“Superb!”

and 1 more site!
The Rising Sun Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Lynmouth
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Last minute booking due to being let down by another hotel, staff were really welcoming and upgraded our room to a seaview as we were on our honeymoon. Can't fault a thing; room was small, as you would expect from a property of this age, but absolutely spotless and well-equipped. Amazing view over the harbour both from our room and the restaurant. Amazing food. Can't wait to visit again!

Room Tip: Worth upgrading to a seaview room as harbour is lovely.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Linda -
There are newer reviews for The Rising Sun Hotel

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Popped into this hotel's bar for a bite to eat. My wife had a lovely prawn sandwich and I had the mussels in cider & cream with smoked bacon. The mussels were probably the best I've ever had and, even though I'd only order the "starter" it was a really big dish (over 20 mussels!). Staff were friendly and service was very fast. We'll definitely be going back!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pete K
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

We were welcomed with very polite and friendly staff before actually checking in into our room. 2 hours later when we decided to check in the staff were still lovely.. The room was slightly small but very clean and well decorated along with a beautiful sea view. Breakfast was very generous. Started with cereals followed by a good selection of cooked after.From full English to salmon and scrambled eggs.(all inclusive). Breathing taking walks and scenery. Delightful sound of the birds singing in the evening and morning. Looking forward to going back.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Doidge09
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We took a table in the evening unbooked in May on a Tuesday.The restaurant was busy at 7.30 and we had the last table although there were tables for food available in the bar. Welcoming chatty young staff, good small menu specialising in fish, quite pricey for the area.I had excellent chicken livers on toast spoiled by being served on a cold plate so making the whole dish Luke warm. My main was piping hot cod and chips, not exactly rocket science but very fresh and tasty.Unfortunately, I had an unidentified object in my mushy peas which I was told was a large mushy pea.I don't think so! No apology, just a verbal shrug really.My husband had excellent mussels but fared less well with his lemon sole.It was barely cooked and again luke warm because it was served on a cold plate.Not good for £17.This meal could have been very good with just a little attention to detail.It was not bad enough to make a fuss but overall disappointing for £60 for 2 courses, one glass of wine and a beer.

Room Tip: Did not stay, just ate there, toilets were very up market which is always a good sign in a pub.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sanwat
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I have eaten here several times over the past six months and the food seems to get better and better! It's a really nice old pub overlooking the sea at Lynmouth and it has bedrooms I haven't stayed there. The seafood is spectacular. Yesterday I ate there with my husband and two friends. There is a good menu and I can highly recommend the seafood. My husband and I both had the crab slate - £10.95 which was absolutely delicious. Our friends both had the mussels, which are cooked in three different ways. You order which one you want off the menu. The servings were very generous and we're very well received. I had the praline ice cream for pudding which was served with macerated prunes and white chocolate and was one of the best puddings I have ever tasted. The Exmoor Gold was wonderful too. Service is friendly and efficientand we will be back soon.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Lovely stay in a beautiful hotel, staff were very helpful and friendly. Room was cosy and charming with views over the harbour .Food in restaurant was excellent, Hotel is ideally situated for nice long walks.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Marlene W
Reviewed 25 March 2014

The Rising Sun is such a friendly hotel, conveniently placed right next to the harbour, lots of walks, all on the flat.

This hotel is brilliant. The food is outstanding and such a variety of choices to chose from. Well done Clare, Tony and team. We shall return. Shelleys Cottage has incredible views of the beach and the valley. Your own little cottage, all its needs are the 7 dwarfs!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chrissy B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lynmouth
The Bath Hotel
#7 of 9 in Lynton
The Luttrell Arms
The Luttrell Arms
#2 of 3 in Dunster

Been to The Rising Sun Hotel? Share your experiences!