“A grade prices but with C grade rooms”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of The Bath Hotel

The Bath Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Lynmouth
Swindon
“A grade prices but with C grade rooms”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

We were quoted £70 per room as a preferential rate for a wedding party. I found out that the room only had a bath but no shower. If we wanted a shower, we would have to pay £85 for an "A" grade room which we did. We arrived to find a very basic, dated room with woodchip on the walls, gloss painted furniture and some flowery curtains from the 70's. The bathroom was so small, the sink wasn't even in it! We were prepared to put up with it until I found out that a friend of mine (at the same wedding and on the same basis) paid £70 for a Luxury room (normally £125 a night I believe). It had been recently decorated, had a leather bed, new bathroom suite etc. When I complained about the unfairness of it, I was offered a reduction of £10 per night which didn't even match the original price. It was VERY noisy at night, although you can't blame the hotel for the noise from people outside, apparently a bar along the road has live music on a Saturday night. On the plus side, the room was clean and the breakfast was very good.

3 Thank WirleySwindon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
bristol
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

I cannot praise this place enough. We'd stayed just once before in March 2012. We had taken our elderly dog there for a 'goodbye trip' they were wonderful and ensured we did not have to spend one second away from our baby. They made us up our own special table in the morning for breakfast, which is generous and delicious BTW. Our dog made a recovery whilst we were there, beach and pampering seemed to save him. This October, warned again that the same dog was dying. Called the hotel and luckily they had a room for us the following evening. We got there, they came out into the rain to meet their VIP guest, they even got someone to move out their van so we could park. They remembered us from our last visit! Even tho I had my husband with me they DID offer to carry up our luggage. Yet again, in the morning they'd made us up a special table so we could eat with our dog. Guess what? The dog has improved! He's eating again literally lifesavers!
People this is a period property, it is family ran. Don't expect identikit rooms with identikit bathrooms. Go to Travelodge if that's what you are after.
If you want charm, a beautiful quiet location, fantastic service and be sent off with a happy tummy and a saved pooch
Go here.
Wonderful

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank featherfusions
bridgend
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

no sunday roasts being served so I settled for fish and chips my wife had ham<see through> eggs and chips, very basic but ok for the price. if your after a quick meal this is it! would most probably call in again but for a drink only, the prices were very good!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Exeter, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

I just stayed one night en route to Ilfracombe and then on to Lundy Island.

Positives: The hotel is lovely, quite genteel in atmosphere and in really a perfect location. Room good, clean and comfortable. Breakfast good, served promptly and cooked and presnted well. No shower just a bath but then that's what it's like in older style places and actually a nice deep, hot bath at night was lovely!

Negatives: There is no lift and there was not even a hint of an offer to help or carry my suitcase up 3 flights of stairs. When I arrived the receptionist was busy signing in guests then she looked at me and said something resembling ... "Y'ware Yoness?". I had to ask her 3 times to repeat and I still didn't understand! She was very nice and apolgetic though and then I caught the drift that she was asking if I was with the previous Jones family!!! Not her fault that she has a VERY strong and almost unintelligable Eastern European accent. The fault is with the hotel owners who employ someone (probably on minimum wage!) who can't communicate properly in English!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Dorset, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night while walking the SWCP. Nothing wrong with it but no sparkle. No lift and quite a long way to haul the luggage up to the second floor. Packed lunch uninspiring and relatively expensive. Nice breakfast though.

• Stayed September 2013
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

Pretty much agree with many of these reviews. The lack of showers is an issue as is the labyrinth of corridors and stairs making it impossible for the disabled ot infirm to stay here. Breakfast was excellent although the quality of the sausages should be looked at. Dinner was awful - I am not sure if the chef changes during the day but a definite drop in quality over breakfast. On the plus side, rooms were clean and several have excellent views over the harbour. Staff are a mix of locals and east Europeans but on the whole are polite and hepful. The bar adjoining the hotel is to be avoided. In summary, I would not put anyone off staying here but am sure there are better equipped hotels in the area.

1 Thank MikeCrane
Cardiff, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

Stayed at this hotel in Lynmouth with friends for the weekend. While it's in a good location and clean it really needs an update. Our room was ensuite but there was no shower, just a bath and the sink was in the bedroom itself!!! The hotel literature says that some rooms have a shower so I guess we drew the short straw! In this day and age however I don't think a shower is too much to ask. I think The Bath Hotel (and yes the clue is in the name) needs to realise that this is 2013 and not 1913. Quaint and a sense of the past is all well and good but it's simply not acceptable not to have these basics in place. However, if you enjoy running a bath in the morning and trying to wash your hair with the kettle this place might be for you. It's certainly not for me.

5 Thank Allthingsorange
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lynmouth
The Rising Sun Hotel
#1 of 9 in Lynton
Kentisbury Grange
Kentisbury Grange
#1 of 1 in Kentisbury

Been to The Bath Hotel? Share your experiences!