWCP, I advise finding somewhere else to stay, or walk a few more miles and find somewhere of a better standard.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank ChristineUK001
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Cream tea in garden was lovely. Very dark in the hall and stairs, but in keeping with the age of the house I guess, . Did not like the dark eklectic kwerky decor much.The double bed in the Captains room had wood under the mattress which made it extremely hard and uncomfortable. Room and bathroom were clean, but no hot water at 7 am. Host very amiable and informative about the area and history of the town, but did not have attention to detail we would have liked. The breakfast had one cheapest ever sausage, none of it really up to standard, so disappointed overall. We had a premium price room but not worth the money at all. Would NOT have liked to be there in the cold weather, luckily it was hot and sunny so we saw it all in best conditions. River walk is stunning but stay somewhere else. Only stayed one night. thankfully.

Room Tip: If you like antique furniture and eastern influence decor ok but not my taste at all.
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Quite surprised to be asked for the money before we had put our suitcases down. Cold wet weekend in April and no heating - with a riverside location that would otherwise have been beautiful it was totally spoiled by the bone chilling cold. We went to the Bath Hotel two evenings just to get warm - booked for three nights but left after two as couldn't face another cold night. Breakfast quality poor - ancient mushrooms leathery eggs and cheap sausage (one). Shocked when a fellow guest asked if she could have an uncooked tomato with her breakfast to be told "we serve them hot!" Suggest you try Lorna Doone a few doors down where we stayed last year or the Bath Hotel which is lovely and warm and serves good food

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple