“Expensive but well worth it.”

The Rising Sun Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Lynmouth
Newbury, United Kingdom
“Expensive but well worth it.”
Reviewed 29 February 2012

I booked a 2 night stay at the Rising sun over the 13th and 14th Feb with my Fiance and our 6 month old baby girl. I had booked a table for Valentines night too. When I booked, I was in Lynmouth and made the booking in person. I spoke with Michelle on the Hotel reception and made the arrangements for our stay. She did tell me that a baby would not be allowed into the resturant after 6 or 7 pm, I can't remember exactly now. What she did do, which was far better and more private than sitting in the resturant was to allow us to have our valentines meal with our baby while we all sat in the wood panelled snug that was situated between the resturant and pub. With a window giving us a nice view of the harbour. It was very well decorated for valentines for us. So I proposed in the Rising Sun and she said "YES".
The meal was fantastic, true top class resturant food. Definately worth visiting.
We stayed in room 2, which was a very nice room with ensuite bath and shower. A nice big room.
The Rising Sun has a lot of olde world charm and character with its narrow corridors and their slopping floors. Walls covered with wood paneling. A very nice old place to stay.
The staff are very friendly and will go the extra mile to help out.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Newbury, ENGLAND
Reviewed 28 February 2012

My Partner and I absolutely love this hotel.
We have stayed here many times over the years in different rooms but recently stayed in room 5 (newly refurbed) which is a large double with Sea view and will say you won't be dissappointed with it.

The breakfasts are delicious...I think we agreed that the poached egg on toast was the winner! We have also eaten in the restuarant a couple of times as the food is very tasty. - the evening meals are pricey if you compare to other pubs nearby but belive me it's worth paying the extra as I experienced the worst spag bol ever at the Village Inn round the corner (although the pub is nice & friendly).

The views from the hotel and the nearby coastal walks are amazing all contribute to making Lynmouth one of my favourite places in the world.

Tip: Watch out as the roads are narrow and windy in places and the gradients are steep - quite a few cars seen to burn out their brakes!

Room Tip: Room 5 has just ben refurbed and is very spacious with T.V etc.
Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Solihull
Reviewed 17 February 2012

My partner booked this hotel for Valentines night, and he thought the Rising Sun being the most expensive one, it would also be the most special one.
It is very unfortunate I have to mark it as one star, for mistakes that they could avoid and sustain a good reputation.
The room was far too small, in fact the smallest room we stayed in. The room number 16, would may be get away being a single room, but hiring it as a double is just Wrong. Looking at other reviews now, it seems to me the other rooms have their own problems.
Yes! we did see the warning on their site: "some of the sea view rooms are smaller", but it failed to mention that it is ridiculously small. It should say, "The size of our double room wouldn't even make a reasonable single, but you pay for staying in an old cottage".
One side of the double bed was so close to the wall that I had to squeeze through. We had no space to unpack our bags, so we had to leave them on the floor, and jump over them to get into the bathroom.
The bathroom was just another problem. There was no shower curtain, and nothing to hold up the shower . There was a lot of noise and shake when you try to mix hot and cold water. Regardless of all that if you insist you will have your shower,
then the water temperature can change to make its point: you came to the wrong place. Luckily it was my arm felt the boiling hot water, not my face.
I have never wrote such a negative review before and I try to avoid, since everyone makes mistakes. But I found it very mean for Rising Sun to price their rooms so high, fit a double into a hardly single room. I would rate the room 1, but I enjoyed the breakfast, and liked the staff that would deserve the rating 4 if this reviews was just for them.
Since we were there for business too, we visited a few other hotels the next day. Their prices ranged from 50 to 100. 100 being what would have been a real treat, if we stayed there, oh I wish we did! May be next valentines :). And 60 for the best views from the riverside! It is not the price that matters to me at all.
I was just upset that we were too uncomfortable with the lack of space. Its not all bad though, since we didn't eat there we had the opportunity to go out and meet the lovely locals and enjoy the fantastic views (from outside:). I hope to go to Lyn Valley again, and of course stay somewhere else!

Room Tip: If you are going to book this hotel, ask them exactly how big the room is, and make sure you will ha...
3 Thank miss79
N Devon
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Very quaint charming hotel and pub set in senic position overlooking the harbour. We arrived in the morning and walked to Watermeet which was breathtaking. The staff at the hotel were welcoming polite and the pub had a great atmosphere full of tourists and locals, which is always a good sign. Room wasnt large but very old building so this was expected but the views were pretty and the noise of the waves breaking at night was very relaxing. We ate in the restaurant which was full, but this didnt affect the service which was attentive and efficient. The food was of good quality with a varied choice, something for everyone. Would definatly stay again and would like to say an extra special thank you to Helen on reception for going above and beyond.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Excellent location with fantastic views from our window overlooking harbour and up the river. Our room had been renovated, was comfortable and clean. The hotel is so old but had so much charm, corridors with changing ceiling heights, narrow winding stairways - perfect quaint seaside hotel. Breakfast was very good, with chefs on hand to cook want you wished. However the dinner meals were too expensive and upmarket for us. When we stayed 2 other couples from Rising Sun also ate at the only other place(pub) open at night in Lynmouth. Considering it was winter and low season and not many town shops were open during the day the room rates were rather pricey. But the Lynmouth/Lynnton area is so scenic it was a favourite location on our travels.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
london
Reviewed 13 January 2012

We stayed this hotel back in 2007, the night of the day we got married and thought it'd be very nice to be back.
Considering how much we paid, we thought they have improved their services to a much higher standard. It was a bit of a disappointment. We found it very overpriced as you would pay dramatically less for the similar accommodations nearby.
The food also was priced really high and after reading reviews about the dining experiences people had there, we decided not to. Menu seemed to be pushing for being a bit posh and it just did not fit in with the whole setting!
Anyway, there are good things to be mentioned. Breakfast was excellent, eventhough hotel was very quite ,as it is the low season, they had a good choice of breakfast to offer.
Location of the hotel is fantastic, Lynmouth is a beautiful town. However everything was shut because it is January. I assume it is just the British sea side laziness to close down all the shops in winter. Also had difficulty to find a place to eat or have tea even. Lynmouth is quite far away from other towns so if you are going in winter time you must be prepared for isolation.
Stuff was friendly and polite. Room was clean and tidy but very small.
Overall, eventhough we enjoyed out time in Lynmouth I would not go there in winter time and would not stay in Rising Sun with their current prices .

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Devon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2012

We stayed for one night in The Rising Sun and were very impressed. There was a lovely atmosphere about the place. The staff were all brilliant - so welcoming and friendly. We ate in the restaurant in the evening. The food was excellent. The breakfast in the morning was also good. It was a perfect setting and we thoroughly enjoyed the quirkiness of the building. We would recommend this establishment and intend to go back there again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lynmouth
The Bath Hotel
#4 of 9 in Lynton
East Lyn House
East Lyn House
#4 of 15 in Lynmouth

Been to The Rising Sun Hotel? Share your experiences!